monday TEADAY 5/19/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Do you buy tea mostly from...?

Domestic Vendors, from my country
57%
International Vendors, from country of teas' origins
37%
Other
7%

Total votes: 60

May 19th, '08, 23:35

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 19th, '08, 23:35

I am chiming in a bit late after a busy day. This far in my online tea order, I've ordered from a few domestic vendors and only one international one. I like to sample teas so as long as I can understand the language on the site, the shipping is reasonable, and the reputation is good, I am willing to try the vendor in most cases.

Today was busy, but in a good way so my tea consumption was at minimum. I started off with a mug of White Peach for breakfast, but spent the rest of the day shopping with my mother so I didn't have time for any other tea until now. The shopping was a lot of fun and it was nice to spend some quality time with Mom after being away at college.

Yesterday, I had a much better day in respect to tea. We had my grandparents and aunt and uncle over for dinner. Everyone else wanted coffee while we waited for things to finish cooking so I decided to brew up a small pot of Sakura Sencha for myself. To my surprise, my grandfather asked for a cup of it too. I had forgotten that he was a hot tea drinker, though he hasn't gotten beyond bagged teas. Later on when we ate dinner, he requested an oolong so I made a pot of White Tip Oolong for the two of us. It made my night to be able to share my teas with him.

Now, I am finishing up my evening with Vanilla Rooibos.

May 19th, '08, 23:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 19th, '08, 23:39

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:Yesterday, I had a much better day in respect to tea. We had my grandparents and aunt and uncle over for dinner. Everyone else wanted coffee while we waited for things to finish cooking so I decided to brew up a small pot of Sakura Sencha for myself. To my surprise, my grandfather asked for a cup of it too. I had forgotten that he was a hot tea drinker, though he hasn't gotten beyond bagged teas. Later on when we ate dinner, he requested an oolong so I made a pot of White Tip Oolong for the two of us. It made my night to be able to share my teas with him.
Wow, that is sooooo cool. A memory you will cherish no doubt.

May 19th, '08, 23:52

by Chip » May 19th, '08, 23:52

Victoria wrote:
Cinnamon Kitty wrote:Yesterday, I had a much better day in respect to tea. We had my grandparents and aunt and uncle over for dinner. Everyone else wanted coffee while we waited for things to finish cooking so I decided to brew up a small pot of Sakura Sencha for myself. To my surprise, my grandfather asked for a cup of it too. I had forgotten that he was a hot tea drinker, though he hasn't gotten beyond bagged teas. Later on when we ate dinner, he requested an oolong so I made a pot of White Tip Oolong for the two of us. It made my night to be able to share my teas with him.
Wow, that is sooooo cool. A memory you will cherish no doubt.
Awwwwwww, sweeeet! :)
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 20th, '08, 00:08

by Salsero » May 20th, '08, 00:08

Cinnamon Kitty wrote:I made a pot of White Tip Oolong for the two of us. It made my night to be able to share my teas with him.
Thanks for sharing the moment with us, C K, and this tea was perfect to serve on Victoria Day, since it was the current monarch, Elizabeth II, who gave Bai Hao its traditional English name, Oriental Beauty.

May 20th, '08, 00:39

by chamekke » May 20th, '08, 00:39

Behold the Magnolia floopsii var. inferiorus:

I may need to go into Wikipedia and add a paragraph about that floopsiness. It must be an effect of the bitter arctic winds.

May 20th, '08, 00:51

by Salsero » May 20th, '08, 00:51

chamekke wrote:Behold the Magnolia floopsii var. inferiorus
It's gorgeous!

* Note to self: Never make technical jokes with a technical writer. They will one-up you faster than jack robinson.

May 20th, '08, 02:29

by chamekke » May 20th, '08, 02:29

Seriously, I did think your magnolia was stunning. I have never seen one like it in real life...

It actually reminded me a lot of how camellias are depicted in traditional Japanese art:

Image Image Image

May 20th, '08, 02:32

by bi lew chun » May 20th, '08, 02:32

I buy from both. Country of teas' origin vendors vary incredibly on shipping time; my shincha order from O-Cha got to me in four days, while an order I placed back in mid-April from a Chinese vendor still hasn't arrived yet--and it was supposed to be 10-14 day shipping (!).

In my cup is a Vietnamese oolong, and it is yummy. It made the inside of my makeshift gaiwan smell exactly like instant lemon iced tea powder, and then went on to taste like graham crackers, oats and lemons.

May 20th, '08, 04:46

by henley » May 20th, '08, 04:46

Cinnamon Kitty wrote: It made my night to be able to share my teas with him.
Thanx for sharing such a touching story. No doubt this will be a memory you'll treasure forever.
Katrina wrote:Henley - Love the avatar. Made me laugh. You must have really had a great time last weekend. So glad!
Thanx! I snuck my camera into the concert. Pic quality is not that great but it was a much needed good time. :wink: