question about boiling water

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

Oct 30th, '05, 11:19

question about boiling water

by kholdstayr » Oct 30th, '05, 11:19

I have a question about boiling water for black tea. I have a whistling tea kettle that doesn't start to whistle until the water really starts to boiling (all of the water boiling fairly heavily).

Before it starts whistling though it will start to rumble a bit when the water is almost at the boiling point. When it starts to rumble you can see the water get a little bubbly but its not at a full boil.

So, should I wait until the kettle starts to whistle with a full boil or should I just let the water start to bubble a little bit before using it with the tea? I read about how having the water overboil is a bad idea, so I don't know if letting it get to a full boil counts as overboiling or not.

Nov 15th, '05, 13:11

by Mali » Nov 15th, '05, 13:11

I know it's been a while since you've posted, but I'm new around here...

You can (should?) bring the water to a full, rolling boil for black tea. Green tea is best made when you hear the rumbling sounds and the bubbles are beginning to form and break from the bottom.

I find that if the water isn't boiling fully, my black tea doesn't taste right. To me, anyway.

:)
Find yourself a cup of tea; the teapot is behind you. Now tell me about hundreds of things. ~Saki

Nov 16th, '05, 19:46

Re: question about boiling water

by Ric » Nov 16th, '05, 19:46

kholdstayr wrote:I have a question about boiling water for black tea. I have a whistling tea kettle that doesn't start to whistle until the water really starts to boiling (all of the water boiling fairly heavily).

Before it starts whistling though it will start to rumble a bit when the water is almost at the boiling point. When it starts to rumble you can see the water get a little bubbly but its not at a full boil.

So, should I wait until the kettle starts to whistle with a full boil or should I just let the water start to bubble a little bit before using it with the tea? I read about how having the water overboil is a bad idea, so I don't know if letting it get to a full boil counts as overboiling or not.
There is a funny thing about water, it can not get any colder than 32 deg. nor any hotter than 212 deg.

But becareful, if you boil your water to long, your tea will taste flat.
In God's Grace,
Ric

+ Post Reply