Thursday TeaDay 4/10/08 TeaBooked?

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

I wondered how many tea related books do you own?

None
25%
Less than 5
53%
Less than 10
16%
Less than 15
3%
Less than 20
No votes
20 or more
3%

Total votes: 64

Apr 10th, '08, 04:25
Scrolling: scrolling

Thursday TeaDay 4/10/08 TeaBooked?

by Chip » Apr 10th, '08, 04:25

Yesterday, the majority of responders said they enjoy music with their tea. You can still vote and reply to yesterday's topic and poll.

Welcome everyone to TeaDay, if you are new to tea or TeaChat, a special welcome to you. You are all requested to share what is in your cup today...all day. If you must reflect back on your TeaDay, please do. Make sure to see what everyone one else is sipping as well.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is all about tea books, seems very fitting since we started a new continuous thread/topic that is for all your tea book posts TeaBooks Topic Witches Brew also wondered how many tea books of varying types you have. Nonfiction all about tea, fiction in which tea figures a major role in the book. So, let's talk tea books.

I always look forward to seeing everyone on TeaDay. I hope you have many cups of great tea today.

Apr 10th, '08, 04:36

by omegapd » Apr 10th, '08, 04:36

I have 2. The little book from Adagio and another called The Book of Coffee and Tea by the Shapira family. Shapira's book is pretty outdated now but still a good read.

Fiction? I have the complete set of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. Tea plays a pretty good part in many of the stories...

EW

Apr 10th, '08, 05:01

by Trey Winston » Apr 10th, '08, 05:01

I'm slightly surprised to realize that I don't own a single one. All the Tea in China is on my wishlist, but for some reason I haven't gotten around to order it. Anyone have recommendations?

Apr 10th, '08, 05:26

by chamekke » Apr 10th, '08, 05:26

Currently drinking: dragon tears (green dragon ball tea with a touch of jasmine).

As for books on tea {blush} I have about 60 or so. Most of them are to do with Japanese tea ceremony, one is Chinese (gong fu), and the remaining handful are more generic: tea history, preparation, recipes, equipment, etc.

I also included Father Ted: The Complete Scripts in my list of "tea books", since Mrs. Doyle is the patron saint of tea after all.

Incidentally, that would be an example of tea-related humour, I suppose. See also A Nice Cup of Tea and a Sit Down: A book about having a sit down, a biscuit and a nice cup of tea. It is, as the title suggests, a very funny take on how to enjoy tea, British style. Note that a very big chunk of the book is actually devoted to analysing and reviewing that essential tea accompaniment, the biscuit (cookie). The author's Venn diagram of the biscuit world is worth the price of purchase alone. There's a related website, too; search on the book name and you'll find it.

As for tea-related fiction, I thought The Teahouse Fire was very good.

Apr 10th, '08, 06:45

by olivierco » Apr 10th, '08, 06:45

I have currently four books on tea.

Le guide du théophile a short guide from the shop "le palais des thés"

New tastes in green tea a 128 p guide on japanese green tea.

The tea ceremony which I received and wrote about yesterday in teaday.

The book of tea by Kakuzo Okakura

I ordered last week two more books

Liquid Jade: The Story of Tea from East to Westby Beatrice Hohenegger
and
Tea Ceremony(Asian Arts & Crafts for Creative Kids Series)

This morning Keemun, now houjicha karigane with my lunch.

Apr 10th, '08, 08:31

by Scarlet Glow » Apr 10th, '08, 08:31

I have 7 books... and would like more.

Three of them I am using for my presentation on the way tea influences the culture of India (it's for my folklore class). Good times.

Ceylon Sonata will be in my cup in a few minutes. :wink:

Apr 10th, '08, 08:53

by Beanbean » Apr 10th, '08, 08:53

I own more that 1800 books (my son has about 500 more) but only six of them are directly related to tea. In some of the mysteries, tea is offered and served quite a bit but I don't think that's what you mean. :)

Right now I am having my second sampling of Golden Monkey but this time I used enough tea leaves so I'm enjoying it much more than my first sampling. Quite lovely.

Apr 10th, '08, 09:10

by TimeforTea » Apr 10th, '08, 09:10

Ah, books! I love to read. With my new tea passion comes a new collection of tea books:

1) A Guide to Tea (Adagio's)
2) The Tea Companion, by Jane Pettigrew
3) Tea Basics, by Rasmussen and Rhinehart
4) The Book of Green Tea, by Rosen
5) The Tea Box, by Gilles Brochard (gift from a friend humoring my tea obsession)
6) The Teahouse Fire, by Avery (fiction)
7) This one just coincidentally has "tea" in the title: "Three Cups of Tea", by Mortenson and Relin

On its way from amazon.com, an early birthday gift:
1) The Story of Tea: A Cultural History and Drinking Guide, by Heiss
2) New Tastes in Green Tea: A Novel Flavor for Familiar Drinks, Dishes, and Desserts
These two books were recommended by teachatters!

On my list to get:
The Book of Tea (revised), by Kakuzo Okakura

In my cup this morning was white peach. I brewed it longer than usual, and I used more tea leaves. For my second infusion, I'll use less leaves and less brew time, as I enjoy my white teas tasting light and delicate.

On the radio this morning: classical music (another new-found interest).

Apr 10th, '08, 09:58

by Victoria » Apr 10th, '08, 09:58

None for me, don't think Adagio's really counts as a book does it? As a comparison I only own one perfume book. When it comes to books, I can't seem to make it past the "A"s - my shelves overflow with art books.

This mornings brew: SpecialTeas Yunan Gold Competition Grade. You know, I'm just not impressed. Adagio's is just fine. Actually, better.

Have a nice day everyone!

Apr 10th, '08, 10:18

by witches brew » Apr 10th, '08, 10:18

Tea-on-the-run today. It's peppermint with a pinch of Silver Needle.

When I get home I will add the titles, but my woefully small tea library consists of

2 books on Afteroon Tea

2 books on chanoyu, one of which I bought for the pictures because the text is in Japanese.

2 herbal magic reference books, which I consider part of my tea library because I prefer to work magic with edible ingredients whenever possible, and drinking enchanted tea is a wonderfully symbolic way of taking in the energy.

Tea fiction: The Elegant Gathering of White Snows by Kris Radish. There is a short chapter in the book where one character's life is forever changed by a visit to a teashop where she drinks this tea.

Between this poll and the new thread about tea books, I expect my library will grow. I am excited to see what everyone is reading.

Apr 10th, '08, 10:31

by Victoria » Apr 10th, '08, 10:31

witches brew wrote:Tea fiction: The Elegant Gathering of White Snows by Kris Radish. There is a short chapter in the book where one character's life is forever changed by a visit to a teashop where she drinks this tea.
By the way Chado Tea Room in LA sells a tea with this name. I bought it, but I have to say although the name and the idea of it is romantic, the tea itself is just meh.

Apr 10th, '08, 10:32

by Ron Gilmour » Apr 10th, '08, 10:32

I have no tea books. As a librarian, I tend to borrow rather than buy. I do read a lot of Victorian fiction in which people drink tea.

This morning I'm enjoying an organic Assam with a bit of milk.

Scarlet, if you have slides or notes to go with your "tea and Indian culture" presentation, I'd love to see them.

Apr 10th, '08, 10:41

by TimeforTea » Apr 10th, '08, 10:41

Ron Gilmour wrote:I have no tea books. As a librarian, I tend to borrow rather than buy.
Ron, I see by your www page posted you are in NY. Your name looked familiar to me. Have you ever worked at POB Public Library?

Apr 10th, '08, 10:44

by chamekke » Apr 10th, '08, 10:44

witches brew wrote:When I get home I will add the titles, but my woefully small tea library consists of

2 books on Afteroon Tea

2 books on chanoyu, one of which I bought for the pictures because the text is in Japanese.
Ooh! Please do share the titles with us - including the one in Japanese. (Of course, the title being in Japanese may pose a challenge) Or just the ISBN, if the title can't be read.

I also have books about chanoyu in Japanese that I bought "for the pictures". It'd be fun to know if we happen to share this one :)

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 10th, '08, 11:40

by olivierco » Apr 10th, '08, 11:40

Teasweetie wrote: On its way from amazon.com, an early birthday gift:

2) New Tastes in Green Tea: A Novel Flavor for Familiar Drinks, Dishes, and Desserts
These two books were recommended by teachatters!
I hope you will find it interesting.

Now some jasmine pearls in my cup.