Munday TeaDay 4/14/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you maintain some form of written inventory of your TEA?

Yes I do
27%
No I do not
73%

Total votes: 59

Apr 14th, '08, 10:32

by Sam. » Apr 14th, '08, 10:32

No inventory for me, though it might be a good idea to keep a simple spreadsheet once I start buying more tea so that I know when I purchased a tea and what vendor it came from.

Citron green right now.

Apr 14th, '08, 10:51

by daughteroftheKing » Apr 14th, '08, 10:51

Oh my, I should BE so organized! About as far as I get is to start a list on a sticky note on the computer monitor (my monitor frame is covered with notes like this :lol: ) marking what's running low and needs to be re-ordered or what I want to try.
The only other tea-organization I have managed is that after a trip, I refill the particular little sample tins for the next trip so that they're ready to pack&go - otherwise I'm up late the night before just trying to decide what teas I want pack :oops: !

Ooooh Darjeeling to wake up this morning, but now on to some Monk's Blend.
"Top off the tea... it lubricates the grey matter."
(Jerry Ledbetter, "Good Neighbors")

Apr 14th, '08, 10:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Apr 14th, '08, 10:57

Teasweetie wrote: an inventory table I created on word. In hindsight, I should have added columns for brewing parameters, as I am still learning. My tea inventory table can be summed up in 3 words: too-much-tea!
Whoppee, Olivierco and I are not the only pathological cases here! Do start parameters NOW, it won't be any easier a year from now. I go back to use mine all the time.

T-S, you don't have enough unless you have too much!

Apr 14th, '08, 11:16

by Katrina » Apr 14th, '08, 11:16

I find myself in the category of the obsessive catalogers.

My inventory is just a text document (although I wonder know if I should have used a spreadsheet or an Access-type format for sorting) divided by tea type. For each tea I list the tea's name, the company, origin, any description the company provided (or my description after I've tried it), and brewing instructions. Of course, as soon as I print a copy it ends up scribbled with new notes - like new brewing parameters, etc. I'm starting to note whether something works best iced, hot, or both.

The parameter I forgot is purchase date...It would definitely help me avoid those long lost tins that get hidden in the back.

I don't generally keep track of things I've tried in the past and no longer have unless it was something I really didn't like and don't want to order again by mistake.

Today I had to resort to a tea bag so I went with Tea Forte's Orchid Vanilla. I'm hoping later to brew up some 1886 Blend (Whittard.)

Apr 14th, '08, 11:17

by chamekke » Apr 14th, '08, 11:17

No tea inventory at present, although as I begin to branch out, it sounds like a good idea. Among other things it would be a good way to track the purchases that are "not getting any younger" so that I can drink them before they become thoroughly stale!

If anyone has an inventory system (or better yet, an Excel or Word template), I would love to see it.

And Teasweetie's idea of a column for brewing parameters is GREAT.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 14th, '08, 11:18

by fencerdenoctum » Apr 14th, '08, 11:18

I don't catalog my teas mostly due to it being such a small collection. However, with my recent run of receiving samples and incoming orders I think I'll have to start!

Adagio Ti Kuan Yin this morning. Had to give my new tea tray and faircup a whirl.

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum

Apr 14th, '08, 11:59

by Wesli » Apr 14th, '08, 11:59

Waking up, aracha in the cup, just waiting for it to cool off a bit.

Currently, I have my blog as a sort of catalog for my teas. The blog keeps names, pictures, and tasting notes (all for pu-erh, of course). When I heard of someone writing in marker on their beengs, I was, at first, take aback. Then, figuring the idea behind the action was a good one, I starting scribbling notes on pieces of paper to save with my cakes. I write things that aren't obvious from the wrapper, such as where the leaf comes from, the factory that made it.

I do hope to copy Salsero and create a spreadsheet.

Apr 14th, '08, 12:27

by Salsero » Apr 14th, '08, 12:27

Wesli wrote:I do hope to copy Salsero and create a spreadsheet.
That is so sick! :roll:

Apr 14th, '08, 12:39

by omegapd » Apr 14th, '08, 12:39

Cinnamon Kitty wrote: Today is more White Tip Oolong!
Hey, how about that. Me too! I'm a newbie to the world of Oolongs and looks can definitely be deceiving. I didn't care much for the dry leaf aroma, or the look of the leaf and the cup brewed up a light gold and made me think of an under-extracted black tea. First sip, though, was a flavor explosion! Brisk, a little bitter, and peaches/fruit galore. The fruit taste seemed to come out more as the cup cooled. Really a complex and interesting tea.

EW

Apr 14th, '08, 12:41

by DangerInRed » Apr 14th, '08, 12:41

I don't keep a written inventory, but it's a really good idea! I want to now.

Apr 14th, '08, 14:26

by Victoria » Apr 14th, '08, 14:26

No I don't have have inventory contol, but I should because I'm out of control.
I find it very interesting though, that some people have partial inventory of mine.
:D

Well after a terrible start to tea day yesterday with only one tea, which wasn't very good, I then proceeded to oversteep and ruin a premium brew, and then not have any!! Oy! My second worst tea day this year.

Today is not starting much better. I had a little left over darjeeling and I added Yunnan Gold and the result was ... meh.

I NEED good tea!!!

Apr 14th, '08, 14:39

by Jack_teachat » Apr 14th, '08, 14:39

No tea inventory for me, I tend to just buy a couple at a time to drink and then order some more. I suppose I should make a list so I remember which ones I've already tried!

In my pot right now is Gyokuro Kame-Giru-Shi, my first tea in two days!! :shock:

Apr 14th, '08, 15:01

by CynTEAa » Apr 14th, '08, 15:01

Victoria needs good tea STAT. Your week will likely tailspin! What did you do to that Yunnan Gold? :wink:

Had a couple mate samples and moved on to 'Champagne Oolong' trying to right myself from the woes of 'seasonal allergies.' Help!

Apr 14th, '08, 15:07

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 14th, '08, 15:07

omegapd wrote:
Cinnamon Kitty wrote: Today is more White Tip Oolong!
Hey, how about that. Me too! I'm a newbie to the world of Oolongs and looks can definitely be deceiving. I didn't care much for the dry leaf aroma, or the look of the leaf and the cup brewed up a light gold and made me think of an under-extracted black tea. First sip, though, was a flavor explosion! Brisk, a little bitter, and peaches/fruit galore. The fruit taste seemed to come out more as the cup cooled. Really a complex and interesting tea.

EW
It was the first oolong that I liked and you hit the nail on the head as to why. It doesn't look like much, but it tastes great.

It is really nice to see all the people here who are just as neurotic as I am about lists. This is making my day that I am not the only one crazy enough to have a tea inventory going.

Apr 14th, '08, 15:19

by Salsero » Apr 14th, '08, 15:19

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:It is really nice to see all the people here who are just as neurotic as I am about lists. This is making my day that I am not the only one crazy enough to have a tea inventory going.
They call it group therapy. We're supposed to get better now.