monday TEADAY 3/31/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do me a flavor and tell me, do you favor flavors in your tea?

Yes, I love flavored tea and drink it all day
2%
Yes, I really like it and drink flavored tea virtually everyday
5%
Yes, I like it and drink flavored tea more days than not
29%
No, I have tried it, but don't like flavors in my tea
38%
No, haven't tried it and will not try it
2%
Other
24%

Total votes: 55

Mar 31st, '08, 04:47
Scrolling: scrolling

monday TEADAY 3/31/08

by Chip » Mar 31st, '08, 04:47

Today is a special day for me, so I will celebrate with a lot of tea...might even have a TeaParty.

Welcome to TeaDay. Remember to stop by and share what is in your cup throughout the day. Be sure to see what is in everyone else's cup as well.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is regarding flavors in tea. This is a rather controversial subject I have found. So, of course express your opinion/sentiment, but please be sensitive to the opinions of others.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone on TeaDay.
Last edited by Chip on May 27th, '09, 01:41, edited 3 times in total.

Mar 31st, '08, 05:42

by Terrasi » Mar 31st, '08, 05:42

Flavored teas just seem wrong. I want to taste the tea, am I wrong? I suppose it's all personal opinion though.

Though I do add spearmint/peppermint/lemongrass to my teas when the mood hits me, does that count?

Happy tea day people, I think I will have Rooibos today (yeah I'm a rebel).

Mar 31st, '08, 06:02

by Trioxin » Mar 31st, '08, 06:02

Every once in a while I do flavored tea, usually a few strains of saffron or maybe some ginger or clove when the mood strikes me. For iced teas though, I usually drink blackberry or lychee.

Currently sipping Puttabong FTGFOP1 First Flush. One of my faves from 2007.

Mar 31st, '08, 06:04

by olivierco » Mar 31st, '08, 06:04

I drink only jasmine tea as flavored tea, but I drink it a lot.

This morning Yunnan golden tips for breakfast

Mar 31st, '08, 06:06

by Trey Winston » Mar 31st, '08, 06:06

I'm kind of a purist and prefer my tea unflavored, but I can understand that some like their white tea to have a stronger flavor than the natural one.

Continuing my Silver Needle immersion today.

Mar 31st, '08, 06:12

by Terrasi » Mar 31st, '08, 06:12

Trioxin wrote:Every once in a while I do flavored tea, usually a few strains of saffron or maybe some ginger or clove when the mood strikes me. For iced teas though, I usually drink blackberry or lychee.

I found lychee tea at a supermarket in Denver, so I had to try it, I liked it a lot and none of my friends had heard of it.

Mar 31st, '08, 06:17

by Victoria » Mar 31st, '08, 06:17

In my cup this morning - Yunnan Gold.

Happy Birthday to a certain Moderator who works very hard at putting together our daily polls, and starting every TeaDay for us. Not to mention moderating the forums, welcoming newbies, answering questions and fighting tirelessly against spammers. So knowledgeable and helpful and always there with a smile and his quick wit.

Here's to you on your special day - we really appreciate all you do!

~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHIP! ~

Mar 31st, '08, 06:36

by Trey Winston » Mar 31st, '08, 06:36

Victoria wrote:
Here's to you on your special day - we really appreciate all you do!
Second that.

Happy birthday, Chip!

Mar 31st, '08, 08:53

by TimeforTea » Mar 31st, '08, 08:53

Happy Birthday, Chip!!! :D

This cuppa tea is for you, Chip!!!

Wishing you the very best birthday which you so deserve!!! Thank you for making tea chat the BEST forum ever!!! Victoria said it well--you welcome newbies with open arms; you share your tea knowledge in a friendly way; you're always there ready to chime in to answer a question, share an opinion, or lighten things up with your great sense of humor. What would teachat be without you?? :D

This morning, I tried my free sample of green Earl Grey--did not like it. Now I am finishing up a cuppa Valentines tea.

Flavored tea--yes, I enjoy it. :oops: Citron green was one of the first teas I tried. However, I do plan to drink more unflavored tea in the near future to be able to enjoy the true taste of the brewed tea leaves.

CynTEAa had a good idea. My next cup, in honor of Chip, will be adagio's gyokuro. I am eager to hear what special teas Chip treated himself to today!
Last edited by TimeforTea on Mar 31st, '08, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 31st, '08, 09:15

by CynTEAa » Mar 31st, '08, 09:15

:D HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHIP!!! :D

Wishing you many happy cups! Thanks for all that you do!!

Yunnan Gold yet again this morning. Flavored teas are fun and can be the bridge that helps me share my tea passion with the uninitiated. My preference is usually non-flavored tea but every now and then, I'll reach for a flavored. I do enjoy blending them...

In honor of our esteemed moderator, I will make my next cup a nice gyokuro.

Cheers!

Mar 31st, '08, 09:17

by Beanbean » Mar 31st, '08, 09:17

Not a big fan of flavored tea. For me, tea has a flavor and that's the one I enjoy. I will admit to being a Typhoo Earl Grey fan when I was a teenager but I kicked that habit when I found my first really good Ceylon.

I started my day with a big mug of Assam. I'm off to class and won't get any tea until I get home :shock: and that will probably be Darjeeling. I'm awaiting an Adagio shipment of four different samplers: both blacks, oolong and green. Can't wait!

Mar 31st, '08, 09:33

by RussianSoul » Mar 31st, '08, 09:33

Happy Birthday, Chip!

Have a great tea day and tea year. The wonderful moderator and tea friend that you are, may the TeaKarma be with you. Thank you for making TeaChat special for us!

I have tried a number of flavored teas (they sound so good in the descriptions) and came to a conclusion that they are not my cup of tea. The only flavored tea I can tolerate is Jasmine, and this is only if Jasmine is very subtle. I cannot deal with mint/chamomile/ginger/lemongrass/insert_any_sweet_flavor_here.

Having a second cup of Adagio Irish Breakfast. Tasty as usual.

Mar 31st, '08, 09:35

by witches brew » Mar 31st, '08, 09:35

Well, it just depends. Sometimes I use a pinch of tea to flavor my tisanes.

Everything has a flavor of some sort. I enjoy real flavors, things that taste like themselves. Orange peels and lemongrass, mint, licorice root, cloves and cinnamon, all these things make flavorful tisanes.

I am ambivalent about some of the candy shop flavors.

What I'm not ambivalent about is that all these things that steep into delicious beverages are things of joy and value to those who treasure them. Teas, flavored teas, tisanes. It's all a matter of taste.

My cup is quite empty this morning. Must do something about it. Mint, not so much lemongrass and orange peel are going in as soon as the kettle boils. Still playing around with ideas for a blend.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHIP!

Mar 31st, '08, 09:53

by Cinnamon Kitty » Mar 31st, '08, 09:53

Happy Birthday Chip!

I liked subtly flavored teas, but absolutely hate the really fake, over-powering flavored teas. There are some flavored teas that I like, namely various flavored rooiboses, Adagio's Valentines, and Kyoto Cherry Rose Sencha, but I enjoy the unflavored teas more.

This morning, I have a mug of White Tip Oolong that just finished steeping. The plan is to do three steeps and put the last two in travel mugs for my classes today.

Mar 31st, '08, 10:36

by omegapd » Mar 31st, '08, 10:36

I look at flavored teas like the siren's song...sometimes the description just sounds so good I have to try it- and am usually disappointed in the end.

That said, there are a few flavored teas that remain in my rotation and I drink them a few times a week. Lately, Adagio's Cream has really hit the spot. It is one of the best flavored teas I've had. I also always keep a box handy of Constant Comment...

EW