Long time storage: fridge or freezer?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Apr 23rd, '08, 08:45

Long time storage: fridge or freezer?

by Ritva » Apr 23rd, '08, 08:45

How do you store tea for a longer time? I've read in many places that fridge is good for storing unopened packages. However, if I keep garlic or onion containing food in my fridge, there can be some odour lingering around. It feels risky to put high grade tea to fridge, even though it would be in unopened packages. Maiko recommends freezing tea. My freezer is more odour-free than my fridge, but what do you think about freezing tea? Would it be better to store tea in the fridge with the risk of occasional strong odours or use the freezer?

Apr 23rd, '08, 13:08
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Long time storage: fridge or freezer?

by Chip » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:08

Ritva wrote: However, if I keep garlic or onion containing food in my fridge, there can be some odour lingering around. It feels risky to put high grade tea to fridge, even though it would be in unopened packages. Maiko recommends freezing tea. My freezer is more odour-free than my fridge, but what do you think about freezing tea? Would it be better to store tea in the fridge with the risk of occasional strong odours or use the freezer?
Dude...you need a TeaFridge... 8) All kool kats have one.

Freezing freaks me out a bit, but Zencha also supposedly recommends long term freezing of shincha to maintain better freshness vs just refridgerating.

I never tried it, and I am not planning on adding a TeaFreezer.

Apr 23rd, '08, 13:22

by olivierco » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:22

Chip wrote:
Dude...you need a TeaFridge...
I store my unopened packages in hermetic plastic boxes in my fridge and no problem of odor transfered (even if I very often eat some cheeses as Maroilles).

Apr 23rd, '08, 13:35

by Chip » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:35

olivierco wrote:
Chip wrote:
I store my unopened packages in hermetic plastic boxes in my fridge and no problem of odor transfered (even if I very often eat some cheeses as Maroilles).
And this is why one should avoid buying sencha from a Frenchman, all their tea smells like smelly cheese. :wink:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 23rd, '08, 13:36

by olivierco » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:36

Chip wrote:
olivierco wrote:
Chip wrote:
And this is why one should avoid buying sencha from a Frenchman, all their tea smells like smelly cheese. :wink:
Don't you want to try some cheesamushi sencha?

Apr 23rd, '08, 13:49

by Chip » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:49

olivierco wrote:Don't you want to try some cheesamushi sencha?
:lol: Is that cheese flavored, or tradtionally/naturally cheese scented by layering Maroilles with fresh picked sencha leaves 12 consecutive nights!

Apr 23rd, '08, 15:29

by Ritva » Apr 23rd, '08, 15:29

Chip wrote:
olivierco wrote:
Chip wrote:
Oh dear, and I was going to visit Mariage Freres when I go to Paris in July... Must reconsider that :wink:

And yes, I've read about the famous TeaFridge...

Apr 23rd, '08, 15:50

by Chip » Apr 23rd, '08, 15:50

Ritva wrote: Oh dear, and I was going to visit Mariage Freres when I go to Paris in July... Must reconsider that :wink:

And yes, I've read about the famous TeaFridge...
...infamous TeaFridge!!!

Yes, avoid french tea shops and cafes... :lol:

Apr 23rd, '08, 16:05

by battra » Apr 23rd, '08, 16:05

An unopened package shouldn't let a single oxygen molecule pass through, much less odors (which are far bigger molecules) - I think it is safe to store the packages in the fridge. But it would of course be more or less smelly on the outside, so it might be most safe to transfer the tea from the package to a canister when opened...

I would be more concerned about what might happen to tea in a freezer (since tea leaves does contain water), though I haven't tried either of these methods.

+ Post Reply