Box pass?

"Retired" Swaps SubForum

Mar 27th, '08, 22:01

Box pass?

by Eastree » Mar 27th, '08, 22:01

Chip, Mary, other mods: If this is in poor taste or the wrong section, discipline me accordingly. I've seen this done on wet shaving forums (with soaps and creams and blades, and the occasional razor), and on tobacco forums with cigars, pipe tobacco, and the occasional lighter or pipe. They've also done it with tea. the venerable Hobbes has contributed much. So i thought I might feel it out here.

The way it works, is that someone starts the shipment with a large box partially full of tea(s) and *maybe* some brewing vessels. People join the thread to aprticipate, and somehow (I'm not completely sure how, probably via pm and/or post order) addresses are exchanged and the box is passed on. Everyone tries some teas, and everyone adds some tea. People new to tea can feel free to try much, since there may be much to try.

So I thought maybe I'd pass along the idea before passing along any tea. I currently have one cake each of raw and cooked puerh, and one ounce of Wen Mountain Baozhong to send, along with a bag of mini tuocha in case someone is curious about them.

Some further rules:
* Each tea must be packaged to leak *minimal* odor (at least two zipper bags, but ideally enough for a perfect seal)
* Every tea must be clearly labeled
* If there is a large amount of that tea, do not take it all. Others also want to try it.
* If the amount of that tea is low, go ahead and finish it, if you want to try it.
* One must add more tea, high dollar or not.

So ... any thoughts?

Mar 27th, '08, 22:07

by RussianSoul » Mar 27th, '08, 22:07

Provided we have moderators' approval, I would love to participate in such a Box.

I have done similar send-around-play-and-share activity with another one of my hobbies, and it is a lot of fun.

Mar 27th, '08, 22:37

by forkyfork » Mar 27th, '08, 22:37

I saw this done on an LJ community and it was called "the traveling tea box". I would love to be apart of this, as I have lots of tea to donate :)

Mar 27th, '08, 22:39

by Ladytiger » Mar 27th, '08, 22:39

Sounds fun. Maybe instead of it going all willy-nilly with addresses have a list of addresses of who is next up for the box and new people are just added and one it gets passed to everyone at least once we ould go around again.

Mar 28th, '08, 01:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 28th, '08, 01:08

It sounds very interesting to me, but please permit the Mods and our host to discuss this subject.

[Mary's Edit: It sounds interesting to me, too. Chip, are you putting the matter to our gracious hosts?]

Apr 2nd, '08, 23:59

by DangerInRed » Apr 2nd, '08, 23:59

I've done this before (with tea actually!) on another board I frequent. IT really is quite fun! Just make sure to keep the tea sealed well.

Apr 3rd, '08, 18:33

by Eastree » Apr 3rd, '08, 18:33

Chip wrote:It sounds very interesting to me, but please permit the Mods and our host to discuss this subject.

[Mary's Edit: It sounds interesting to me, too. Chip, are you putting the matter to our gracious hosts?]
Chip, that's exactly why I posted the way I did. There was no precedent here, and I though a new thread about "OMGAR ! Let's pass a box around! Who's with me?!" would have been a bit presumptuous.

Apr 11th, '08, 02:49

by Eastree » Apr 11th, '08, 02:49

I have been given permission, with slight limitations, to go ahead with the box pass.

THIS IS NOT THE INITIATION OF THE PASS! I AM STILL GATHERING RESOURCES TO START THE PASS

Full rules and such will be disclosed with the box pass. But I have a couple questions for the sake of opinion:

>> Shipping: Does it matter whether tracking is used in the method of shipping the box to the next person? There is always the risk of someone claiming to have shipped the box, and it was not (which is highly unlikely) or the package getting lost, which is rare.

>> The box pass will be limited to CONUS, unfortunately, due to shipping costs and taxes (for the people outside the US).

That's it for now! Hopefully the next progress you hear on hte pass will be the new thread!

Apr 11th, '08, 03:08

by Chip » Apr 11th, '08, 03:08

Best of luck to this endeavor!!!

Yet another great way to share TEA. Good job Eastree.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 15th, '08, 16:45

by Eastree » Apr 15th, '08, 16:45

OK, to get a little opinion feedback before this kicks off: Should I include a gaiwan and possibly a scale with the pass, for those who don't have one and may need it (such as for puerh)?

Apr 15th, '08, 18:59

by Pentox » Apr 15th, '08, 18:59

Hm, personally I would say no, but I see perfectly valid reason to. I would have slight concern about the gaiwan breaking with consistent box sending, and with the scale I guess that's fine to ship, but up to you.

Apr 15th, '08, 19:22

by Chip » Apr 15th, '08, 19:22

Since you went public with the question.

...every item you add to the box adds weight...equals more shipping costs...and yes, more breakage potential and "loss pssibilities."

I thought that is a great idea, but now I am having second thoughts. It is a cool idea to add teaware and accesories...maybe a thermometer anyway.

Apr 15th, '08, 19:37

by RussianSoul » Apr 15th, '08, 19:37

Hey, Eastree, I wonder if you would like some more teas to add to the box to have a bigger stash upfront. If you think it's useful, I have a bunch to contribute. I can send them to you before the box starts its journey. Let me know.

Apr 15th, '08, 19:38

by Chip » Apr 15th, '08, 19:38

RussianSoul wrote:Hey, Eastree, I wonder if you would like some more teas to add to the box to have a bigger stash upfront. If you think it's useful, I have a bunch to contribute. I can send them to you before the box starts its journey. Let me know.
"Russian Caravan?" :wink:

Apr 15th, '08, 19:44

by Eastree » Apr 15th, '08, 19:44

I think I should at least wait on teaware until the next pass, then.

Russian Soul: The way the pass works isn't so much that the first person loads up and sends out, but that everyone in line also has a chance to add.

I'll revise the draft post and send it to the mods tonight for approval. Hopefully we can have this in the works in a couple weeks! (to give a list some tie to build up)