wednesday, TEADAY, 4/02/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Augie wants to know, when you started to drink tea seriously, was it to replace or reduce consumption of something else...or a substitution?

Yes, I was trying to reduce and/or eliminate my coffee consumption
9%
Yes, I was trying to reduce and/or eliminate soda/soft drink consumption
5%
Yes, I was trying to reduce calorie consumption in my daily diet and hopefully eat less
No votes
Yes, I was trying to reduce and/or eliminate alcohol consumption
No votes
Yes, I was just trying to reduce and/or eliminate consumption of various other beverages
2%
Yes, I was trying to reduce and/or eliminate my consumption of energy drinks
No votes
Yes, I was simply looking for a more healthy lifestyle choices
8%
No, but son of a gun, it had this effect and I am happier because of it
26%
No, I just discovered TEA, period
38%
Other
12%

Total votes: 65

Apr 2nd, '08, 03:56
Scrolling: scrolling

wednesday, TEADAY, 4/02/08

by Chip » Apr 2nd, '08, 03:56

Well, I hope we all know by now that I was being a very bad Moderator yesterday. The whole China Tea embargo was an April Fools' Day hoax. Forgive me, I needed to be a little Mischievous.

I am planning on drinking massive quatities today! How about you?

So, welcome to TeaDay! We want each of you to share what is in your cup today...and do it often. If you must reflect back on your TeaDay, please do.

Also, make sure you see what everybody else is sipping, that is after all half the fun. It is amazing how many different teas are being consumed and disclosed on TeaDay.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic...many of us came to tea as a form of substituting something we perceived as "bad," and replacing it with something much better, TEA. Augie suggested today's poll subject. I know I fall into at least one of these categories, how about you??? Oh, please share with us your response if you would like!

Thanx a lot Augie for this super suggestion. If you have a suggestion, please PM me. Thanx!

I am looking forward to seeing everyone on TeaDay. Cheers.
Last edited by Chip on Apr 2nd, '08, 04:18, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 2nd, '08, 04:16

by tenuki » Apr 2nd, '08, 04:16

FP

Made it through the day without my older sister fooling me! Her sense of humor is, um, macabre....

Apr 2nd, '08, 04:34

by Trey Winston » Apr 2nd, '08, 04:34

I wanted to drink less coffee, less soda and generally get better nutrition. Tea fit the bill perfectly.

My Silver Needle addiction is rampant, starting my sixth cup of the day already.
Trey

Apr 2nd, '08, 05:13

by omegapd » Apr 2nd, '08, 05:13

Nope, didn't discover tea to rid myself of some other addiction. I liked it, and the added health benefits were a bonus.

EW

Apr 2nd, '08, 05:20

by Terrasi » Apr 2nd, '08, 05:20

I didn't start tea to stop drinking soda and coffee, but because of tea I did. I'm happy for it, since my reduced calorie consumption makes me feel a lot better.

I started drinking tea because I tried it and it was DELICIOUS.

In my cup now: Foxtrot, to help me take a nap.

Apr 2nd, '08, 05:30

by chrl42 » Apr 2nd, '08, 05:30

I drink tea because I was tea in another life.

Apr 2nd, '08, 05:35

by olivierco » Apr 2nd, '08, 05:35

I drink less water.
But since I discovered Gyokuro, I have been drinking champagne a little less frequently.

This morning keemun with breakfast and now (lunch time) houjicha.

Apr 2nd, '08, 08:22

by augie » Apr 2nd, '08, 08:22

olivierco wrote:I drink less water.
But since I discovered Gyokuro, I have been drinking champagne a little less frequently
I realized a few days ago I wasn't drinking as much water either. Champagne, Olivierco, that's a shame . . . It's very good for you, or at least it makes you feel great.

The reason I asked this question is because I realized, 3 months ago, I was drinking almost no soda. And when I do get a coke at a restaurant I can't drink diet -- it's awful. I have to drink sugar coke. Even though, as time passes and I drink more tea, I put less raw sugar/splenda in my tea. I found that interesting.

I started drinking more tea when I was doing a very boring job checking medical bills and patient forms. I was drinking copious quantities of soda and coffee to stay awake because I was doing repetitive work and ithad to be thoroughly checked for accuracy. I was nearly asleep by 11:00 a.m. and I had 5 hours of work ahead of me. Coffee/pop kept me alert - for 30 minutes and then I was even more sleepy because of the sugar crash. My DH bought me a canister of RoT peoples daily green and I tried drinking that. That is when I became completely hooked! Tea doesn't give me that caffeine slap in the face awake, BUT it also doesn't supply the sugar/caffeine crash after just 30 minutes either.

My April Fool's Joke: We came home from a quick jaunt to the grocery store to find our basset hound had gotten into one of the kids' Easter candy stash! :shock: She had candy wrappers stuck to her belly, skittles stuck to her ears, lying on the floor. She'd scarfed, rolled over and couldn't get up.

Apr 2nd, '08, 09:11

by forkyfork » Apr 2nd, '08, 09:11

I started my whole healthy eating quest about a year ago. In my research, it didn't take long for me to hear about this "miracle drink" called tea. I thought I would give it a try. Also, I needed something to replace my soda intake with.

Thanks to tea I am now free of diabetes, cancer, and have never caught a cold since.

Just kidding.

With all the ragging that we do on tea's health properties, those crazy claims were what got me interested in the first place. But as I learned mor about it, I realized it wasn't about health claims.... it became sort of an experience.

Thanks, tea!

Apr 2nd, '08, 09:52

by CynTEAa » Apr 2nd, '08, 09:52

Augie, I hope your Bassett Hound didn't get any chocolate - yikes! Hope your poochie is ok!

Tea has always been there. My parents always had tea in the house and it was pretty much a regularly consumed beverage, so it didn't replace anything for me. My interest just sort of escalated as better quality teas became available and I realized all is better with tea! It's a life enhancing thing, isn't it?

It is very good to hear that the health benefits draw people to tea, but that they stay with it for the experience and the fabulous flavor! That is great!

My cup this morning was my usual, Yunnan Gold. But it is now empty. :(

Apr 2nd, '08, 10:06

by Victoria » Apr 2nd, '08, 10:06

I just like tea. I grew up with it. I went from tea bags, to loose leaf in bags, to loose leaf, then I landed here. Any health benefits are just a plus.

My morning brew is Russian Caravan. This is a very good blend, I prefer it over the English, Irish, Scottish and whatever other breakfast blends out there. Except my own blend, of course.

Have a lovely day all!

Apr 2nd, '08, 10:11

In the other Category

by hop_goblin » Apr 2nd, '08, 10:11

I am in the othe category,

I was working on a poltical campaign sometime ago. Our field director had called me into his office to chew over some new found information. He then asked me if I cared for some tea. I watched him methodically put loose leaves into two tea balls and poured boiling water in each cup. I never had tea made for me in this manner. Needless to say I was hooked from the first sip! In retrospect, I know now it was a mediocre Earl Grey!

The rest is history!

Apr 2nd, '08, 10:44

by fencerdenoctum » Apr 2nd, '08, 10:44

I discovered loose leaf tea by accident. I was studying in England for a while and tea was a lot cheaper than buying soda all the time and once I didn't look at the box of Twinings Earl Grey and I bought loose instead of bags. It was delicious and I've never looked back.

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum

Apr 2nd, '08, 11:17

by TimeforTea » Apr 2nd, '08, 11:17

I switched to tea when I was trying to break my coffee addiction. This is the first time I can confidently say I am never going back to coffee. Nothing against those who drink coffee, though. Some people can drink it without becoming addicted to it or having sensitivities to the caffeine, but I did not.

Although I began drinking tea for its health benefits, I am enjoying the experience of brewing and drinking tea. I never thought tea would become such a passion. I wish I discovered tea years ago!

This morning I had Casa-Blanca Twist in my cup. I should order more--I bet this would make a great iced tea.

Later, I look forward to trying a new tisane sample, Ginger Fresh. As always, I will finish the day with either vanilla rooibos or foxtrot.
Last edited by TimeforTea on Apr 2nd, '08, 11:42, edited 2 times in total.

Apr 2nd, '08, 11:33

by auggy » Apr 2nd, '08, 11:33

I chose "other". I actually started drinking tea because I was cold. Drinking water (my prior drink of choice) made me even colder so I was constantly freezing this winter. So I found some teabags stuffed in my pantry and started drinking those to warm me up. Then I got into better types of tea and then recently into loose leaf. Now that it is warming up, I'm still drinking hot tea - just not wearing as many sweaters. :D