Monday is TeaDay, 4/21/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Chamekke asks, what, if anything, do you dislike about tea preparation and "enjoyment?"

Picking the tea
2%
Picking the teaware
No votes
Heating the water, watched pot not boiling fast enough
7%
Getting the temperature right
4%
Getting the amount of leaf right
2%
Getting the time right/the waiting
4%
Overbrewing/bitter brew, Underbrewing/too light
16%
Scalding my fingers, mouth
7%
Cleaning all the teaware after each use
38%
Descaling my teaware
7%
Other
9%
Late entry...there is no part I dislike
5%

Total votes: 56

Apr 21st, '08, 03:06
Scrolling: scrolling

Monday is TeaDay, 4/21/08

by Chip » Apr 21st, '08, 03:06

Welcome one and all to TeaDay! So, fill a pot and share with us what is in your cup today...all day...frequent updates are needed so we can all get through another Monday. If you need to, you can stop back and reflect on your TeaDay as well. Make sure, as always, that you check out what everyone else is sipping!

Today, Chamekke asked, what if any part of your tea preparation and enjoyment do you dislike the most. So, vote in the poll and then discuss your answers here.

I am looking forward to hearing from everyone todaay and sharing lots of tea with each other!
Last edited by Chip on Apr 21st, '08, 13:44, edited 2 times in total.

Apr 21st, '08, 03:52

by Trey Winston » Apr 21st, '08, 03:52

I have been known to overbrew both greens and whites. My attention is easily diverted to less important things than watching tea steep. Starting to get a grip on the problem, though (I hope).

Apr 21st, '08, 04:01

by Terrasi » Apr 21st, '08, 04:01

I almost always mess up the time because I think "okay, 3 minutes, that's 3 minutes I can go check my email, oh look, teachat, maybe I'll just read a few people's comments. Oh my, 15 minutes have passed?! Oh darn, my tea tastes like a bitter, evil, witches brew".

And so, I need a timer that beeps at me or something.

In my cup: chamomile, time to sleep.

Apr 21st, '08, 05:28

by augie » Apr 21st, '08, 05:28

Terrasi wrote: And so, I need a timer that beeps at me or something.

In my cup: chamomile, time to sleep.
Timer doesn't help me, I keep doing whatever distracted me thinking it's only beeped a few times. An extra minute or two.

Right now, coffee is in my cup. I have been awake since 4:30 a.m. with a sick dog. I've spent an hour cleaning bloody pee off the carpet and the vet doesn't open for one more hour. :cry: As soon as I'm awake I'll start some tea!

My DH just informed me we had another 4.something earthquake. I slept through. I was awake for the last one and didn't feel anything. Didn't feel the one in '87 either. Hopefully, it will be along time before I get the chance again! Have a shake-free day all!

Apr 21st, '08, 06:18

by Space Samurai » Apr 21st, '08, 06:18

There's something not to enjoy?

Apr 21st, '08, 06:53

by ThinkingOutLoud » Apr 21st, '08, 06:53

augie wrote:
Terrasi wrote: Right now, coffee is in my cup. I have been awake since 4:30 a.m. with a sick dog. I've spent an hour cleaning bloody pee off the carpet and the vet doesn't open for one more hour. :cry: As soon as I'm awake I'll start some tea!

My DH just informed me we had another 4.something earthquake. I slept through. I was awake for the last one and didn't feel anything. Didn't feel the one in '87 either. Hopefully, it will be along time before I get the chance again! Have a shake-free day all!
Oh, heavens, I do hope your day improves and that your dog gets well! Do keep us posted.

I hate cleaning. Period. It doesn't matter what it is: laundry, dishes, bedrooms, floors, counters ... whatever, I hate cleaning. This leeches into teaware; I hate cleaning it. Most mornings, I use my triniTEA. I hate cleaning it, even though it's quite simple, really. And then in the afternoon, I use this adorable little teapot picked up in a market in Seoul. I hate cleaning it, though, again, quite simple. It's the only thing about making tea that I don't like. But I hated cleaning the coffee pot, too. And even water glasses must be washed.

OK, maybe "hate" is too strong a term. Actually, I don't allow my kids to use that word. That and "stupid" are banned from our vocab. Let's say I strongly dislike the task.

This morning, I have returned to Irish Breakfast from my Earl Grey Bravo experiment and, surprisingly, my old friend is not as pleasant as I remember. Huh.

Apr 21st, '08, 08:36

by Beanbean » Apr 21st, '08, 08:36

There is really nothing about the process that I dislike. Making tea is like a little ballet or something. I know all the moves and I get it right every time with my favorite teas. If I'm trying a new tea, I'm more careful with weighing the leaves and timing the steep but I'm also aware that this is a new tea and it may not be what I expect. Nah. I enjoy making tea almost as much as I enjoy drinking it.

Assam in my cup this morning.

Apr 21st, '08, 08:56

by henley » Apr 21st, '08, 08:56

ThinkingOutLoud wrote:I hate cleaning. Period. It doesn't matter what it is: laundry, dishes, bedrooms, floors, counters ... whatever, I hate cleaning.

OK, maybe "hate" is too strong a term. Actually, I don't allow my kids to use that word. That and "stupid" are banned from our vocab. Let's say I strongly dislike the task.
Were we separated at birth? It amazes me sometimes that as much as I hate (excuse me, strongly dislike) doing dishes & throw everything in the dishwasher, I'm willing to stand there & wash all my precious teaware by hand. I'll come clean your house if you come clean mine then we'll make a road trip to NY for some of those yummy chocolates! :wink:

It's nice to know someone else has the same words banned from their kids' vocabulary. The ones you listed & "butt" are off limits at my house. Told my daughter that they're not really bad words, they just sound ugly coming out of little mouths.

Off to try my sample of Yunnan Gold this morning. Bought the sample knowing if I didn't like it there would be someone to whom I could pass it along...

Apr 21st, '08, 09:12

by GalileosDaughter » Apr 21st, '08, 09:12

I have a TriniTea because I'm lousy at timing and can never get the water temp just right. Helps a lot.

Today drinking Harney Organic Assam.

Oh, and henley and ThinkingOutLoud: words banned in our house are "hate," "stupid," and "shut up."

Apr 21st, '08, 09:38

by TimeforTea » Apr 21st, '08, 09:38

There is nothing about the process I dislike. However, if I have to pick something, I guess it would be cleaning the teaware. Although, cleaning teaware is part of thewhole tea process. Plus, it can be meditative in a way. That being said, cleaning the zarafina when I was a noob was not so fun...!

In my nice white Japanese cup this morning: sencha premier, brewed properly this time thanks to my tea scale...and digital timer, of course!
Last edited by TimeforTea on Apr 21st, '08, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 21st, '08, 09:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Apr 21st, '08, 09:38

I really can't think of any part I don't enjoy. Well I wouldn't enjoy being scalded, but that hasn't happened, so I went with other. I don't mind cleaning up, I enjoy it all, I'm strange I guess. I just love tea and everything associated with it.

In my morning cup Adagio Keemun Concerto - wow, this is pretty good.

Have a good day everyone!
Last edited by Victoria on Apr 21st, '08, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 21st, '08, 09:43

by TimeforTea » Apr 21st, '08, 09:43

augie wrote:I have been awake since 4:30 a.m. with a sick dog. I've spent an hour cleaning bloody pee off the carpet and the vet doesn't open for one more hour. :cry: My DH just informed me we had another 4.something earthquake. I slept through.
Oh no!! Keep us posted, Augie. I hope your day improves.

Apr 21st, '08, 09:52

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 21st, '08, 09:52

I've always eyeballed the temperature for my teas even though I have a little thermometer for them. My main issue is that my water heater/dispenser thing only holds 16oz of water. When I want a large mug of tea, if I were to preheat my mug, it would take two heatings of the water which is not overly efficient. Not to mention, the machine only wants to heat up to 180ish now and won't even boil no matter the amount and starting temperature of the water that gets put in it. I definitely need a new one at some point.

This morning is White Tip Oolong. It tastes great with whatever temperature it has been being steeped at unlike some of my other teas.

Apr 21st, '08, 09:56

by bambooforest » Apr 21st, '08, 09:56

I'm surprised, "getting the water temperature just right" didn't score the highest percentage.

I enjoy tea preparation. But I find getting that gold temperature can be the greatest challenge when preparing tea. It is the only thing that could be rated as something I don't enjoy.

That being said, I enjoy it all.

Apr 21st, '08, 10:01

by RussianSoul » Apr 21st, '08, 10:01

I couldn't pick out anything from the list that I dislike. But there is something in my Tea Universe that is annoying. It's a question what to do with teas I don't like. I can't make myself throw them into the garbage. And, while I can give some of them to my friends or try to swap, there are still several that I consider too bad to give to anybody. So they are just sitting there in the kitchen, sucking Chi and making me feel bad every time I remember them.

Assam Boisahabi this morning. I have one tea left in my Fukamushi tin and one in the TKY tin. I will try to finish them later in the day.