Friday's TeaDay 5/02/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

In the month of April, your one favorite tea (flavored or not) was?

Black
19%
Oolong
27%
Green
32%
White
10%
Pu-erh
11%
Herbal
No votes
Rooibos
2%
Yerbe Mate
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 63

May 2nd, '08, 18:46

by Jade Flower » May 2nd, '08, 18:46

I stuck mostly to oolongs during April, tried different grades of Ti Kuan Yin and discovered that it's smooth floral taste goes great with dessert :P Now it's my official dessert tea.
I also fell in love with Darjeeling Poobong White, can drink like three 12 oz cups of it in a row :D

May 2nd, '08, 19:24

by RussianSoul » May 2nd, '08, 19:24

Jade Flower wrote:I also fell in love with Darjeeling Poobong White, can drink like three 12 oz cups of it in a row :D
Jade Flower, which vendor your Darjeeling Poobong White comes from? It sounds like something I might like as well.

To answer today's poll I picked White. In March I realized my undying love for sencha. I continued to drink a lot of sencha in April, but I also discovered White tea. My poor credit card... :oops:

I made myself a Sencha-Gyokuro blend this afternoon. I mixed equal amounts of er... sencha and umm... gyokuro and brewed for 2 minutes at 155 degrees. OMG! It is wonderfully sweet, vegetal and thick.

May 2nd, '08, 20:13
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » May 2nd, '08, 20:13

RussianSoul wrote: I made myself a Sencha-Gyokuro blend this afternoon. I mixed equal amounts of er... sencha and umm... gyokuro and brewed for 2 minutes at 155 degrees. OMG! It is wonderfully sweet, vegetal and thick.
Yep, I do this a lot, actually. Japanese greens are so much more blendable than Chinese greens (just teas, not flavors :wink: ).

I have used one Gyo that was so bad...yet with sencha creating an incredible blend that far surpassed the sum of its parts.

This evening, sencha Sakura. I am so glad to have this around right now. It is such a friendly comforting tea for me. Quiet, not as assertive as most Japanese greens...just what I needed this evening. :idea:

May 2nd, '08, 20:32

by RussianSoul » May 2nd, '08, 20:32

Chip wrote:
RussianSoul wrote: I made myself a Sencha-Gyokuro blend this afternoon. I mixed equal amounts of er... sencha and umm... gyokuro and brewed for 2 minutes at 155 degrees. OMG! It is wonderfully sweet, vegetal and thick.
Yep, I do this a lot, actually.
I should have mentioned that I got this idea from you, actually. Thanks, Chip!

May 2nd, '08, 20:42

by Chip » May 2nd, '08, 20:42

RussianSoul wrote:
Chip wrote:
Yep, I do this a lot, actually.
I should have mentioned that I got this idea from you, actually. Thanks, Chip!
Shucks... :oops:

Welcome of course, but you have actually paid me the highest compliment!!! :!:
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 2nd, '08, 21:20

by Salsero » May 2nd, '08, 21:20

RussianSoul wrote: a Sencha-Gyokuro blend this afternoon. I mixed equal ... and brewed for 2 minutes at 155 degrees.
Would it be sacrilege to do this with Yutaka Midori? It sounds so good.

May 2nd, '08, 21:57

by chamekke » May 2nd, '08, 21:57

Who makes the sencha sakura? I am strangely intrigued.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

May 2nd, '08, 23:17

by Chip » May 2nd, '08, 23:17

chamekke wrote:Who makes the sencha sakura? I am strangely intrigued.
Sakura is a Spring tea made with cherry and/or cherry blossoms. The one I have has cherry flower buds in it since it is made before the blossoms open. It is a tradtional tea usually consumed around the time of the flowering cherry trees around Kyuoto.

So I have read...

May 2nd, '08, 23:49

by Victoria » May 2nd, '08, 23:49

Cinnamon Kitty wrote: Yesterday I sampled Yunnan Gold, Spring Darjeeling, and Peach Oolong. I really did not like the Yunnan Gold at all. The smell of the dry leaves and the tea itself reminded me of the barn at the zoo with the musty hay and the sheep, pigs, goats, and llamas. The flavor of the tea was smooth, but I couldn't get past the barn smell.
Did you say llama?
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/llama

One brew of Adagio's TKY in my travel mug for me today. I am seriously in need of tea but it is late. Alas!

May 3rd, '08, 00:27

by chamekke » May 3rd, '08, 00:27

Chip wrote:
chamekke wrote:Who makes the sencha sakura? I am strangely intrigued.
Sakura is a Spring tea made with cherry and/or cherry blossoms. The one I have has cherry flower buds in it since it is made before the blossoms open. It is a tradtional tea usually consumed around the time of the flowering cherry trees around Kyuoto.

So I have read...
Thanks! I'll have to see who offers that; sounds interesting.

For certain springtime Chado events, we're sometimes served sakura-cha prior to entering the tearoom. It's also called sakura-yu ("yu" meaning hot water)... it's just dried cherry blossoms in salt. You drink it out of a sencha-style cup.

Probably better to avoid it if you have high blood pressure :wink:

May 3rd, '08, 01:29

by Space Samurai » May 3rd, '08, 01:29

Today I had some dirt...I'm sorry, puerh from Vietnam, some da ye wuyi, and I'm finishing the evening with some fukamushi.

May 3rd, '08, 06:31

by henley » May 3rd, '08, 06:31

chamekke wrote:
Chip wrote: Sakura is a Spring tea made with cherry and/or cherry blossoms...
For certain springtime Chado events, we're sometimes served sakura-cha prior to entering the tearoom. It's also called sakura-yu ("yu" meaning hot water)... it's just dried cherry blossoms in salt. You drink it out of a sencha-style cup.

Probably better to avoid it if you have high blood pressure :wink:

I'd like to find some of this. It's very intriguing & pretty, too.

May 3rd, '08, 10:36

by CynTEAa » May 3rd, '08, 10:36

henley wrote:
CynTEAa wrote:
LavenderPekoe wrote:
Cinnamon Kitty wrote: <snip>I really did not like the Yunnan Gold at all. The smell of the dry leaves and the tea itself reminded me of the barn at the zoo with the musty hay and the sheep, pigs, goats, and llamas.
I have the same problem with this tea. I can't even have a brewed cup sitting on my desk...I actually don't even remember if I like the flavor, I couldn't get passed the hay smell at all.
It's funny. Sometimes I perceive the hay and sometimes I really don't. (No llamas though..) But I get how you can't get past something in a tea. Once there was a tea that just reminded me of a medicine I had as a child. It was a bestseller, too everyone loved it, but I just couldn't enjoy it. Sorry, ladies! But it means more Yunnan Gold for me! :twisted:
I have this same problem w/pu erh. Don't know that I could ever try it just because the cakes remind me of something I'd see at my FIL's farm out in the pasture.
You could try a loose pu erh. :) (Okay, I really just wanted to do one more quote :wink: )

May 3rd, '08, 14:38

by Chip » May 3rd, '08, 14:38

CynTEAa wrote:
henley wrote:
CynTEAa wrote:
LavenderPekoe wrote:
Cinnamon Kitty wrote: <snip>I really did not like the Yunnan Gold at all. The smell of the dry leaves and the tea itself reminded me of the barn at the zoo with the musty hay and the sheep, pigs, goats, and llamas.
I have the same problem with this tea. I can't even have a brewed cup sitting on my desk...I actually don't even remember if I like the flavor, I couldn't get passed the hay smell at all.
It's funny. Sometimes I perceive the hay and sometimes I really don't. (No llamas though..) But I get how you can't get past something in a tea. Once there was a tea that just reminded me of a medicine I had as a child. It was a bestseller, too everyone loved it, but I just couldn't enjoy it. Sorry, ladies! But it means more Yunnan Gold for me! :twisted:
I have this same problem w/pu erh. Don't know that I could ever try it just because the cakes remind me of something I'd see at my FIL's farm out in the pasture.
You could try a loose pu erh. :) (Okay, I really just wanted to do one more quote :wink: )
TeaChunnel...FTW...