Satterday TeaDay 4/19/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

This sounds easy...or is it. Which is your favorite...your tea or your teaware

Tea hands down, without it there would be no teaware
56%
Close, but I say tea, I love both
17%
It is a tie...I cannot choose one
15%
Close, but I say teaware
10%
Clearly it is teaware. My teaware will last a lifetime, my tea a month
2%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 52

Apr 19th, '08, 09:59
Scrolling: scrolling

by CynTEAa » Apr 19th, '08, 09:59

It's all about the tea, but nice teaware does enhance the experience.

Two Yunnan Gold infusions to start things off right. Next I'm thinking sencha of some sort. Have a good 'Satterday' everyone.

:)

Apr 19th, '08, 10:27

by Salsero » Apr 19th, '08, 10:27

Ed wrote:It's all about the tea.
Ed, I love your gift for cutting to the chase and stating the obvious when the rest of us are busy making life complicated. Isn't it like 5:00 am in your time zone? Does no one in this forum sleep? Did I accidentally stumble into the amphetamine forum? Imagine the rate of posting per person there!
Teasweetie wrote: I am glad I used my scale for this one...
Gotta love those scales. A life without scales is a life without balance.
Chip wrote:Welcome EVERYONE to TeaDay.
Chip, you are the Dude, and the Dude abides. In the unlikely event you ever run out of ideas for TeaDay, you could get down to the topic of tea and sleep: using tea to purposely stay awake, avoiding tea before bed.

Apr 19th, '08, 10:30

by Beanbean » Apr 19th, '08, 10:30

It's all about the tea, baby! 8)

Big, steaming mug of Ceylon to start my day today.

Apr 19th, '08, 11:17

by Chip » Apr 19th, '08, 11:17

Love the Teaware, love the Tea, Really love to brew...I could not choose, so I chose complete harmony between tea and teaware.

Fukamushi from Kagoland. This might be my next to last session. My senchas are really dwindling...is there any hope in sight? :D
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 19th, '08, 11:26

by RussianSoul » Apr 19th, '08, 11:26

Chip wrote:My senchas are really dwindling...is there any hope in sight? :D
NOOooooooo!!! You poor thing!

But wait... Hold on tight! Two more weeks until redemption. :D

Apr 19th, '08, 11:28

by chamekke » Apr 19th, '08, 11:28

For me the two are neck-and-neck. Can't separate the delicious drink from the beautiful and functional vessels that you use to prepare and serve it.

I didn't feel this way until I started getting into Japanese pottery, by the way. For most of my life I was 100% oblivious to pottery and ceramics. Then I started studying tea ceremony, and bam - it was like I'd been starving all my life. I went absolutely pottery-mad. (Of course, the beauty of well-crafted Japanese pottery could push anyone off their rocker :wink: )

Frankly, I love teawares so much I almost gave the vote to them! But without tea (be it delicious or not), these things are just artwork. The marriage of beauty and functionality is the best union of all.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 19th, '08, 11:43

by Ron Gilmour » Apr 19th, '08, 11:43

I've resisted buying much teaware until recently. I figured it was better to spend the money on good tea. That said, I'm awaiting both my first kyusu and my first yixing pot via mail order.

This morning I'm drinking 2007 Old Banzhang Arbor Pu-Erh. (And I'm drinking it out of an old mug adorned with the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation, so I guess that means I'm not really a teaware geek...yet.)

Apr 19th, '08, 11:50

by chamekke » Apr 19th, '08, 11:50

Ron Gilmour wrote:This morning I'm drinking 2007 Old Banzhang Arbor Pu-Erh. (And I'm drinking it out of an old mug adorned with the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation, so I guess that means I'm not really a teaware geek...yet.)
Dude - I am sure at heart you're a fine teaware geek. This is just the equivalent of wearing your pyjamas around the house. We all do it :wink:

Apr 19th, '08, 11:51

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 19th, '08, 11:51

I prefer my tea. My small collection of tea ware is more of a necessity for good tea simply so everything is not brewed in an infuser basket. I do have a certain fondness for my kyusu and my favorite mug, but I definitely would rather have my tea. I have a feeling that my opinion on today's poll will change when I eventually decide to purchase more tea ware.

Today is starting with Kyoto Cherry Rose Sencha.

Apr 19th, '08, 12:10

by Ed » Apr 19th, '08, 12:10

Ed, I love your gift for cutting to the chase and stating the obvious when the rest of us are busy making life complicated. Isn't it like 5:00 am in your time zone? Does no one in this forum sleep? Did I accidentally stumble into the amphetamine forum? Imagine the rate of posting per person there!
:mrgreen: Yeah, I woke up way too early for a Saturday. But a tea forum is bound to have its share of caffeine tweakers... we are the amphetamine user's healthier cousins perhaps?

Apr 19th, '08, 12:33

by Salsero » Apr 19th, '08, 12:33

Ed wrote: Yeah, I woke up way too early for a Saturday ... we are ... healthier cousins perhaps?
Me too, can't sleep lately, and haven't even been able to fall into my delicious late afternoon naps.

As for healthy, let's hope so. Tea and home brew: the health freak's speedball.

Apr 19th, '08, 13:17

by Victoria » Apr 19th, '08, 13:17

It's all about the tea for me. I could go back basics anytime and drink out of coffee cups <gasp> if I had to. I wouldn't want to, nice teaware does enhance the experience.

A nice Yunnan in my cup this morning.

Happy Saturday!

Apr 19th, '08, 13:24

by ThinkingOutLoud » Apr 19th, '08, 13:24

Victoria wrote:I could go back basics anytime and drink out of coffee cups <gasp> if I had to. I wouldn't want to, nice teaware does enhance the experience.
I have to admit that my geeky side loves drinking my Chinese green tea out of my Starbucks Beijing mug, purchased in the Holiday Inn in, you guessed it, Beijing. :D

Apr 19th, '08, 13:27

by RussianSoul » Apr 19th, '08, 13:27

So far it's tea over the teaware for me. But I am only starting here, so it may change. My birthday presents of tokoname kyusu and a couple of pretty yunome are waiting for the correct date. We'll see what will happen after that. I do need a teapot for my Chinese teas though. It's a slippery slop. Right now I drink all my teas from Englsh bone china cups.

Irish Breakfast for breakfast, and now I am enjoying a wonderful cup of Pouchong. These oolongs are growing on me.

I made some iced Guricha last night, it came out very nice. I will take it in a bottle with me when we'll go for a walk later.

Apr 19th, '08, 13:54

by scotty X » Apr 19th, '08, 13:54

i think tea's pride of status may be challenged once i start getting more teaware, especially yixings. but i do love the teaware i have, particularly the bodum glassware of varying sizes, and i'll always have a soft spot for my guilty-pleasure-vessel: my DONT MESS WITH TEXAS mug.

thiashola nilgiri got me through the morning baking, ably assisted by some puerh and red robe, and i'm now stoked to go into work and make my straight trippin concoction: mate, earl grey, and a double shot of espresso in a 14oz tea pot. don't worry, i only drink one small shot of it. did somebody mention *healthy* speedballs??