Fryday TeaDay 4/18/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Has TeaChat and/or TeaDay caused you to try a tea(s) that you were previously not interested in trying?

The question is more like how many, absolutely yes to both
20%
Yes to both
39%
Yes to one or the other, but not both
17%
Possibly, let me do some soul searching
4%
No, I do not think so
15%
Definitely NOT
2%
Other
2%

Total votes: 46

Apr 18th, '08, 03:29
Scrolling: scrolling

Fryday TeaDay 4/18/08

by Chip » Apr 18th, '08, 03:29

Yesterday...responders revealed that 43 liked TeaDay...and 2 did not :shock: . I enjoyed the feedback from everyone. Thanx!!! I also greatly appreciated the encouraging words from many members...not only in posts yesterday, but in PMs as well. :D You may still vote and respond to yesterday's poll and topic!

The last few weeks have been incredible for TeaDay as participation is really off the charts. This has spilled over onto the entire forum as well. These are exciting days for TeaChat, yet the forum maintains its special charm!

Welcome one and all to TeaDay, please share what is in your cup today...alllll day. So, stop back often if you can. Another option is to reflect back on your TeaDay. While here, be nosy and check out what everyone else is sipping! This is more fun for me than even boasting about my Japanese brews!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic...has either TeaChat and/or TeaDay caused you to try a tea that you were not planning on trying otherwise. Share some details with us...this should be interesting.

I am loking forward to hearing what is in your cups...and what tea we forced you to try!!! :twisted: :lol:

Apr 18th, '08, 03:34

by tenuki » Apr 18th, '08, 03:34

FP.

I'm having a last cup for the day of a 90s Menghai DaYi Puerh that is quite good for a shu. I expect to start tomorrow with today's leavings as I only got 8 brewings out of it this evening. I'm pretty sure I'll still be drinking it for lunch.

Please check out my tea book giveaway contest over in teaswap! Bring it on.

Apr 18th, '08, 04:25

by Trioxin » Apr 18th, '08, 04:25

I'm going with "other". Teaday has me wanting to try oolongs, but I just haven't gotten there yet. Too busy buying pu and Darjeelings to be able to afford it yet. Sometime soon though.

Currently in my cup, 2006 Long Yuan Hao (I'm weird, I like 'em young), but for most of the day I've been drinking 2008 Thurbo Tippy Clonal First Flush Darjeeling

Apr 18th, '08, 05:14

by omegapd » Apr 18th, '08, 05:14

Doing a Tea Swap with another member here has caused me to try some different Oolongs that I probably never would have tried, but for the most part, I stick with what I like and know...black breakfast style teas and some flavored black teas (See Lavender Pekoe, you're not alone here :wink: )

I am now addicted to Adagio's Cream tea and it was one of those "bought it on a whim" purchases that worked out well.

Irish Breakfast for me this morning...

EW

Apr 18th, '08, 06:25

by ThinkingOutLoud » Apr 18th, '08, 06:25

Thanks to reading around here, I've ordered a sample of Yunnan Gold, which is on its way. I was just before ordering some TKY to try, but yesterday's in depth discussion on precisly how to brew it to achieve satisfaction has, I think, totally scared me off! So out of my cart it will go.

This morning, I have foregone my usual Irish Breakfast in favor of Earl Grey Bravo, still using up my sample. I've got some Tropical Green Tea bags from revolution that I will brew into iced tea to take to the park with my son as it's going to be hot here today.

Apr 18th, '08, 06:35

by olivierco » Apr 18th, '08, 06:35

It is always good to read about new teas. I have bought some teas described on teachat. Matcha and some other japanese greens.

This morning Yunnan gold for breakfast and Keemun before lunch.

Apr 18th, '08, 06:53

by Trey Winston » Apr 18th, '08, 06:53

Yep, tried some dragon well based on reviews I found via TeaChat. Good stuff, but I ran out. So, more needles of the silver persuasion today.

Apr 18th, '08, 09:03

by TimeforTea » Apr 18th, '08, 09:03

Yes to both. If it weren't for teachat and teaday, I would probably just be drinking citron green every single day. Both teachat and teaday have widely expanded my tea collection into a plethora of delicious choices!

People's suggestions, as well as teachatters' enthusiasm, have led me to try many different teas I otherwise would not have tried.

This morning, I have sencha in my cup. Now who was it again who always posts so enthusiastically about sencha...??? :lol:
Last edited by TimeforTea on Apr 18th, '08, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 18th, '08, 09:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Apr 18th, '08, 09:22

ThinkingOutLoud wrote:Thanks to reading around here, I've ordered a sample of Yunnan Gold, which is on its way. I was just before ordering some TKY to try, but yesterday's in depth discussion on precisly how to brew it to achieve satisfaction has, I think, totally scared me off! So out of my cart it will go.
Oh no! Please refer to my specific brewing advice found here:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=5142&start=60

In my cup this morning a nice brew of Yunnan Golden Tips.

Have a Lovely day all!

Apr 18th, '08, 09:22

by Katmandu » Apr 18th, '08, 09:22

Definitely , I can't even count there has been so many!! When I first got here and even continuing today I get recommendations from the tea gurus here and on TC for many of the teas I've tried. Matcha , fukamashi maki , guricha, and a green and a wuyi oolong are just a few examples of ones I've gotten rec'd to me and loved, which I might otherwise have overlooked,at least at first. . I have not tried puerh(don't think I will for a very LONG time :o -just seems dirt-ee like to me)
White and green teas I came in knowing I loved...

Today a little something different, my gf bought me some mate vana and a new infuser mug :D so I tried that this a.m , then had a cup of Irish breakfast...
Will follow up later with some greens

Apr 18th, '08, 09:30

by GalileosDaughter » Apr 18th, '08, 09:30

I probably never would have tried matcha but I'm thinking of ordering the Ippodo starter set.

Apr 18th, '08, 09:43

by henley » Apr 18th, '08, 09:43

Currently drinking a new favorite thanx to y'all. In my cup is Oolong #8. I'd still be on grocery store tea bags if it weren't for TeaChat. My taste buds say thank you but my wallet doesn't. But hey, there's worse things I could spend money on & I'm worth it!

The thing I appreciate most about TeaDay (& TeaChat) is that I get to have grown-up conversations. I love being a SAHM but sometimes it's nice to escape & have some "me" time.

Apr 18th, '08, 10:59

by tenuki » Apr 18th, '08, 10:59

ThinkingOutLoud wrote:I was just before ordering some TKY to try, but yesterday's in depth discussion on precisly how to brew it to achieve satisfaction has, I think, totally scared me off!
Nooooo!!! :(

Look, Chip and I are just crazy, ignore us like everyone else does and you'll be just fine. Up until a few years ago I brewed everything in a big ol basket infuser for 3 minutes and was perfectly happy.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Apr 18th, '08, 11:23

by ThinkingOutLoud » Apr 18th, '08, 11:23

tenuki wrote:Up until a few years ago I brewed everything in a big ol basket infuser for 3 minutes and was perfectly happy.
Ha! As I said on a post on yesterday's poll, up until I lived in Korea, I thought cooking rice was, well, just cooking rice. I was perfectly happy with the Uncle Ben's my Mom made growing up, but now I couldn't eat it if it were the last rice in the house (not that it would ever be in my house, but you get my drift ....). So, I get your point. There's making tea and then there's *making tea,* apparently. I'll stick with just making tea right now. And will probably try the oolong after all. I'll keep you posted.

Someday, I'll tell y'all my father's story about the tea ceremony he attended in Japan where he made a complete jack-donkey of himself. I don't think he's had a cup since, which is something to say for a Southern boy.

Apr 18th, '08, 11:48

by chamekke » Apr 18th, '08, 11:48

ThinkingOutLoud wrote:Someday, I'll tell y'all my father's story about the tea ceremony he attended in Japan where he made a complete jack-donkey of himself. I don't think he's had a cup since, which is something to say for a Southern boy.
I'd love to hear it.

It's too bad that tea ceremony has such a reputation for being terrifyingly formal. Well - actually it can be - but a good host is aware when the guest is nervous, and acts to put him at his ease. My tea teacher once invited my hubby as a guest (so that he could see what it's like), and he was terribly nervous ... so she encouraged him to sit comfortably cross-legged, and they chatted about soccer all the way through!

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly