Cinco de Mayo 2008

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Teasweetie asked how old were you when you had your first cup or taste of TEA?

Less than 3
19%
Less than 6
25%
Less than 9
11%
Less than 12
19%
Less than 15
7%
Less than 18
7%
Less than 24
7%
Less than 30
No votes
Less than 40
5%
Less than 50
No votes
Less than 60
No votes
60 or more señor ; )
No votes

Total votes: 57

May 5th, '08, 04:52
Scrolling: scrolling

Cinco de Mayo 2008

by Chip » May 5th, '08, 04:52

Yesterday, by a wide margin, responders indicated they spend more than 2 hours a day typically thinking about tea!!! You may still vote and discuss yesterday's topic!

Feliz Cinco de Mayo! Welcome everyone to TeaDay, Celebrate the day with many cups of tea...and share what you are drinking with everyone. Be sure to check out what is in everyone else's cup as well. If you need to, you can also reflect back on your TeaDay!

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is compliments of Teasweetie. She wondered when did you have your first cup or taste of tea. She also wondered what your impression was of that first cup. And, have you been drinking ever since? So, share with all of us your earliest TeaHistory! Have fun.

I will be celebrating Cinco de Mayo with lots of tea, how about you?

May 5th, '08, 05:05

by Terrasi » May 5th, '08, 05:05

I know I grew up drinking tea, bagged tea though. I, however, do not know if my mother gave me tea while I was younger than 3. I don't think addicting a child to caffeine at that age could end well.

After ordering some, I have decided that the flavor of mangoes and tea do not mix well.

May 5th, '08, 05:26

by Trey Winston » May 5th, '08, 05:26

I can't pinpoint exactly when I first tasted tea, but I'm pretty sure I was younger than nine. When I say tea, I mean the yellow bags of Lipton stuff with lots of sugar stirred in. It took me decades after that to discover loose leaf.

May 5th, '08, 07:08

by ThinkingOutLoud » May 5th, '08, 07:08

I'm from the South and we are weaned on shockingly sweet iced tea. I've been drinking tea, in some form or another, for as long as I can remember. Loose leaf tea didn't come until about five years ago.

This morning, Citron Green.

May 5th, '08, 08:34

by Beanbean » May 5th, '08, 08:34

It may be a New England thing but my mother used to give me cambric tea (mostly warm milk with a bit of tea and sugar) beginning when I was about 2 years old. I started giving my son the same thing at the same age. He is now nearly 10 years old and he is a veteran tea drinker.

I was originally concerned about the caffeine but then I started looking at the amount of chocolate milk and diet cola that others were giving to their children and I stopped worrying. Tea is much healthier no matter how you stack it up. Even with a half teaspoon of sugar per big mug full, it has a fraction of the sugar as any juice out there.

I have a pot of Golden Monkey brewing...

May 5th, '08, 08:48

by omegapd » May 5th, '08, 08:48

ThinkingOutLoud wrote:I'm from the South and we are weaned on shockingly sweet iced tea.
Me too. And you knew you were really "high cotton" when somebody splurged and added some sort of raspberry tasting stuff in it.

I'm sure by 5 years old I was downing the good iced stuff. Probably around 13 for the hot stuff, though.

EW

May 5th, '08, 09:00

by olivierco » May 5th, '08, 09:00

I was about 7 when I drank tea from the cup of my mother had from time to time.

This morning Yunnan Golden tips and sadly no tea until 6pm when I get home after work.

May 5th, '08, 09:21

by Salsero » May 5th, '08, 09:21

My mother gave me overbrewed Lipton tea when I was sick. Funny, she was almost falling in line behind centuries of Chinese medicine practitioners.

Down to the last couple pots of Yutaka Midori while waiting for Shincha. This bag has been open now for over 4 months.
The roses are Pink Pet and Louis Phillippe, both China class roses that tolerate N Florida's miserable heat and humidity. Up north it's the cold that kills plants; down here it's the heat!

May 5th, '08, 09:38

by witches brew » May 5th, '08, 09:38

Whatever age a child starts having tea parties for her teddy bears and plush rabbits, I was sharing weak, milky tea with my table of little friends. I guess I was four or five years old.

I didn't LIKE the flavor of tea throughout my childhood, but as a teen I received a gift of a tin of loose leaf tea (I thinkj it was Twinings Earl Grey) and an infuser spoon, started drinking it because all the cool kids did, and the rest was history.

Tea will always remind me of my monther. She always enjoyed a good cup (English style).
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

May 5th, '08, 10:02

by henley » May 5th, '08, 10:02

omegapd wrote:
ThinkingOutLoud wrote:I'm from the South and we are weaned on shockingly sweet iced tea.
Me too.
Same here. I can't remember not drinking sweet iced tea. At family gatherings, I have to dilute gma's iced tea so I don't get a cavity!

Didn't try hot tea til about 2-3 yrs ago when started having tea parties w/my little girl. I really got hooked last year & tried loose leaf last fall after finding TC & the rest is history. Can't decide if y'all are a good influence or bad... :wink:

Had yunnan gold w/bfast this morning. The jury is still out on whether or not I reorder.
------------------
And BTW, Sal, your pictures are incredible!!! I've meant to post about them previously. :oops: I'm not even into Asian style teaware but I'd buy your pics! You should put a calendar together or do something with them. They are too beautiful not to share!

May 5th, '08, 10:30

by GalileosDaughter » May 5th, '08, 10:30

One of my best friends' mother made tea with sugar syrup. Her tea was so supersaturated with sugar, I'm sure the addition of just one more grain of sugar would have turned it into a solid state.

Of course us kids loved it.

Today I'm drinking Assam Melody. Been thinking about having some kukicha this afternoon.

May 5th, '08, 10:33

by chamekke » May 5th, '08, 10:33

Knowing my mother, she would have given me a taste of weak tea as soon as I could manage it - certainly by the age of three!
Salsero wrote:Image
The roses are Pink Pet and Louis Phillippe, both China class roses that tolerate N Florida's miserable heat and humidity. Up north it's the cold that kills plants; down here it's the heat!
Your photos are really stunning, Salsero. Please keep posting them...

I actually thought at first that those roses were double-petalled Kwanzan cherry blossoms. My neighbourhood is filled with them at the moment:

May 5th, '08, 10:36

by TimeforTea » May 5th, '08, 10:36

I don't remember the exact age I had my first cup of tea, but it was definitely an overbrewed mug from a lipton tea bag with a couple of teaspoons of honey, when I was sick. I also drank a lot of store bought iced tea when I was a kid.

The first time I had loose tea was at a restaurant this past winter. It was chocolate mint, and it was devine! The first time I brewed my own loose tea was this past February--citron green.

This morning, tung ting was in my cup. I enjoyed this oolong very much, with the hint of floral taste it had. I'm eager to see what the second infusion tastes like. Have I finally found another oolong to enjoy??

***Sal***-your photos are beautiful! They look like paintings.

May 5th, '08, 10:48

by Salsero » May 5th, '08, 10:48

chamekke wrote:My neighbourhood is filled with them at the moment
/me likes your neighborhood!

May 5th, '08, 10:55

by henley » May 5th, '08, 10:55

chamekke wrote:I actually thought at first that those roses were double-petalled Kwanzan cherry blossoms. My neighbourhood is filled with them at the moment:
We have one of these trees in our yard. It's always stunning this time of year.