Thurzzzday, TeazzzDay 3/27/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

By request of Victoria, the TeaQuest is expanded to Oolong. So, where are you on the oolong scale, love it, never had it...somewhere in between, or maybe it is on your to try list?

Yes, I have it virtually everyday and truly love it...it is my fav
21%
Yes, I have it more days than not, love it, but it is not my fav
14%
Yes, I have it often, like it a lot
19%
Yes, I have had it
28%
Yes, I have had it but don't care for it
5%
Nope, haven't had it yet, but I certainly hope to soon
7%
Nope, haven't had it and have no plans to
4%
No, I prefer "wulong" to oolong ; )
2%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 57

Mar 27th, '08, 10:04

by witches brew » Mar 27th, '08, 10:04

I doubt I've had GOOD oolong, but I've tasted the tea in Chinese restaurants, so that counts for something.

This morning I'm drinking faux (decaf) Sencha and listening for the sounds of the tea mower.

And just to tease you all: I went teaware shopping at Ito En yesterday, and won't have time to take pictures until the weekend. Nyah, nyah!

Mar 27th, '08, 10:56

by auggy » Mar 27th, '08, 10:56

Before this month I never had oolong outside of a Chinese restaurant, but it has quickly become my second favorite tea (after a year in Japan, I can't not love the greens).

This morning I continue on my search to find a black tea I enjoy. It was a miss today with an Assam. Though I did have an epiphany - good Assams are malty, right? I can't stand malt flavor. Yeah, that could be a problem.... :oops:

Mar 27th, '08, 11:12
Scrolling: scrolling

by fencerdenoctum » Mar 27th, '08, 11:12

Oolong is quickly becoming my favorite tea. I've been trying to cut down on soda lately so I take my gaiwan to lunch with me and its usually filled with Ti Kuan Yin (my personal favorite). I get some strange looks, but its worth it while I'm sitting around a table of people guzzling soda's I can get a cup and do a little "wrong fu" and have 5 cups easy.

No tea yet..it is just 10am and I plan on performing intense tea drinking for the rest of the day. Everyone drinking Yunnan Gold makes me wish I hadn't run out of it so soon. I think when I order it again I'm gonna have to go for the "bucket" size. Got some Pu-erh in th email today along with some houji-cha, so I'll probably be trying that.

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum
*top hat and monocle*

Mar 27th, '08, 11:37

by TimeforTea » Mar 27th, '08, 11:37

Funny coincidence! In my cup this morning, I enjoyed adagio's oolong #18--something new. It's slightly weak--I think I could have used more leaf.

Are oolongs still called "leaf" even though they are wound up into tiny balls? What is the reason they are processed this way? :?:

I'm not sure if this is the correct terminology, but I really like the mouth feel roundness of the oolongs.

Just yesterday, I placed a small sample order with dragonwater which included "champagne oolong". I would also like to try jade oolong.

It's because of your enthusiasm, Victoria, that I've been trying oolongs, instead of my original intention of expanding my green and white tea samples! :wink:

Of course, adagio's jasmine oolong will always remain a tea favorite, despite new ones I try.

Edit: Although today's topic is oolong, I must add that yesterday after dinner, I brewed adagio's white peach for the second time. It was an absolute perfect cup of tea!!! (I may have used too little leaf the first time). Those of you who enjoy peach-tasting oolongs would probably enjoy it. (I wish I had ordered a larger tin...)
Last edited by TimeforTea on Mar 27th, '08, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 27th, '08, 11:38

by RussianSoul » Mar 27th, '08, 11:38

I had oolong and liked it. I like everything I get served in Chinese restaurants, I assume many of these teas would be oolongs. It's just asking servers "what tea is this?" is difficult. I always get "Green tea! verrry good!" type of an answer. I liked two oolongs Victoria sent me. I just don't love them enough to go into a oolong trial and research at this time. I suspect I would love the darker roasts and aged oolongs and plan to try them one of these days.

Scottish Breakfast for me this morning. I will have some Sencha shortly. Maybe I will have Matcha. I'll let you know :wink:

Mar 27th, '08, 11:39

by TimeforTea » Mar 27th, '08, 11:39

tenuki wrote:FP.

thank goodness someone shut off the lawnmower, if only for a day.
That does it. Next time my husband mows the lawn, I'm sending you the grass clippings in tea bags. :lol:

Mar 27th, '08, 11:47

by xine » Mar 27th, '08, 11:47

I long for oolong! dark, green, whatever- I'll have ten cups of it if I'm feeling particularly crazy.

Having the typical Golden Monkey, then I'm looking forward to some white blueberry and TKY of course. :)

Mar 27th, '08, 12:21

by Pentox » Mar 27th, '08, 12:21

Chip wrote:

So, you voted for "wulong" Master tenuki.

The TeaMowers don't crank up for a few weeks yet.
<sigh> a few weeks too long.

Mar 27th, '08, 12:23

by Cinnamon Kitty » Mar 27th, '08, 12:23

I have found one oolong that I really like so far: White Tip Oolong from New Mexico Tea Co. According to their website, it is a Formosa Oolong from the Tung Ting province in Taiwan. I've tried a few greener oolongs, but there was something about the taste that I didn't like. I did not like the Jasmine tea that I tried at all.

Today's tea is Sencha Fukamushi Maki. It is delicious as always.
Last edited by Cinnamon Kitty on Mar 27th, '08, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 27th, '08, 13:01
Location: Somewhere in the wilds of Montana, but never without a teacup.

by skywarrior » Mar 27th, '08, 13:01

I'm quite partial to oolong, but I don't necessarily have it every day. Probably because oolong forces me to think about the tea I am drinking and there are plenty of times where I don't want to. The other problem is the less caffeine, which really screws with me if I don't have enough. So, I'm quite fond of oolong, but it is reserved for evenings and times I want to relax and think about the tea.

For this reason, it is a lovely treat.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes -- Douglas Adams.

Mar 27th, '08, 14:15

by jogrebe » Mar 27th, '08, 14:15

What "No, I prefer "wulong" to oolong" !!!

I thought wulong is just another name for oolong? Don't tell me those "wulong diet scams" have fooled you too.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

Mar 27th, '08, 14:18

by tenuki » Mar 27th, '08, 14:18

Teasweetie wrote:

That does it. Next time my husband mows the lawn, I'm sending you the grass clippings in tea bags. :lol:
Just put a 'Dens' label on it, I'll never know the difference. ;)

(Just kidding, I love dens sencha best)
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Mar 27th, '08, 14:28

by scotty X » Mar 27th, '08, 14:28

word to skywarrior's sentiments.

i try to at least get a cup of ti guan yin every day. i most enjoy the smooth, throat-coating quality of higher grade, greener oolongs, esp those from taiwan, but the toastiness of the more oxidized styles can hit the spot sometimes. the complexity and depth of high mountain oolongs and pouchongs make them some of my favorite teas.

i must say, i feel like ti guan yin is the archetypal oolong, in that it shares characteristics of both greener oolongs and blacker oolongs without really fitting into either category. i like this versatility, and every time i drink it, i feel like i'm under the shade of guanyin's lotus.

the last of my namring 2nd flush got me through the morning, now it's gifu sencha for lunch.

Mar 27th, '08, 14:54
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 27th, '08, 14:54

Master tenuki and his TeaMower

WOW, very interesting comments, I felt like I had to quote and reply to more than 20 of them. Very interesting TeaDay.

Oolong can be very frustrating for me. I have had some not so great experiences with certain vendors, such as one with the initials UTI. And reordering an oolong that I liked and receiving something completely different that was very mundane... :cry:

And then, I have had some oolong on the other hand that "made me sit down" or I might have fallen down...it was that amazing.

I find I tend to lean strongly towards greener oolongs, but have had some amazing Da Hong Pao as well. I answered I love them and have oolong more days than not. Maybe like 4 days a week type of thing.

Today, Fukamushi Superior...I am going through this bag really quickly. It is very flavorful and priced cheap. It has a certain degree of roughness to it that I find to be acceptable because of the price...and it is not bothersome to me.

Mar 27th, '08, 16:14

by olivierco » Mar 27th, '08, 16:14

Another houjicha, a Darjeeling Puttabong S.F.T.G.F.O.P.1, five steeps of Uji Gyokuro "Yume no Ukihashi" (no teamower for this one as it is handpicked master Tenuki) and now a Rooibos to close the day.
No oolong since a few weeks, I am in a Japanese green phase.