What is everyone buying?


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

What is everyone buying?

Postby Trioxin » Apr 8th, '08, 04:08

Kinda slow in the pu forum lately. I'm curious as to what everyones collection consists of? Whats your latest purchase? what do you have storing? What do you plan on purchasing?
User avatar
Trioxin
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Mar 4th, '0
Location: Peoria, IL

Postby Salsero » Apr 8th, '08, 11:49

Wow, that's a lot of questions! For the moment, I'll just observe that the primary change in my pu life in the past few months is to order a few cakes of sheng and shu from Puerhshop. To the good: They are in the US, ship quickly, and have a fair number of inexpensive selections. To the bad: There's no way to know what is good and what is mediocre or worse.

We should form a committee of guinea pigs: each one orders a randomly assigned, inexpensive pu and then the guinea pigs vote thumbs up or thumbs down on each one. Maybe even send samples to each other. The bunch of Pu Pigs.
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby Trioxin » Apr 9th, '08, 00:42

Salsero wrote:Wow, that's a lot of questions! For the moment, I'll just observe that the primary change in my pu life in the past few months is to order a few cakes of sheng and shu from Puerhshop. To the good: They are in the US, ship quickly, and have a fair number of inexpensive selections. To the bad: There's no way to know what is good and what is mediocre or worse.

We should form a committee of guinea pigs: each one orders a randomly assigned, inexpensive pu and then the guinea pigs vote thumbs up or thumbs down on each one. Maybe even send samples to each other. The bunch of Pu Pigs.


Not a bad Idea. There is just so many choices and so little reviews on pu.
User avatar
Trioxin
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Mar 4th, '0
Location: Peoria, IL

Postby GeoffK » Apr 9th, '08, 01:18

Salsero wrote:

We should form a committee of guinea pigs: each one orders a randomly assigned, inexpensive pu and then the guinea pigs vote thumbs up or thumbs down on each one. Maybe even send samples to each other. The bunch of Pu Pigs.


I'm totally down for that!
User avatar
GeoffK
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Feb 18th, '
Location: Portland OR

Postby Salsero » Apr 9th, '08, 01:40

THE PU METER SAYS:

    That's 7 definite committments.

Salsero
Geoffk
Wesli
trent.knebel
Trioxin
Dizzwave
andy825 (as proxy for her pu pig husband)

See below for guidelines to play.
Last edited by Salsero on Apr 9th, '08, 23:40, edited 7 times in total.
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby trent » Apr 9th, '08, 01:55

Count me in!
User avatar
trent
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Mar 6th, '0
Location: immersed in tea

Postby Wesli » Apr 9th, '08, 02:04

I love the pu-shop. I've actually reviewed a fair number of puerhshop's teas on my blawg.

http://thegreenteareview.blogspot.com/

Here's my latest order... On it's way to me now.
Image

A dated pic of my collection. I've added a few more beengs, tuocha, and drunk through the samples.
Image
User avatar
Wesli
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Jun 8th, '0
Location: 3161 A.D.

Postby tenuki » Apr 9th, '08, 02:48

I have purchased and cataloged around 30 pu samples in the last few months. I've spent time with my tea teachers learning how to do a proper tasting like the buyers do and what to look for in a pu, etc. I have read, drunk, studied and even dreampt about pu.

So far, the only thing I know for sure is - Pu sucks.
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Postby Trioxin » Apr 9th, '08, 03:44

I'm down with the pigs, yo
User avatar
Trioxin
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Mar 4th, '0
Location: Peoria, IL

yeah!

Postby Dizzwave » Apr 9th, '08, 11:41

Hecks yes, please count me in too!
User avatar
Dizzwave
 
Posts: 331
Joined: Feb 27th, '
Location: Portland, OR

Postby Salsero » Apr 9th, '08, 15:26

tenuki wrote:- Pu sucks.
I am impressed with the fortitude of your quest, O Seeker-After-Truth. But you might have created a crisis of expectation. After all, the damn stuff is just tea! It's like the postulate who climbed the highest summit to bask in the lone glory of his most revered teacher, only to find the old guy's got BO -- or worse, wears scent! Niche or whatever.

I am always enormously relieved if my puerh doesn't taste like cow manure. Once I'm over that hurdle, it just gets better*!








*Usually
User avatar
Salsero
 
Posts: 5214
Joined: Dec 21st, '
Location: Gainesville, Florida

Postby andy825 » Apr 9th, '08, 15:48

I volunteer my husband to be a pu pig by proxy! I'll order the samples and feed them to him, then report back his responses. I'll taste them, too, if you want, but he's the pu lover in our house.
User avatar
andy825
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Feb 26th, '
Location: California

Postby tenuki » Apr 9th, '08, 17:29

Salsero wrote:
tenuki wrote:- Pu sucks.
...you might have created a crisis of expectation...


You don't know me very well then. I expect everything to suck and am rarely disappointed. :D I'm not Eeyor exactly, just an old guy who's experienced a lot... ;)
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Postby augie » Apr 9th, '08, 18:45

Wesli wrote:
A dated pic of my collection. I've added a few more beengs, tuocha, and drunk through the samples.


WOW! :shock: That is some awesome tea porn! And that carpet, quite a turn-on itself . . . shag -- what were they thinking in the '70's?
User avatar
augie
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Apr 21st, '
Location: Indianapolis IN

Postby tenuki » Apr 9th, '08, 18:53

augie wrote:
Wesli wrote:
A dated pic of my collection. I've added a few more beengs, tuocha, and drunk through the samples.


WOW! :shock: That is some awesome tea porn! And that carpet, quite a turn-on itself . . . shag -- what were they thinking in the '70's?


Whatchyou talking bout? Wesli picked that carpet new last week.

Wesli says "Shag FTW".
User avatar
tenuki
 
Posts: 2339
Joined: Oct 23rd, '
Location: Seattle Area

Next

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation