Wednesday is TeaDay 4/23/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Most of us think we know how to brew, I think! How would you rate your own prowess around the teapot?

A perfect 10, I can out brew anyone...I know ; )
No votes
8-9 I like to think I am exceptionally proficient at brewing
18%
6-7 I am smarter than the average brewer, BooBoo
40%
4-5 I think I am getting there, but hang on the words of other brewers
25%
2-3 I am green, but learning
16%
1 How do I boil water?
No votes
0 My brew tastes like coffee
No votes

Total votes: 55

Apr 23rd, '08, 09:56

by omegapd » Apr 23rd, '08, 09:56

Like henley, I do black teas just fine...

When some of you all start talking that green tea latin, I'm lost. :lol:

EW

Apr 23rd, '08, 10:16

by chamekke » Apr 23rd, '08, 10:16

I'm somewhere between 4-5 and 6-7 ... depending on the tea!

In my cup: nothing. I'm actually taking a peek at TeaChat before I've made my morning cuppa. How sad is that?

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

Apr 23rd, '08, 10:21

by witches brew » Apr 23rd, '08, 10:21

When it comes to brewing tea, I am still green and so is my tea.

Tisanes are very forgiving, and ideal for the easily distracted, absent-minded TeaWitch.

Green teas, on the other hand, require my full attention.

This morning, I got it right, a perfect cup of genmaicha. Yum.

Apr 23rd, '08, 11:30

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 23rd, '08, 11:30

I would rate myself around a 4-5. I still ask a lot of questions before I try to brew a certain tea. I don't have too many problems with black teas and haven't experimented with enough oolongs to get a solid ground for brewing them yet. I've had a heck of a time with greens lately while trying to clean out Adagio sample tins. I managed to ruin about 3 of the 4 that I tried, all for different reasons. Somehow even if I pay attention to temperature and time and amount, it still doesn't work right.

This morning is more White Tip Oolong. I can successfully brew this one since it responds well to a pinch of tea leaves and whatever temperature my Hot Shot is at when the light goes off to say the water is done. Three minutes later, I have an enjoyable cup of tea.

Apr 23rd, '08, 11:42

by trent » Apr 23rd, '08, 11:42

I'm not sure what I would rate myself. I do ALOT of research to determine my ideal parameters for brewing tea, and I am nearly always pleased with the result. So... you could call me a noob for doing alot of research, or an expert for getting an excellent result.

Apr 23rd, '08, 12:42
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Apr 23rd, '08, 12:42

My first brew this morning was a perfectly brewed cup of Yunnan Golden Tips. My 2nd tea, now here at work, is a lovely green oolong brewed to exacting perfection using an unknown and unnamed tea, brewed in a new pot I have never used before.

Have a lovely day everyone!

Apr 23rd, '08, 12:46

by olivierco » Apr 23rd, '08, 12:46

Darjeeling Puttabong SFTGFOP1 right now.
For this tea, I will rate myself with a 9.5
Too bad the package is almost over and this tea is out of stock for ever (last year harvest...).

Apr 23rd, '08, 13:27

by Chip » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:27

At the risk of sounding boastful, I voted 8-9, but I think there is a huge CHAsm between where I am at and a 10. I simply love to brew...as much if not more than to drink. I tend to lean towards TeaScience when brewing though, lacking the intuitiveness many TeaChatters possess.

But this is all in my head anyway!!! ...and the incredibly intelligent author said, "I like to think..."

I have few sencha choices to start out my TeaDay, so I went with the same ole Sencha Gyokuro blend. I would rate my proficiency around 9.84 for this session.

Apr 23rd, '08, 13:28

by RussianSoul » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:28

I would give myself 3.5. I am a newbie, I listen to my elders and seek advice, and then - experiment. I can reach something close to perfection with teas I know, my standard blacks and most of my Japanese. I can also produce quite a mess with a new type of tea, as I have proven with my wuyi's. But I'd like to think I am trainable.

Wuyi Ensemble in the morning. Now finishing up the last of Sencha Fukamushi.

The new kyusu performs wonders - I swear my sencha's taste is deeper brewed in it. And while this may be subjective, here's an objective parameter. From the same sencha I could produce 3 steeps in my tetsubin with a brewing basket. The 3rd steep would be kind of weak, a good evening tea. The kyusu can make 4 steeps from the same amount of the same sencha, and the 4th steep is more flavorful than the 3rd from my tetsubin.

I now understand why people use specialized vessels, they make better teas.

Apr 23rd, '08, 13:34

by olivierco » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:34

RussianSoul wrote: I now understand why people use specialized vessels, they make better teas.
That is my favorite excuse to buy teaware!

Apr 23rd, '08, 13:43

by Chip » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:43

RussianSoul wrote: The new kyusu performs wonders - I swear my sencha's taste is deeper brewed in it. And while this may be subjective, here's an objective parameter. From the same sencha I could produce 3 steeps in my tetsubin with a brewing basket. The 3rd steep would be kind of weak, a good evening tea. The kyusu can make 4 steeps from the same amount of the same sencha, and the 4th steep is more flavorful than the 3rd from my tetsubin.

I now understand why people use specialized vessels, they make better teas.
Indeed...I agree!!!

And congrats on your new found success. If you feel adventuresome, try a 5th sencha steep. When done right (boiling water!!! at least 10 min.) it is simply a sweet yet delightful TeaWater...I love it.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Apr 23rd, '08, 13:48

by auggy » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:48

I voted 4-5 for me. I look up suggestions online before brewing something new to get a ballpark then go from there. I do tend to cut brew times a bit for my taste and I think the shorter brew time makes my teas less forgiving if I don't get enough leaf (which is currently the issue I'm dealing with since switching to a scale but I think I'm finally getting that under control).

Of course, without my zojirushi and timer, I'd have to vote much much lower.

No tea today for me. Not up to brewing. Kitty passed away Monday (heart failure - he was 5) and I'm kind of lost. Maybe tonight I can put something on...

Apr 23rd, '08, 13:53

by Victoria » Apr 23rd, '08, 13:53

Awww Auggy so sorry about your kitty. Heartbreaking.

I brewed up a second pot of this oolong and it's going strong, good stuff whatever it is, thanks tenuki.

Apr 23rd, '08, 14:51

by auggy » Apr 23rd, '08, 14:51

Victoria wrote:Awww Auggy so sorry about your kitty. Heartbreaking.
Thanks...I admit it, I'm so not taking it well.

Apr 23rd, '08, 15:08

by Chip » Apr 23rd, '08, 15:08

That is sooo sad Auggy! I too am sorry to hear that. :cry:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!