Seis de Mayo, 2008

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

What is your 2008 harvest order status?

What 2008 harvest order? : O
26%
I have preordered/ordered new harvest tea but still await delivery : (
14%
I have begun to receive my new harvest teas : P
33%
Other : /
28%

Total votes: 43

May 6th, '08, 12:33
Scrolling: scrolling

Seis de Mayo, 2008

by Chip » May 6th, '08, 12:33

EDIT: 2nd try... we are all fixed. Sorry to those who lost their posts today.

Yesterday, I was shocked to see how early in life many responders began to drink tea. I did not include the powdered iced tea mix w/ saccharin my mom used to make, and my first hot cup was not til I was around 20. Many TeaChatters had tea when they were less than 3. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic. The discussion was colorful, thanx in great part to sal's lovely and oft copied photo.

Yes, it is TeaDay again, welcome one and all. Please brew up some tea and share what is in your cup through out the day. Be sure to check out what other TeaChatters are brewing as well...speaking of which...this is an exciting time for many as they are receiving initiation into the world of Shincha, the subject of the day.

If you need to, remember, you can also reflect back on your TeaDay as well.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic comes back to an oft discussed subject as of late on TeaChat. Shincha, and other new harvest teas. I think more and more TeaChatters are experimenting with Japanese leaf. OOPS...going off on a rabbit trail. So, did you place an order for new harvest teas yet? Did you get them in? Share with us the status of your ordering and arrival of these once a year jewels.

In addition, if this is your first year ordering/receiving new harvest teas, tell us a little about your experience so far.

So, we have much to discuss today on TeaDay!!!!!

I am as always looking forward to hearing what is in your cup. Have a great TeaDay.

May 6th, '08, 12:51

by Mary R » May 6th, '08, 12:51

Hrm...we may be 'all fixed' but it looks like we lost all the previous messages in this thread.

Oh, the horrors!

May 6th, '08, 14:28

by olivierco » May 6th, '08, 14:28

Well, as I wrote in my previous message:

I ordered four darjeelings: I have one since a few weeks (Namring SFTGFOP1 from Mariage Frères) and the three others (Palais des thés) are at the post office waiting for me to get them tomorrow morning.
I ordered two shincha: Kaburagien at the post office wating with the darjeelings, a gyokuro package and a matcha tin. Kirameki (and a package of gyokuro) somewhere between Japan and my mailbox.
I will order one or two other shincha in a few days (O-cha Miyabi and ???)

I try not to order too many teas (less than last year anyway) because I bought some teabooks and teaware lately (and perhaps will buy some more soon).

This morning Keemun, sencha karigane with my lunch, Darjeeling Puttabong STFGFOP1 (2007 harvest) after work and now Sencha Kaburagien after dinner.

May 6th, '08, 14:32

by Salsero » May 6th, '08, 14:32

Yesterday’s photo brought upon my head an accusation of surrealism from a party who shall remain nameless, but whose estimation means everything to me. In a sincere effort to keep things real today and to maintain a sense of the decorum and proportion to which I know all TeaChatters constantly strive, I have opted not to photograph the shincha Fukamushi Supreme that arrived yesterday. It really is surreal.

Instead, I’m keeping it personal and real today by offering a candid snapshot of us guys who get together once in a while for tea and fellowship down here in Florida. You may recognize some of them a retired stars of the silver screen.

augie wrote:Well, I see you haven't carried out your threat/promise of nudity!
augie, at your request (henley, avert your eyes), I have included myself in this photo, naked as a Jay bird. I am the one behind the 45 ml/1.5 oz teapot. If you are wondering how such a steaming hunk of man can fit behind such a tiny teapot, I have just one word for you: Photoshop.

May 6th, '08, 14:45

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 6th, '08, 14:45

Trying this again! I got my order of Fukamushi Sencha Supreme yesterday and have been thoroughly enjoying it since then. I will be ordering more shincha teas, but I haven't decided which ones yet.

I brewed up some of the Fukamushi this morning and it is still yummy.

May 6th, '08, 14:58

by Chip » May 6th, '08, 14:58

Today was not a great start. TeaChat was down for hours overnight (routine maintenance, it said come back in one hour...riiiight). So, finally got on at 6 am, posted TD, and noticed all data from 4/21 to present was gone, notified who I had to...but figured at least TeaDay was live and several members were posting on it right away. I came back almost 6 hours later, the old data was back on...a very good thing, but today's TeaDay was gone along with members's morning posts.

Also gone was my morning's vote that I had not received my Shincha yet!

BUT...I have shincha now!!! Clearly, the world had a hiccup til the shincha was dropped between my doors.

Drinking my first shincha of 2008, Hatsumi. More on this later...but I must savor the moment.

May 6th, '08, 15:18

by henley » May 6th, '08, 15:18

Had oolong #8 w/bfast this morning. This is becoming my "go to" tea when I can't decide what to fix.
Chip wrote:BUT...I have shincha now!!! Clearly, the world had a hiccup til the shincha was dropped between my doors.

Drinking my first shincha of 2008, Hatsumi. More on this later...but I must savor the moment.
Yet another collective sigh of relief as Chip FINALLY has his tea! You've waited long enough... go enjoy! :D
Salsero wrote:augie, at your request (henley, avert your eyes), I have included myself in this photo, naked as a Jay bird. I am the one behind the 45 ml/1.5 oz teapot.
Dear Sal, Thank you for protecting my virgin eyes. :oops: :lol:

*scratches head & ponders* Now if I could just figure out how my two kids got here... :wink:

May 6th, '08, 15:50

by Chip » May 6th, '08, 15:50

Also from 2008, a Nilgiri black from Fence arrived.

Still enjoying my first session of Hatsumi
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 6th, '08, 16:14

by Salsero » May 6th, '08, 16:14

Chip wrote:Still enjoying my first session of Hatsumi
I am so happy for you!

May 6th, '08, 16:18

by RussianSoul » May 6th, '08, 16:18

Chip wrote:Drinking my first shincha of 2008, Hatsumi. More on this later...but I must savor the moment.
Happy for you, Chip! :D

Do post tasting notes when you finish savoring and begin to bask in caffeine glow.

May 6th, '08, 16:32

by olivierco » May 6th, '08, 16:32

A Rooibos to end the day.

Tomorrow should be a new harvest day for me: two shincha and three darjeelings.

May 6th, '08, 17:26

by auggy » May 6th, '08, 17:26

Hmm, apparently I miss all the fun.

I've ordered stuff, but nothing shincha. Was finding more non-shincha I wanted to try that shincha so I figured what the heck and just ordered what I wanted, shincha or not. Next year, I'll go nuts. :wink:

Uh, a magnolia tea from a tea room near my parents this morning. Right now drinking an iced jasmine green. Not sure what I'll have tonight. My oolongs are all but gone and my greens are following right behind. Need my order. Now.

Though I think I'll be getting it tomorrow. Sigh.

May 6th, '08, 17:34

by Victoria » May 6th, '08, 17:34

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic comes back to an oft discussed subject as of late on TeaChat. Shincha, and other new harvest teas. I think more and more TeaChatters are experimenting with Japanese leaf.
Well I guess I am in with "other new harvest teas" as I have a few new spring oolongs.

I had a nice red tea from Jing this morning - I don't remember the name now.

Now I am enjoying a 2nd brew of Nilgiri.

Chip, may I join the throngs in congratulating you on your shincha arrival!
Yay!

May 6th, '08, 17:36

by Jade Flower » May 6th, '08, 17:36

I haven't ordered anything from 2008 harvest yet... I usually prefer my darjeelings iced and it is not hot enough for them.
Started my day with Formosa oolong and migrated to Silver Needle in the afternoon, I'm on the third steeping right now and it's still good. Looks like I could've maid at least one more if I hadn't discarded the leaves... :?

May 6th, '08, 17:54

by tenuki » May 6th, '08, 17:54

Harvest hasn't started yet, what are you talking about? ;P
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )