White Tea and Sweetners

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Mar 28th, '08, 10:34

White Tea and Sweetners

by fbones24 » Mar 28th, '08, 10:34

I just started drinking white tea as opposed to green. I ordered my first sample of White Peony and love it so far. I was wondering if anyone adds any sweetner to their white teas? It seems like a little sweetner could enhance the flavor, but I do not want to ruin it. Any thoughts?

Mar 28th, '08, 10:50

by daughteroftheKing » Mar 28th, '08, 10:50

I'm a sweet kinda gal, myself :wink: . Brings out the flavor of most teas for my tastebuds. Mostly I use liquid stevia, just a few drops to a cup (label says 1 drop for every 2 oz., but that's way too sweet for me and ends up covering the tea).

Try a little of your favorite sweetener/sugar/honey. At worst, if you don't like it you've only lost one cup as the leaves should be good for multiple steepings.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Mar 28th, '08, 11:01

by fbones24 » Mar 28th, '08, 11:01

Thanks daughter. I actually just tried adding some stevia to my next cup and I agree with you. I think it definitely helps bring out the flavor rather than masking it. Not too much though!

Mar 28th, '08, 14:56

by augie » Mar 28th, '08, 14:56

Agave nectar I have found at Target and Meijer. You can also get it at any health food store. It's a mild sweetness. Also pricey$.

Mar 29th, '08, 13:22

by TexasTea » Mar 29th, '08, 13:22

I love agave nectar! It's a much lighter taste than honey, doesn't overpower the tea so easily. I suggest Whole Foods - buy it in a squeeze bottle for the table 1 time, then invest in a gallon jug for $32 and refill the squeeze bottle as needed. MUCH cheaper this way if you can get past the initial cost.

Apr 4th, '08, 01:11

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Apr 4th, '08, 01:11

I have to say that I feel adding sweetner to any tea (other than perhaps southern style sweet tea) is a wrong thing to do to such a wonderful and complex liquid...especially white. I drink all teas straight, but I can "live" with people adding some honey to green tea or some sugar to black tea, but I feel a good white tea has such a nice sweet and floral flavor already that there is no need to add anything. I think white, especially silver needle is one of the only teas that really really tastes pretty sweet. Obviously what is good for some is not good for all and who am I to tell you how you should take your tea. I suppose I would say give it a few more tries without sweetener and see if you can pick up on some of the complex and subtle flavors white tea has to offer!

-Nick (TaiPing)

+ Post Reply