Orange Blossom Oolong

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 30th, '08, 18:42
Scrolling: scrolling

Orange Blossom Oolong

by Victoria » Mar 30th, '08, 18:42

To anyone I sent Chado Tea Room Orange Blossom oolong to, please forgive me. As several people know, I had a hard time with that one. The aroma, oh my, so incredibly lovely. Like no tea I have smelled before. Bursting with the scent of juicy oranges mingled with the sweet aroma of pure orange blossoms. I mean this stuff could (and should) be used for potpourri. So amazingly mouthwatering and yet the brew, well it was less than stellar. Perhaps because too much real orange rind was used, but whatever the factor it was harsh and bitter and downright acrid.

The negativity of that purchase made such a lasting impression that when my Orange Blossom oolong from the New Mexico Tea Company arrived, I quickly set it aside. Not anxious for history to repeat itself, yet still curious if there could be a "gently scented" oolong that could win me over. Not being too big a fan of roses or jasmine in tea, there is something more appealing about orange blossom. Even in the fragrances I choose, I'm quickly drawn to anything orange blossom, and less so with the other two.

And so this afternoon, I brew New Mexico Tea Co Orange Blossom Oolong -
The aroma is light, sweet, true and softly orange. The color is light orange and clear. I believe the quest that was on my mind was to find a scented orange blossom oolong, that didn't impart any flavor to the tea. However, I find the addition of the natural orange flavor to this tea to be quite charming and enjoyable. Very harmonious, the aroma, the color, the taste. I brewed it with different parameters then the website, and with great success on my first try. Just off boil, 2 rounded teaspoons, 14 oz, 5 minutes. No rinse.

Just completely and simply ... lovely.

Sometimes something unexpected turns out to be extraordinary.
I love it when that happens.

Mar 30th, '08, 20:33

by RussianSoul » Mar 30th, '08, 20:33

Sounds like a lovely tea to try, Victoria. Thank you for taking time to share. I am adding it to my list.

Mar 31st, '08, 02:47

by Chip » Mar 31st, '08, 02:47

The sounds sublimely delicious. Much better than that blaring version you had recently.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 31st, '08, 10:11

by CynTEAa » Mar 31st, '08, 10:11

Nice! Thanks for sharing. It sounds lovely. :)

Mar 31st, '08, 16:17

Orange Blossom Oolong

by Katrina » Mar 31st, '08, 16:17

I also have to recommend Zhi Tea's Orange Blossom Oolong. Wonderful. I posted recently on The Tea Pages.
Last edited by Katrina on Apr 1st, '08, 08:40, edited 2 times in total.

Apr 1st, '08, 08:21

Oolong Tea

by oolongteas » Apr 1st, '08, 08:21

lovely article I am a big fan of oolong tea & I think u are taking about
something of Cinnamon Orange Oolong tea if not then it may be quit similar to this.
Lovely taste.

Edited by Chip as new users are not permitted to post links in their first few postings.

Apr 12th, '08, 14:00

by omegapd » Apr 12th, '08, 14:00

V was kind enough to send me a sample of this and I tried it this morning. I concur with her review, this is an excellent orange flavored Oolong. I went a touch different in the brewing than she did and stuck to the manufacturer's recommendation and got a mild, light yellow colored cup that still had quite a bit of orange aroma and taste. In fact, it reminds me a lot of a high end Orange Spice blend because it has a slight touch of spice in the aftertaste to me.

In lucky fashion, I received an order I placed with New Mexico Tea Co. as I type this. The owner is a class act, throwing in free samples galore and even green tea breath mints. I hope the rest of his teas are as interesting and as high quality as this Oolong.

Thanks Victoria-

EW

Apr 12th, '08, 16:25

by Victoria » Apr 12th, '08, 16:25

Awww thanks EW, I'll turn you into an oolong drinker yet!

Apr 12th, '08, 16:49

by Salsero » Apr 12th, '08, 16:49

Victoria wrote:I'll turn you into an oolong drinker yet!
What a blood curdling threat! (Maybe a Threat Level of 3 on The Homeland Security Advisory System)

Victoria + Tenuki = oolong conspiracy (the gang of two)

+ Post Reply