Hullo! Tea newbie here

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Apr 1st, '08, 10:57

Hullo! Tea newbie here

by cfair_we » Apr 1st, '08, 10:57

Hello all. I suppose I should introduce myself a little seeing as how I've already taken advantage of the advice from some of the wonderful people in these forums already.

I'm quite new to tea, having defected from the coffee world. I just started drinking loose leaf tea in the past month and have found it to be better than I expected. I have tried different bagged teas in the past, but haven't found them very appealing. Then one day I was watching "Good Eats" on the Food Network and the host, Alton Brown, had devoted a show to tea. I hadn't really known how to brew tea like that before and found it to be an educational experience. It was after that show that I decided to try brewing loose leaf tea for myself.

The only problem is I had a difficult time finding a place where I lived that actually sold loose leaf tea. But I was diligent and found a place where I could buy small samples to try without hurting the pocketbook.

I was hooked after my first brew.

I couldn't believe how much better it was when you get the right amount of leaves, water temp, and brew time correct! It was way better than all the supermarket bagged stuff I had tried in the past.

Anyways, this past month has been quite the experience trying different teas and finding ones I like and learning more about brewing it at home and at work.

I look forward to many more discussions with all of you in the future!

Apr 1st, '08, 12:15

by olivierco » Apr 1st, '08, 12:15

Welcome here!
Teachat is the right place to get valuable informations.

Apr 1st, '08, 18:50
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 1st, '08, 18:50

olivierco wrote:Welcome here!
Teachat is the right place to get valuable informations.
Not to mention the TeaFellowship!!!

So, welcome aboard...while you are here, check out TeaDay and share what is in your cup. TeaDay!
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 2nd, '08, 02:39

by Trey Winston » Apr 2nd, '08, 02:39

Interesting story, cfair. Welcome from another coffee defector :D
Trey

Apr 2nd, '08, 10:03

by hop_goblin » Apr 2nd, '08, 10:03

Welcome Cflair! I wish you luck on your tea journey! I am also in MN!

Hop

Apr 2nd, '08, 16:03

by Sam. » Apr 2nd, '08, 16:03

I love Good Eats! I used to watch Food Network constantly before I came to university and lost my TV access. I remembered seeing that episode so I found it on youtube and rewatched it. You can find it in two parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrqBe9sWHsk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RA7aJqf ... re=related

Most people here won't find any new information, but it's a fun show to watch nonetheless!

Oh, and welcome to TeaChat!

Apr 3rd, '08, 11:45

by cfair_we » Apr 3rd, '08, 11:45

Funny, I didn't even think to check YouTube for that episode. Good call! I'm going to have to watch that again.

Thank you, scarrell!

Apr 3rd, '08, 17:58

by Sam. » Apr 3rd, '08, 17:58

Evidently Alton Brown has a fetish for tetsubins! Who knew he was an avid tea-drinker? Maybe he's lurking among us..

Apr 10th, '08, 11:42

by cfair_we » Apr 10th, '08, 11:42

scarrell wrote:Evidently Alton Brown has a fetish for tetsubins! Who knew he was an avid tea-drinker? Maybe he's lurking among us..
Well, if he is, I want to thank him for introducing me to a excellent drink and also on creating an entertaining, enjoyable and informative show. :)

+ Post Reply