Selecting a green tea

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 2nd, '08, 16:42

Selecting a green tea

by cfair_we » Apr 2nd, '08, 16:42

I'm looking to branch out into green teas more and was hoping for some suggestions.

I've tried a loose leaf sencha purchased from a coffee shop close to where I live, but it seems rather grassy to me at times. Since I'm unfamiliar with loose leaf greens, I was wondering if this was just the nature of greens or perhaps something wrong with my brewing technique (around 3 minutes steep time, water around 170 degrees).

Could anyone please suggest a few greens that wouldn't have as grassy a taste?

Thanks!

Apr 2nd, '08, 17:05

by trent » Apr 2nd, '08, 17:05

I usually brew sencha for 2 min at 175 degrees, following these instructions http://www.o-cha.com/brew.htm.

That same site has (in the opinion of many) the best green tea online.
http://www.o-cha.com/green-teas/sencha/
I would highly recommend the Fukamashi and Miyabi, but If you want to try a cheaper tea, the daily sencha's pretty good to.

I would highly discourage trying gyokuro until you are more experienced w/ brewing japanese greens. If brewed wrong, gyokuro tastes horrible.

Apr 2nd, '08, 19:26

by TaiPing Hou Kui » Apr 2nd, '08, 19:26

If you want greens that dont have a grassy taste you probably want to try some chinese greens. I would personally reccommend TaiPing Hou Kui and Dragonwell. They both have a slightly nutty flavor which is quite enjoyable. Japanese greens always tend to be a bit more "grassy" tasting. Hope this helps!

-Nick (TaiPing)

Apr 2nd, '08, 20:32

by devites » Apr 2nd, '08, 20:32

Dragonwell is a great noob tea, I have never met anyone who didn't like that tea immediately.

Apr 2nd, '08, 20:42
Location: the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

by Sydney » Apr 2nd, '08, 20:42

Adagio's White Monkey is worth a spin.
Dragonwell or Genmai from any reputable vendor.

Some vendors crank out some pretty good green tea samplers.

Apr 2nd, '08, 21:12

by Ed » Apr 2nd, '08, 21:12

I agree that Dragonwell is a perfect place to start. Do try a good sencha too - you might really enjoy it.

+ Post Reply