Apr 11th, '08, 18:44

by chamekke » Apr 11th, '08, 18:44

brianlavelle wrote:Beautiful scans, chamekke. I particularly like the second, slightly angular-looking Miwa Kyuusetsu chawan: an extraordinary piece.

Thanks for posting these - more if you can manage too!
Glad you're enjoying them! I'll scan and share some more tonight. (Inceed I can post the entire book, given enough time :wink: )

Tell me, I've been assuming that people on this forum will be primarily interested in teabowls - is that a correct assumption? There are probably more teabowls than anything else, so it's no problem to share them. But there are some other lovely items too, including a mizusashi (cold-water container) that is absolutely stunning... {sigh of longing}

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 11th, '08, 19:56

by andy825 » Apr 11th, '08, 19:56

I would be delighted to see whatever you want to share! The last one you posted is really lovely.

Apr 11th, '08, 23:36

by chamekke » Apr 11th, '08, 23:36

OK then! It does take time to scan, resize and clean them up - that's why I'm not posting a ton of them at once. But I will try and get a couple more done tonight.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 12th, '08, 00:36

by chamekke » Apr 12th, '08, 00:36

Here's another piece by SAKATA Deika, who created the chawan in the previous picture. This is a mizusashi (cold-water container for tea ceremony):

Next, a very differently coloured hagiyaki mizusashi by TAHARA Toubei:

And a chawan by the same gentleman:

Apr 12th, '08, 01:59

by olivierco » Apr 12th, '08, 01:59

chamekke wrote:OK then! It does take time to scan, resize and clean them up - that's why I'm not posting a ton of them at once. But I will try and get a couple more done tonight.
It is better not to have all the pictures at once.

Thanks for this very interesting topic!

Apr 12th, '08, 23:46

by chamekke » Apr 12th, '08, 23:46

More wares from my hagiyaki catalogue of 1990...

Here's a mizusashi (cold-water container) from HATANO Zensou (波多野 善蔵). I'm not 100% sure, but I think this style is called mentori or "faceted".

The lids of the previous two mizusashi I posted were kae-buta, which is to say, each had a lid made of black lacquered wood that was created specifically to fit the mizusashi. However, Hatano's mizusashi has a tomo-buta - namely, a lid made of the same ceramic material as the mizusashi itself. Of the two, tomo-buta has the higher rank.

Next is a chawan by Hatano san. Like so many other hagi chawan-s, this is in the Ido style. The Ido chawan is modelled on the shape of the rice bowls used by Korean peasants of olden times. Very wabi!

May 3rd, '08, 11:25

by brianlavelle » May 3rd, '08, 11:25

I just got these two Shibuya Deishi Oni Hagi teacups from Magorokodo. I love how organic and fragile they look.

May 3rd, '08, 12:57

by olivierco » May 3rd, '08, 12:57

Very nice, what size are they?

May 3rd, '08, 13:06

by brianlavelle » May 3rd, '08, 13:06

olivierco wrote:Very nice, what size are they?
Thanks olivierco. They're about 3 inches in diameter and I'd say hold around 4 to 5 ounces, so too small for making matcha, but I knew that before I got hold of them.

+ Post Reply