Iced Tea Recipes

Have something to add to an article? Don't keep it to yourself!

Iced Tea Recipes

Postby xine » Mar 31st, '08, 18:38

Please post your favorite iced tea recipes here:
xine

Postby xine » Apr 1st, '08, 13:01

I really enjoy making white blueberry over iced. I tasted the Teany White Blueberry ready to drink, and recreated it with Adagio's White Blueberry then sweetened it with a touch of simply syrup. I do want to incorporate more blueberries into the mixture, so I'm going to try it with frozen ones instead next time I make a pitcher.

I also absolutely love iced hibiscus herbal tea...I haven't tried this with our black hisbiscus flavored teas, but I think that might be the next thing to try.

I want to incorporate fresh sage with some sort of iced tea- any ideas?
xine

Postby CynTEAa » Apr 1st, '08, 13:14

I think sage would work with some kind of berry or maybe peach. Hmmm

When the winter weather makes me long for tropical climes....I like to make mango black tea iced, add a wedge of frozen mango and add a splash of coconut milk. MMM-- tastes like Key West!

:)
CynTEAa

Postby Pentox » Apr 3rd, '08, 19:29

I've become addicted to cold brewing sencha. It makes it so sweet and delicious.
Pentox

Postby CynTEAa » Apr 8th, '08, 09:16

Pentox, I've never tried cold brewing. Is it as straightforward as it sounds?
CynTEAa

Postby Pentox » Apr 9th, '08, 13:45

Yeah, it's actually amazingly simple. Instead of using hot water, just use cold water to steep your tea. You really only want to do this with good Gyokuro or Sencha teas though. I've tried to do it with black teas and they just won't steep until it warms up. The flavor you get is completely different than a regularly steeped sencha.
Pentox

Postby Pentox » Apr 9th, '08, 13:50

I find that if you are making iced tea via the hot steep then pour on ice method, it is useful to add extra leaf to the tea. This invariably makes a stronger brew, but when you dilute it with the ice you end up getting a tea of the concentration that you normally like. I have also seen it suggested that you steep for longer, but in my experience changing the steep time changes the flavor too much, so I prefer to go with the regular steeping time.

Another method of iced tea brewing that I have been experimenting with recently is iced brewing. From where I originally heard this from, this method is ONLY supposed to be used for brewing a gyokuro. You fill your brewing vessel with the normal amount of leaves (the suggested vessel was a kyusu) and then fill the vessel with ice cubes. Let it sit until just after all of the ice cubes have melted, and then pour out your tea and enjoy. An important note on that is you want to make sure you get every last drop out of the leaves since a lot of flavor is held in each drop when brewing with this method.
Pentox

Postby sneakers » Jun 17th, '09, 01:17

I make it very concentrated, and I like Kenilworth Estate Ceylon the best. I make it intentionally very strong with more leaf, add ice, cool it in the fridge. By making a concentrate, I have less to store in my small fridge and it cools faster. I can mix it with more ice and water to reconstitute it.

Another favorite is Lemon Drop from Silver Tips (silvertipstea.com) It's made with Nilgiri and lemongrass, not lemon. Most refreshing! I drink both copiously in hot weather.
sneakers

Instant Messenger

Permissions