THURSDAY TeaDay 5/15/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

When selecting a Tea vendor, how much of an emphasis do you place on price?

Price is the number one consideration when selecting a vendor
4%
Price is a high consideration when selecting a vendor
32%
Price is a consideration when selecting a vendor
40%
Price is of minor consideration when selecting a vendor
14%
Price is not a consideration when selecting a vendor
11%

Total votes: 57

May 15th, '08, 04:00
Scrolling: scrolling

THURSDAY TeaDay 5/15/08

by Chip » May 15th, '08, 04:00

Yesterday TeaChatters were asked, "What is the one positively worst tea you have ever had?" The number one answer was a flavored or scented tea. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic!

Welcome everyone to another TeaDay. Brew some brew and come share what is in your cup today, all day. Come back often to see what everyone else is sipping as well. If you need to, you can also reflect back on your TeaDay!

Today's TeaPoll is all about PRICE. How much emphasis do you place upon price when you select a TeaVendor? Share with us your thoughts on this costly topic. I suspect this will be an interesting discussion. Have fun!

I am looking forward to hearing what is in everyone's cup today. Bottoms up...refill!!!

May 15th, '08, 04:48

by Salsero » May 15th, '08, 04:48

Japanese Fukamushi Supreme Sencha in a Chinese glass gaiwan. It looks as unnatural as it sounds. I wasn’t able to ID the wildflowers. As you can see, today I do have a little visitor for the extra cup.
For those who missed it, I filed a report about the Spring meeting that occurred between yours truly and EvenOdd a couple months ago. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=41382#41382

May 15th, '08, 04:55

by Terrasi » May 15th, '08, 04:55

I'd rather have a good tea for an understandable price than a bad tea for a cheap price. For the most part, if I can't afford a good quality tea on my budget, I don't buy a bad tea. There's always a budget alternative.

May 15th, '08, 05:12

by omegapd » May 15th, '08, 05:12

Thankfully, since I don't get into the higher priced Oolongs, greens, Darjeelings, etc. it's of minor consideration to me when buying tea. I do like to find unique and somewhat odd teas, though, and when I find them, I do consider the price. If I can buy a pound of my regular tea for the price of an ounce of the "special" tea, I normally don't buy the special tea.

Of course all that can change when my birthday is around the corner or I get an economic stimulus check. :wink:

Brewing up some Adagio Apricot Green this morning at work. I think once all my greens are gone, I'm going to finally splurge and buy an electric kettle for the office and go back to blacks full time. Right now, they just taste crummy with microwave water or coffee maker water.

EW

May 15th, '08, 05:56

by olivierco » May 15th, '08, 05:56

Price is a high consideration when selecting a vendor. At least when I order for the first time.
I don't believe in low prices. If you want some quality, you have to pay for it.

This morning keemun and now some houjicha karigane with my lunch.

May 15th, '08, 06:19

by ThinkingOutLoud » May 15th, '08, 06:19

Right now, I have to say that price is not a consideration. I don't really shop around, as you guys do. I'm slowly working my way through Adagio's offerings. I figure that they have so much to offer that I haven't explored that I don't need to branch out much at this point. Once I've made my way through their selection, I can find another vendor to explore. I do buy some from local vendors, though the selection around here is dodgy at best.

Citron Green this morning. I'll have to switch to some black here soon.

May 15th, '08, 06:36

by augie » May 15th, '08, 06:36

Salsero wrote:Japanese Fukamushi Supreme Sencha in a Chinese glass gaiwan. It looks as unnatural as it sounds. I wasn’t able to ID the wildflowers. As you can see, today I do have a little visitor for the extra cup.
That cup alakazam is drinking from is awesome! Where did you get that? (Have I drooled over this one before?) I have sworn off teaware for a while. I bought another gaiwan I didn't need and went to wash it for the first time and there is a sticker on the bottom that says "for ornamental purposes only" -- probably because the red paint on the outside is lead (I'm guessing).

Like teaware, price is a consideration for tea. If I see a vendor that seems expensive I wait to see what everyone on this forum says as to whether it's worth it or not. You do get what you pay for -- and you can also pay too much!

May 15th, '08, 07:07

by chrl42 » May 15th, '08, 07:07

To me, price is high consideration. My emphasis is this, a seller who sets much higher price then it deserves is not a righteous seller. Therefore, I don't expect righteous teas from them.

May 15th, '08, 07:37

by Carnelian » May 15th, '08, 07:37

Price is high priority, but not as high as the trustworthiness of the vendor. I'd rather pay more for my tea than pay less to a sketchy site or store with even less trustworthy tea.

I sadly will have little time for tea today, I go from school to work and from work to my last band concert in my high school career (senior year is depressing). So unless I have time to get an iced tea before work (I work at a daycare center, no hot beverages allowed) I will be tealess until about 9:00 tonight when the concert is over.

May 15th, '08, 09:00

by Salsero » May 15th, '08, 09:00

augie wrote:That cup alakazam is drinking from is awesome! Where did you get that?
The little cup is one of 21 all different, cast-off cups that I bought from MarshalN on ebay. He acquired all of them in either Hong Kong or Beijing. It holds 1.5 oz filled right to the brim, and is definitely not just ornamental. I use it for gong fu when alakazam is not drinking from it.

May 15th, '08, 09:38

by auggy » May 15th, '08, 09:38

Morning all!

Price isn't a big consideration for me. Ultimately, even expensive tea is generally not that expensive and even cheap tea can be really good. I probably should pay a little more attention to price. Then maybe I could make a tea order that was less than 70 bucks.

Speaking of tea order, my Adagio order is scheduled to arrive today. I actually had a dream last night that I got it. I dreamed about opening the package and rooting around to "play" with all my new teas. :oops:

Hojicha for me this morning. DH didn't like it that much last time, so this time requested that I add milk to his. Don't know exactly why, but just the thought of this seems icky to me. Haven't had a chance to see how he liked it yet. But hey, to each his own, right?

May 15th, '08, 09:40

by Victoria » May 15th, '08, 09:40

Price is not a consideration when selecting a vendor for me. This is the one I chose but I think more clearly I would say, price is not a consideration when selecting a tea. I'm not sure I "select" a vendor by price. If a high priced, high quality oolong is there, I will purchase it. If everything seems high priced, I won't look around much.

This morning's brew - Keemun

Have a nice day everyone!

May 15th, '08, 10:23

by henley » May 15th, '08, 10:23

Price isn't an issue as I'm still discovering which teas I like. Once I find something I really enjoy, I don't mind paying for it. I'm just thankful for samples & TeaFriends otherwise I could've wasted a lot of money! :D

Okay, Sal. The following is all your fault. Bfast just looked too pretty this morning not to share. It's not a professional shot but still thought it turned out pretty good.

In the cup is oolong #8 mixed equally w/orange blossom oolong. It gave it a lighter flavor (kinda what you were talking about yesterday, TOL) perfect for spring & summer.
Last edited by henley on May 15th, '08, 10:37, edited 2 times in total.

May 15th, '08, 10:28

by ThinkingOutLoud » May 15th, '08, 10:28

Henley! What a lovely pic!!! I need to be at your house for breakfast, Super Mom ....

May 15th, '08, 10:42

Wowsers!

by Salsero » May 15th, '08, 10:42

henley wrote:Okay, Sal. The following is all your fault.
Oh, Henley, I will take full responsibility.

Your breakfast portrait is sooooo beautiful! Course, I'm a big sucker for lavendar ... and for food. What kind of flower is that? Wisteria??? The real one I mean. It matches the one on the pot perfectly. Life in your house must be like a dream! (at least breakfast)

Thanks so much for taking the time and sharing.