Numbers written on puerh

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 6th, '08, 10:25

Numbers written on puerh

by chrl42 » Apr 6th, '08, 10:25

Myself hasn't been introduced to puerh that much although I hope to. Blame it on time and money.
But I was just wondering how many of you know the meaning of number or basic elements of puerh.

Let's take one of most classic and worth-buying great #7542.
In this case, 75 means it's made in 1975 style of manufacturing, 4th rated tea leaves(usually measured by its size of leaf) and number 2 factory, meaning the menghai factory.

Puerh is classified as 2.
Raw and cooked. It was all raw puerh until the cultural revolution, when new style of manufacturing was needed with little efforts and lots of profits, strictly communist philosophy. And that's how cooked puerh was born. Cooked puerh is produced to make new puerh look like old puerh, with humidity.

I think puerh requires not only time but also little knowledge about it. I was just wondering how many people actually interested in topics like this, or am I too late?

Apr 6th, '08, 11:33

by olivierco » Apr 6th, '08, 11:33

Never too late when providing informations.

Apr 11th, '08, 01:12

by Wesli » Apr 11th, '08, 01:12

Most enthusiasts understand the numbers. What I found interesting... "the cultural revolution, when new style of manufacturing was needed with little efforts and lots of profits," and yet now shu sells for less! Fancy that!

Apr 11th, '08, 09:11
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Apr 11th, '08, 09:11

I think we are all interested in learning more. Information about Pu'erh tea is a little scarce in the USA.

Apr 11th, '08, 15:27

by augie » Apr 11th, '08, 15:27

Salsero wrote:I think we are all interested in learning more. Information about Pu'erh tea is a little scarce in the USA.
Many of the internet stores' websites are disappointing. Pu Ehr Shop, which I love BTW, has more information about "weight loss & tea" than about Pu in general. I realize it's difficult being a business owner and keeping up your website, and that they words "tea and weight loss" will net you a wider google search participants than someone looking for info. I just don't have time to every website's tea blogs. :?

Den's website has good green tea info and sends you more with your order.

+ Post Reply