May 1st, '08, 14:04

by Eastree » May 1st, '08, 14:04

I've had one -- that exact model -- since late last year, and it's still working perfectly well. I have no complaints.

It heats fast for an electric nothing too technologically advanced (no induction heating, for example ... but then it would be much more expensive), and the pour is very controllable. The controlled pour is great for gongfu and timid green teas, opposed to some kettles which require dumping water into the pot else it runs down the spot.

But not the one you're asking about. Its narrow spout opening and the lip at the end of the spout prevent backflow, and enable as slow or fast of a pour as you may want.

May 1st, '08, 22:43

by hop_goblin » May 1st, '08, 22:43

I have one but only lasted a year and a half and then the pressure switch broke. Now I use a earthenware pot.

May 2nd, '08, 18:31

Re: Kamjove/Chinese-style electric kettles?

by wyardley » May 2nd, '08, 18:31

FlyingPaperShredder wrote:Does anybody have any experience with those Kamjove/Chinese-style electric kettles? I find that they look pretty cool, and I like the fact that the interior is all-stainless steel, but I was wondering how well-made or how durable/long-lasting they were, especially since I keep reading things about electric kettles breaking after a few months or so.
The ones that look like that one (low tech, bakelite base) seem to be pretty indestructible as far as I can tell. Because most Chinese stuff is ~200-220V, most of the older ones available are Taiwanese brands, and many are not UL listed. There are a few different companies that make these - they all look the same at first look, but there are subtle differences (type of handle, shape of the spout, the actual shut-off mechanism).

The newer Kamjove ones work pretty well (I have a TP-680 as well as a Taiwanese one w/ bakelite base), but don't hold up to very frequent use as well - I have one at work that I've been using for a year and a half or more, and it's fine, but my friend used to use the 680s in her shop and had multiple failures. On the other hand, the Kamjoves are cheap - usually around $25-30 for a decent one. Also, they are UL listed. Make sure you get one that's 600-800W - the 400W ones are butt slow. The plastic base on mine gets kind of a funny smell when it gets hot, but it doesn't affect the flavor of the water itself.

Overall, I prefer the Taiwanese ones, but they're hard to find for < $60-80, even in Asian supermarkets. I bought mine from an LA Ten Ren, and talked them down a little on the price.

+ Post Reply