Question about Adagio

We're always open to a little constructive criticism.

Nov 6th, '05, 08:59

Question about Adagio

by floridahawk » Nov 6th, '05, 08:59

Just out of curiosity, is Adagio a small family run type of corporation? Get the feeling that it is. I have to admit; I am some what put off by large multi-national conglomerates. I try to support the small businessperson whenever I can. I went to Tevanna the other day to purchase some accessories; I didn’t care for their tea, or for the screaming corporate Starbucks atmosphere. That is one reason that I really like my local teahouse. It is run by two very nice Vietnamese immigrant ladies who always remember my name, my dislikes and likes, and they don’t get affronted when I tell them that I have bought tea at other places or I didn’t like a particular tea. They use the Adagio ingenuiTEA and sell some Adagio tea ware for about what it would cost online but not Adagio tea. I do not know where they get their tea from, but some of it is very different from what Adagio sells. I think it is nice that I have more than one option and various places to be able to purchase tea. (I sure hope my teahouse is successful, they are new and the restaurant business is tough, tough, tough to get off the ground).

One of the things I like about this site is that there are people that work at Adagio (Chris & Ilya) who respond to posts and give this site a personal touch. They don’t seem to get affronted that I also buy tea from other places. It is almost like having a teahouse online, but of course, you can’t physically go into it. I get the feeling that it is a homey type of place to work at run by a small group of people and not a large, multi-national conglomerate. Which of course, makes me feel better about spending my dollars here. I have only placed one order so far, got the green sampler and the holiday sampler. I have not tried them all yet, but I have liked all that I have tried so far. I think that this site is really great! I love the teachat and I love the teamap! Please tell me that this is a small business not run by a large multi-national.

Nov 6th, '05, 11:45

by klemptor » Nov 6th, '05, 11:45

Small, family-run business :)
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Nov 6th, '05, 12:31

by chris » Nov 6th, '05, 12:31

It is indeed a small, family-run business. We've been working at it for over 6 years now and, while we have grown exponentially, we still follow the small-business philosophies of personal service and quality product.

We're always open to discussing all things tea (not just our tea!)... that's what we created this forum!

All the best,

Chris
Adagio Maestro

Nov 6th, '05, 13:28

by floridahawk » Nov 6th, '05, 13:28

I am so glad, I am so glad, I am so glad!!!!! YEA, YEA, YEA Adagio is not a big multi-national conglomerate!!!

Like I said I like supporting small businesses!!!! Makes me feel even better about spending my money with Adagio!!!! :D !

Thanks for the reply Chris

Support your small and local businesses!!!!

Nov 6th, '05, 16:32

by teamuse » Nov 6th, '05, 16:32

floridahawk,
thank you so much for asking this question!!! i had wondered this myself, but never asked. i too have had a poor experiences with teavanna, glad to know I am not the only one who bawked to thier feel. as someone who just recently worked for starbucks...let's just say i am a true supporter of family run perveyors of coffee and especially tea even more so than before. And yes you do get in trouble for saying someone else's tea is better than Tazo. i've not found a local teahouse in town that i adore...but i much prefer to sit down with my pot of tea at home with a lovely book anyway.

I got turned onto Adagio through another online community called Ars Technica. the site itself if tech oriented, but many of the active posters are teamaniacs and staunch Adagio fans. Any tea thread is usually filled with offers of gift certificates and reasons why Adagio tea is simply the best. I am not sure if Chris and Ilya are aware of the following that's on that site...just fyi guys. (unfortunately...the forum blew up during updates last night...so hopefully they'll be back up soon).

Nov 7th, '05, 11:16

Re: Question about Adagio

by jogrebe » Nov 7th, '05, 11:16

floridahawk wrote: One of the things I like about this site is that there are people that work at Adagio (Chris & Ilya) who respond to posts and give this site a personal touch. They don’t seem to get affronted that I also buy tea from other places.
Makes sense and sounds reasonable as no one company can stock every tea that everybody would want but Adagio can and does stock a reasonably wide selection of high quality teas that is enough for the typical tea drinker but people will always want to experiment to see how certain Adagio teas compare with others such as my earlier question about how traditional cake Pu Erh compares to Adagio's Pu Erh Dante. At the same time I, while I have never seen Chris and Ilya directly refer someone to another tea company for teas that Adagio does not stock, they have no problem standing aside as we point things out to each other; which is understandable considering that they are after all employed by Adagio. Regardless they seem confident enough in the quality of Adagio teas not to feel threatened by people directly comparing their teas to those of other tea companies. Finally I think Chris and Ilya as well as Adagio as a whole deserves some thanks for their openness and willingness in creating a truly open tea chat community.

Nov 7th, '05, 11:30

by klemptor » Nov 7th, '05, 11:30

We ♥ Chris & Ilya!
I came in from the wilderness, a creature void of form.

Nov 7th, '05, 14:22

by Marlene » Nov 7th, '05, 14:22

Indeed. I have very much enjoyed Chris and Ilya's input and their openness about us suggesting other companys too. I buy a lot from other companys, but I always come back to Adagio to stock my tea cupboard.
Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cozy, dosn't try it on.
-Billy Connolly

Nov 7th, '05, 14:25

Adagio

by Teatime » Nov 7th, '05, 14:25

I have purchased teas from other companies in the past also. But I also think that the philosophy behind Adagio Teas is most welcome!

Teatime

+ Post Reply