Indonesian tea?

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Apr 5th, '08, 02:59

Indonesian tea?

by omegapd » Apr 5th, '08, 02:59

Being one that always likes to try different things, I've seen that some on-line vendors started offering Indonesian tea recently. Most are black teas (I think I read that 80%+ of their tea crop is turned into black) but at least one is selling a green tea. Has anyone tried Indonesian tea yet? It's an ingredient in my favorite bagged tea, Red Rose, and I'm curious as to trying it by itself...

Thanks,

EW

Apr 6th, '08, 20:04

by omegapd » Apr 6th, '08, 20:04

No replies, so I guess I'll be the guinea pig. :wink: Just placed an order for some Java OP and some Kenya GFBOP1 Milima Estate. This should curb the "I want to try something unique" urge for awhile... :D

EW

Apr 6th, '08, 23:01
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Apr 6th, '08, 23:01

I had some SpecialTeas Java OP #360 which I don't remember very well and my notes are a little spotty. You may have a pleasant surprise. I know that I thought it would make a nice iced tea and I think I even iced it a couple times for my son, but I myself don't drink iced tea. I seem to remember that it was clean and refreshing but a little too light for my tastes at the time, much like some of the medium Ceylons. My notes also mention in passing sensations of earth, fruits, cocoa, berries, and even a mention of pepper. It didn't have a lot of body (viscosity) and if you brewed it wrong you could get some astringency, roughness, or even (what I call) a metallic feel/taste in the mouth.

After reviewing my memory and my notes, I would definitely give a quality Indonesian another try, and probably will someday ... if I can ever dig my way out from under all this oolong and green tea!

Keep us posted.

Apr 6th, '08, 23:11

by Victoria » Apr 6th, '08, 23:11

Well it sounds really nice -

Java OP
"Full-bodied, copper-red liquor that is low in tannins with an elegant spicy aroma"

The Kenya does too.

Good luck!
:o)

Apr 6th, '08, 23:21

by Chip » Apr 6th, '08, 23:21

...a little late..e

I had it maybe 3 years ago...ummm, still do if that tells you anything.

It is a decent blender and I have used it in iced tea blends.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 7th, '08, 09:23

by omegapd » Apr 7th, '08, 09:23

Chip wrote:...a little late..e

I had it maybe 3 years ago...ummm, still do if that tells you anything.
LOL. Chip, from reading your posts here, I'll assume you have a LOT of black teas still left over. :wink:

Thanks for the replies, all. Yep, this was a Special Teas order...

EW

Apr 7th, '08, 15:25

by Chip » Apr 7th, '08, 15:25

omegapd wrote:LOL. Chip, from reading your posts here, I'll assume you have a LOT of black teas still left over. :wink:
That is very perceptive of you you...you should consider a detective position with your local PD :!: :wink:

I had a lot, but have gotten it down to a little, but the Java still sits. I keep saying I will blend it. If it was not old, I would offer it to whoever. Blacks hold up extremely well when taken care of...which I do. But not sure if Java is one of those that hold up.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 7th, '08, 16:17

by Victoria » Apr 7th, '08, 16:17

I'd be willing to do a FREE side-by-side comparison if you all want to send me your tea.

LOL

Apr 10th, '08, 00:57

by scotty X » Apr 10th, '08, 00:57

i've had the Kenya Milima before, and i actually quite liked it, both as a blender for iced teas, and on its own as a morning tea or an "i really need some tea right now" tea. but if my memory serves me correctly, i don't think it has the depth to be a tea to really get into. for what it's worth, i find it to be a good tea to have around. keep us posted on the java!

Apr 10th, '08, 02:32

by omegapd » Apr 10th, '08, 02:32

will do. it should be here tomorrow (or today actually). :wink:

Apr 10th, '08, 13:52

Okay, now a quick review

by omegapd » Apr 10th, '08, 13:52

Been sampling the Java OP today and trying it in different pots and strainers. The dry leaf is a mix of brown and some grey. Most leaves have tips on them and the smell of the leaves is quite nice with an apricot aroma.

I followed Special Teas brewing suggestions at 2- 2.5 minutes and found it extremely weak so upped it to 4 minutes of steeping (my normal time for all blacks). This steep, in a small Lotus Yixing I have dedicated for unflavored black teas, turned out really well. The aroma of the brewed tea does have a hint of spice/pepper like the description says, but the flavor is somewhat lacking. It is your typical Orange Pekoe tea, just better quality than what you can get in bags at your local grocery store. The Yixing pot imparted a slight earthy flavor that I didn't get in the glass pot and I enjoyed it more.

It was not expensive at all, so I don't have any regrets. It makes a nice, mild cup and will probably make a very good iced tea.

Apr 10th, '08, 13:54

by Salsero » Apr 10th, '08, 13:54

Thanks for following up with the helpful mini review!

Apr 10th, '08, 13:55

by Victoria » Apr 10th, '08, 13:55

I hate to say it but nothing from SpecialtyTeas has impressed me yet.
They have some nice teaware though!!

Apr 11th, '08, 14:44

by omegapd » Apr 11th, '08, 14:44

scotty X wrote:i've had the Kenya Milima before, and i actually quite liked it, both as a blender for iced teas, and on its own as a morning tea or an "i really need some tea right now" tea. but if my memory serves me correctly, i don't think it has the depth to be a tea to really get into. for what it's worth, i find it to be a good tea to have around.
Scotty and all,

Just finishing up my first pot of the Kenya tea. I was very surprised with it. I was half expecting a fairly strong blend but it's on par with your typical Ceylon, etc. It's very tasty, sweet and extremely smooth. There is not a hint of bitterness in this tea. After trying it, I can see how much Kenyan tea is used in so called English Breakfast blends now a days. I'll bet it's over half the blend, especially in the cheaper bagged blends. Good stuff in loose form, though, and I'm glad I tried it.

So, in all, I was pretty happy with my Special Teas order. :)

Apr 11th, '08, 14:55

by Victoria » Apr 11th, '08, 14:55

Well they can't all be bad. I guess they do ok with blacks, as someone else mentioned also. Their oolongs though - Oy.

+ Post Reply