Siete de Mayo, 2008

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

OOLONG, seems most TeaChatters have dabbled in oolong. "Name" your oolong style?

"Greenlong," lightly oxidized
40%
"Pu-long," earthy, woody
8%
"Blacklong," highly oxidized and/or fired, sometimes fruity/peachy
26%
"Pomlong," flavors are your thing
4%
Other or none
22%

Total votes: 50

May 7th, '08, 11:26

by auggy » May 7th, '08, 11:26

I tend towards the greener oolongs. But then I tend to prefer the lighter and sweeter flavors for any type of tea, so I guess that makes sense.

Sadly, I'm almost out of oolong at home. I have about 4 cups left of a darker oolong that's not my favorite and about that much of an orange oolong. I need to order more.

Not having a great week this week so I just didn't feel like making tea this morning, even though I had some coconut out. Had some dragonwell last night and it just didn't taste right. More my current mood than a problem with the tea, though. Kind of thinking it will be that way tonight, too. But I have some tea that should arrive today so hopefully that'll encourage me some.

May 7th, '08, 11:35

by olivierco » May 7th, '08, 11:35

Matcha from Kaburagien (1500Y for 30g).
I wanted to prepare it as koicha, but I added too much water, so the result was between koicha and usacha. A little astringency (perhaps due to my approximate brewing).
It needs a retest, but my first impression is that it isn't as good as Ippodo's Wakamatsu-no-mukashi (which costs 50% more)

May 7th, '08, 11:44

by TimeforTea » May 7th, '08, 11:44

"Greenlong" is definitely my style of oolong. My favorites so far are Jasmine pearls, tung ting, and jade oolong. I also just placed an adagio order that included something different: samples of oolong #8 and oolong #40.

This morning, no oolong in my cup. I'm trying to get through my sample tins. I finished up my sample of white monkey.

On its way in the mail are a pair of bodum pavina 9-ounce double-wall thermo glasses...all the better to use with oolong tea!

So much for green tea. This is all your fault, Victoria! :wink:

May 7th, '08, 11:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 7th, '08, 11:57

Teasweetie wrote:"Greenlong" is definitely my style of oolong. My favorites so far are Jasmine pearls, tung ting, and jade oolong. I also just placed an adagio order that included something different: samples of oolong #8 and oolong #40.

This morning, no oolong in my cup. I'm trying to get through my sample tins. I finished up my sample of white monkey.

On its way in the mail are a pair of bodum pavina 9-ounce double-wall thermo glasses...all the better to use with oolong tea!

So much for green tea. This is all your fault, Victoria! :wink:
You're welcome! :wink:

May 7th, '08, 12:40

by Chip » May 7th, '08, 12:40

Victoria wrote:!!YAY OOLONG!!

I like all kinds but lean toward GREEN. Oolongs definitely have it all going on!

Not big on flavored ones though - except that one lovely orange blossom blend as omegapd pointed out.

Chip, your made up oolong names is going to keep Google happy for awhile.
My goal has been to break google with TeaNames. Has not worked. If I can't beat 'em....

TeaGoogle, GoogleTea, GoogleLong........

Busy...no time to play with my friends.

Hatsumi shincha...need to use some TeaScience, not quite nailing it yet. Too rushed maybe.

Definitely a GreenLong fan. I almost give up on darker ones since 3 out of 4 that I try do not do it for me. But the one out of 4 can be awesome.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 7th, '08, 12:40

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 7th, '08, 12:40

I will definitely have to go with "Blacklong." I've fallen for the toasty, sweet flavor of the darker oolongs. I tried the greens and didn't care for them too much. I've never tried the "Pu-longs" and the only flavored one that I have had is Peach.

This thread made it very easy to grab the sample tin of Oolong #8 to make my morning tea with. Somehow, the free sample ends up being a favorite over the other samples that I ordered.

May 7th, '08, 13:44

by jogrebe » May 7th, '08, 13:44

Salsero wrote:Rudbeckia from the front yard and Dong Ding from Taiwan. I love the look of tea in glass. Image
Your tea photography is very impressive Salsero. Have you considered doing something like starting a tea of the day photo blog or even publishing a "coffee table" tea photography book? I see both of those having the potential of being very popular if you were do to so. As honestly at times looking for your photo of the day has been the main reason why I've bothered to check out teachat on some days.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

May 7th, '08, 13:49

by RussianSoul » May 7th, '08, 13:49

GreenLong for me! :D

I tried a few dark ones, and they are interesting, but not something I want to return to when I have a tea-craving. The only flavored I tried is Peach. I liked it enough, but now am bored with it, just like I get bored with flavored teas in general. Never tried anything PuLong. What is it anyway?

Finished my yesterday's Rishi's Silver Needle. I love it, it is bound to become a permanent tea my cabinet. Drinking guricha at the moment... Waiting for shincha...

May 7th, '08, 13:49

by jogrebe » May 7th, '08, 13:49

Even though I've never heard of "Pu-long" before as a clever way to refer to puerh I just have to go with that one. So far my tea of the day has been some loose gongtin puerh of unknown vintage that I received as part of a previous tea trade.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

May 7th, '08, 13:52

by scotty X » May 7th, '08, 13:52

once again i'll bow down to master tenuki's conciseness - between that and sal's picture there's nothing much left to say. i've only had a lonely thiashola nilgiri this morning, so hopefully the afternoon will see some increased tea intake.

May 7th, '08, 13:55

by Salsero » May 7th, '08, 13:55

scotty X wrote:a lonely thiashola nilgiri this morning
Mmm, what was that like? I have only had one Nilgiri and it was interesting enough to make me wonder about the others.

May 7th, '08, 14:06

by henley » May 7th, '08, 14:06

Blacklong got my vote. The darker oolongs have a rich flavor similar to black tea but w/o the astringent taste I dislike. I'm still experimenting & trying new ones but so far my favorites are Adagio's oolong #8 & #40. Got to have my occassional "pomlong", though. :wink: And I'm looking forward to receiving my order of orange blossom oolong that everyone's raved about.

Despite today's discussion being on oolongs, started the day w/vanilla mint black tea. It was one of my first favorites & is like sitting down w/an old friend.

-------------
Salsero wrote:...naked as a Jay bird.

BTW, hubby was watching CNN Headline News at lunch today & one of the stories was on a naked man that fell out of a tree. Are you okay, Sal? :twisted: :wink:

May 7th, '08, 14:53

by henley » May 7th, '08, 14:53

jogrebe wrote: Your tea photography is very impressive Salsero. Have you considered doing something like starting a tea of the day photo blog or even publishing a "coffee table" tea photography book? I see both of those having the potential of being very popular if you were do to so.
Your pics are fabulous & you really should do something with them. When you first starting posting the pics, I thought they were copied from a tea catalog rather than photos you had taken. Thanx for sharing them with us! (See, I'm not always wicked! :wink: )

May 7th, '08, 15:17

by chamekke » May 7th, '08, 15:17

jogrebe wrote:
Salsero wrote:Rudbeckia from the front yard and Dong Ding from Taiwan. I love the look of tea in glass. Image
Your tea photography is very impressive Salsero. Have you considered doing something like starting a tea of the day photo blog or even publishing a "coffee table" tea photography book? I see both of those having the potential of being very popular if you were do to so. As honestly at times looking for your photo of the day has been the main reason why I've bothered to check out teachat on some days.
Sal, I agree - your photographs are phemonenal, and I only wish they were gathered into one place for our continued enjoyment! The quality is just stunning.

Today I voted for green oolongs, although as it happens I'm currently working my way through the Oolong #8 that came with my ingenuiTEA teapot. Nice... but I do prefer the greener tastes on the whole.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

May 7th, '08, 15:49

by Jagori » May 7th, '08, 15:49

I've only had two oolongs, and I really like both of them. My favorite is one that someone gave to me, saying "I don't really like Chinese tea." The package has no English on it, but the characters on the front read "guan yin wang" which gives me the impression it's supposed to be some sort of high-end TGY, and I think the taste backs that up (not that I'd really know what an especially good or bad TGY tastes like).

I forgot to bring it to work today, though, so in my cup is 2003 Keyixing.