wEdnEsdAy tEAdAy 4/09/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Music and TEA, are they perfect together for you?

Yes, I listen to music while drinking tea as much as possible
15%
Yes, I often listen to music and enjoy my tea
24%
Yes, I sometimes listen to music while sipping tea
27%
No, but it sounds like a great idea
7%
No, I do not listen to music while enjoying me tea
13%
Nope, I do not want music playing period...while I enjoy my quiet moments with tea
7%
Other
7%

Total votes: 55

Apr 9th, '08, 11:16

by olivierco » Apr 9th, '08, 11:16

Yunnan golden tips right now, listening to the radio (vocals works from GF Haendel)

Apr 9th, '08, 11:36

by Wesli » Apr 9th, '08, 11:36

I've always got the tunes playing.

I'm brewing up some MightyLeaf Darjeeling, and it smells wicked good.

Apr 9th, '08, 12:40

by Pentox » Apr 9th, '08, 12:40

olivierco wrote:I am listing to music quite all day and I don't turn it off for tea. Anyway there isn't any association for me between tea and music.

This morning keemun for breakfast (listening Megadeth: Live in Buenos Aires) and now houjicha for lunch (listening Ligeti: Musica Ricercata)

By the way I have just received
I only read some pages, but it seems to be a good not too pricy (20$) book with many informations, but not too specific on Tea ceremony.
That's a pretty interesting book. I read it a while ago, the details regarding the actual ceremony are in the back, the first few sections are general history and architecture.

So far this morning: More of my Yame gyokuro Vil. Hoshino Shincha

Apr 9th, '08, 12:47

by Sam. » Apr 9th, '08, 12:47

I generally drink tea in my apartment (unless I'm grabbing teabag tea at Tim Horton's on campus) and I have XM Radio playing on my laptop constantly while I'm here. It's usually something quiet and calming for background music (like classical) while I drink tea.

I haven't had tea yet today! I'm going to make some after I go to the gym this afternoon.

Apr 9th, '08, 13:03

by tenuki » Apr 9th, '08, 13:03

The two are totally disconnected in my mind. I listen to or play music when I'm in the mood for music. I drink tea constantly. :D
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Apr 9th, '08, 13:06

by mthed » Apr 9th, '08, 13:06

i'm sipping a first infusion snowbud. i learned a little about the transformation tea makes during the steeping process. i used water at approximately 155 (lowest i've ever used). i was impressed that it still worked so well. at around 2 minutes i started sipping, but left the bag in. it was a little weak, but starting to get there. a couple of minutes later i was still steeping and it hit a perfect spot. snowbud is a wonderful tea. but i left the bag in a couple of more minutes. it's a bit bitter at this point, but still nice. so i've gained a little understanding which i'm sure will help me create a more consistent result. time for a second (which is usually my favorite infusion...) ;-)

Apr 9th, '08, 13:08

by insanitylater » Apr 9th, '08, 13:08

most of my tea drinking is done in my room so i have music playing. from time to time i do enjoy a nice quiet cup when i wake up early and everyone in the house is still asleep

ran late today so i didn't have any hot tea but in class i was sipping one of these
so yummy and i might have to get it in loose form soon

later today i will be trying pu-erh for the first time. i picked up one of the rishi
pu-erh maiden tins last night. i think i'll start off following the instructions on the tin and maybe do a quick 5 second rinse. i'll have to try it without one too to see if it makes a difference

Apr 9th, '08, 14:04

by witches brew » Apr 9th, '08, 14:04

Afternoon tea and the Metropolitan Opera radio broadcast. That was a weekly tradition when I was a student at college. Opera still makes me want to drink tea, but tea doesn't lead me to put on opera anymore.

Now, it's more likely to be a tisane and the rustle of the wind in the trees, or perhaps a chillout mix played very softly.

Apr 9th, '08, 14:28

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 9th, '08, 14:28

It all depends on what is going on when I am drinking tea. If I am the only one in the room, it is generally quiet. If my boyfriend is in the room, there is a better chance than not that he has music going. For me, his music is more of ambiance than music to go with tea. When I do put on music to enjoy with tea, I love instrumental jazz. Most of the time, I enjoy quiet.

This morning, I finished off my sample tin of Russian Caravan. I had just a tad more left than the 1 tsp that I have been using, but I found that adding the little more leaf gave it a nice, stronger flavor. Currently, I am working on my travel mug of Kyoto Cherry Rose Sencha. It is starting to get warmer out, so the plan for the afternoon is to experiment with what teas in my drawer taste good cold.

Apr 9th, '08, 14:30

by scotty X » Apr 9th, '08, 14:30

anytime i'm drinking around the house, i've got the tunes on, usually ambient grooves. if i'm drinking and driving :shock: , i like more up-tempo, hypnotic stuff. generally, i just want whatever music is going to reflect and complement the effect of the tea - meaningfully stimulating in a relaxing way. i feel like jazz and tea would be sweet together, but i haven't really gone down that road.

right now, talking heads sans tea, though i did start the day by finishing that old Sikkim and having my standard tuo cha.

as for the tea ceemony, i like the deconstructionism inherent in tanaka's exposition of the history of the ceremony. although you don't really get definitive answers, you get some idea of how different people thought about, experienced, and expressed themselves through tea, which i think is an enlightening exercise.

Apr 9th, '08, 14:52

by olivierco » Apr 9th, '08, 14:52

Pentox wrote:
olivierco wrote:I am listing to music quite all day and I don't turn it off for tea. Anyway there isn't any association for me between tea and music.

This morning keemun for breakfast (listening Megadeth: Live in Buenos Aires) and now houjicha for lunch (listening Ligeti: Musica Ricercata)

By the way I have just received
I only read some pages, but it seems to be a good not too pricy (20$) book with many informations, but not too specific on Tea ceremony.
That's a pretty interesting book. I read it a while ago, the details regarding the actual ceremony are in the back, the first few sections are general history and architecture.

So far this morning: More of my Yame gyokuro Vil. Hoshino Shincha
I found some time during the day to read it more thoroughly and it is indeed very interesting. In fact it contains all informations on tea ceremony.
For more, a real tea ceremony teacher is needed.
The only weak point of this book is that only 30 of the 330 photographs are in color (which explains why the book costs only 20$).

This afternoon Uji Gyokuro "Yume no Ukihashi" (listening X Japan Live Live Live).
Now some Darjeeling Puttabong S.F.T.G.F.O.P.1 from 2007 harvest. No quality 2008 harvest in my usual tea stores for the time being.

Apr 9th, '08, 16:09
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 9th, '08, 16:09

olivierco wrote:This afternoon Uji Gyokuro "Yume no Ukihashi" (listening X Japan Live Live Live).
Live Japanese music??? I have Pandora which is ok, but what do you have?

I go through phases where I need music...or really want music with tea. And then stretches with no music, like right now. I certainly do not like loud music with tea. Soothing, relaxing, or something to help me focus. I enjoy natural sounds even if it is on a CD. Classical can be great. I have times where Enya is just perfect with tea.

Part of my hesitation to play music, I have enough of a problem selecting a tea, I do not want the added stress of selecting music as well. I need a TeaMusic DJ :idea:

Only Fukamushi Superior so far...I am about to remedy this situation. I think I only have one more session of this Fuka. :(
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 9th, '08, 16:22

by olivierco » Apr 9th, '08, 16:22

Live Live Live is the name of the CD

Some information about X Japan

Apr 9th, '08, 16:52

by mmsq3 » Apr 9th, '08, 16:52

Most everything I do I have music set in the background for a nice ambiance. Though, when I have my tea, I like to slow down and put some more calming tunes on and relax.

But I'll have my tea in silence if it's a particularly busy day, or I have company to talk to.

Apr 9th, '08, 17:38

by Pentox » Apr 9th, '08, 17:38

olivierco wrote: Now some Darjeeling Puttabong S.F.T.G.F.O.P.1 from 2007 harvest. No quality 2008 harvest in my usual tea stores for the time being.
Ooooo I haven't tried anything that's of SFTGFOP1 grade yet. I bet it makes a delightful cup of darjeeling though.