Tea Pass

"Retired" Swaps SubForum

Apr 24th, '08, 18:37

Tea Pass

by Eastree » Apr 24th, '08, 18:37

-Disclaimer-
Neither the moderation staff of TeaChat nor our gracious hosts have any sponsorship of this event. Nor is there any relationship to any outside vendors. They bear no responsibility for the contents of the pass, or its quality thereof. The box and its contents are all samples from people's current stashes.

The short of it:

A box pass is simple. Someone puts some stuff into a box. After collecting a list of names and addresses, the box of stuff is sent to the first person on the list. That person tries some of the stuff, and possibly adds some more (actually, that's all in the spirit of the pass) before passing the box to the next person on the list. This goes to the end of the list, which is the return to the originator. The contents of the box are either held for another pass, given away, or something else depending on prior request (such as someone wanting the rest of a given product back if there is any).

A one-for-one swap is not necessary, and there is no limit to how much or little one can add. In fact, for our new-to-tea people, it is even acceptable to try several and add none. Just please, unless there is only enough remaining for one brew, do not remove all of one tea -- such as an entire puerh cake.

This time, the box will have tea.

So I'll be collecting names for two weeks from tomorrow (send date: 09 May). Please PM me your address so I can add it to the list. You can request a general location in the running, but if too many people want to be at the end, for example, I'll have to just add them all in the order of request (reverse order, of course! Last to not-so-last). If you have a boatload to add and wish to be toward the front of the line, same thing: order of request.

The long of it:

Who is elegible
This pass wil be basically unrestricted. Some boards like having a 'newbie' pass, but I'll just ask for enough post history to establish legitimacy. In order to simplify shipping, this pass is limited to CONUS.

How many people?
To be perfectly honest, I want at least ten people. But there is not a concrete minimum or maximum. Either way should be fun.

Shipping
The box can be passed along to the next person in line by any means the sender wishes, and I'll request (though not require) that the package has a tracking number. This prevents lost packages along the way, reduces the risk of a dishonest member, and seriously increases anticipation of receiving the box! At least PM the next person in line to notify shipping, and the previous to notify of receipt. This way, if it gets lost, we'll know about where.

Packaging
Tea is sensitive. Odors must be contained as well as possible to each tea's own. That is, please try to eliminate odor leaks. I'm sure you don't want your first try of an aged puerh to taste like strawberries! (It's just an example! Calm down!)

Besides odors, the individual containers of tea MUST be labeled. I cannot iterate this enough. Who wants to stick a bit of mystery tea into their infusers? If they love it, they have no idea what to search for. If they hate it, they have nothing to avoid. Also, try suggesting some brewing instructions, if possible. Feel free to use whatever notation you are most comfortable with.

The box needs enough packing to keep the teas stable. I'll start off stuffing with old sale ads since I don't have a stash of peanuts, and newsprint is readily available.

Box Contents
Since I really don't have a world of tea to send, the box should not get too big, at least at first. So far, the box will start with the following:

* One cake of 2006 Nan Jian Zhai Zi Po Mark raw puerh
* One cake plus some, of 2005 Gong Ting Tribute Ripe Puerh
* 57 grams Wen Mountain Baozhong Oolong
* Just for the fun of it, the rest of the mini-tuocha I ordered a while back.

In so far:
(from me to ...)
1. Russian Soul
2. henley
3. LavenderPekoe
4. auggy
5. Ladytiger
6. Aphroditea
7. forkyfork
8. GeoffK
9. devites
10.Carnelian
11. DangerInRed
12. Cinnamon Kitty (requested a later position)
(and back to me)
Last edited by Eastree on May 9th, '08, 16:25, edited 11 times in total.

Apr 24th, '08, 18:40

by RussianSoul » Apr 24th, '08, 18:40

I would like to play, please!

Apr 24th, '08, 19:02

by Cinnamon Kitty » Apr 24th, '08, 19:02

This sounds incredibly fun!

Apr 24th, '08, 19:05

by DangerInRed » Apr 24th, '08, 19:05

I think I'd like to be in, although I must say, I was hoping for some of those baggies of flavored black teas. Maybe stick me somewhere in the mid-end? I am going to be away for a couple of weeks during the summer and want to make sure it doesn't arrive when I am going to be away for two weeks. If it's too much trouble though, I can always sit out.

And what, no Adagio teas? :lol:

Apr 24th, '08, 20:24

by tenuki » Apr 24th, '08, 20:24

Pretty cool idea!
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Apr 25th, '08, 10:44

by LavenderPekoe » Apr 25th, '08, 10:44

I would like to be in. Put me somewhere before DangerInRed and I will add some flavored Adagio teas for her. :) Although, I am really low right now, so I will have to procure some before hand. Awe, too bad, I have to buy more tea.
Teas for trade:

Apr 25th, '08, 12:29

by augie » Apr 25th, '08, 12:29

Eastree, sign me up, next if you'd like. :-)

Are tea bags acceptable? :shock:

Apr 25th, '08, 14:13

by RussianSoul » Apr 25th, '08, 14:13

LavenderPekoe wrote:Put me somewhere before DangerInRed and I will add some flavored Adagio teas for her. :) Although, I am really low right now, so I will have to procure some before hand. Awe, too bad, I have to buy more tea.
I actually have a number of Adagio flavored's that I realized I don't like. I think DangerInRed will be pretty happy with my collection :wink: .

Not to say that you shouldn't shop for tea, LavenderPekoe! :D

Apr 25th, '08, 14:33

by Eastree » Apr 25th, '08, 14:33

The list keeps getting longer!

Apr 25th, '08, 14:35

by Beidao » Apr 25th, '08, 14:35

Can Europeans join you? Then I'm severly tempted...
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Apr 25th, '08, 14:46

by Eastree » Apr 25th, '08, 14:46

Unfortunately, it's only CONUS this time. It's mostly to save shipping and minimalize delays between destinations. Delays? It typically takes abotu two weeks for something to ship to Europe, and that's not counting if Customs gets a hold of it.

Apr 25th, '08, 14:56

by Beidao » Apr 25th, '08, 14:56

I understand totally. Have a nice tea-passing without me then! :wink:
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

Apr 25th, '08, 16:27

by Ladytiger » Apr 25th, '08, 16:27

Put me on the list! This will be awesome!

Apr 25th, '08, 17:45

by Aphroditea » Apr 25th, '08, 17:45

I hate to be a bother and I know I said put me anywhere, but it occurs to me that I will be out of town starting May 14th and going for 2 weeks - so I might need to be something like 4th in the roster so as not to hold up the box too long.

:?:

Apr 25th, '08, 17:57

by Eastree » Apr 25th, '08, 17:57

Done and done.