Hello - and tea obsession

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

May 19th, '08, 23:44

Hello - and tea obsession

by TeaStarter » May 19th, '08, 23:44

Hi everybody!

Apart from this being just another intro, I would like to find out something along the way.

What is it about tea that makes us want to convert other people to better teas?

I've just started into green teas(and *LOVE* them now, btw), but yet I strongly want to convert my family into being tea connoisseurs - whether black or green. For instance, my dad tends to drink coffee and a lot of Lipton iced tea(black), but I have this strong urge(and/or obsession) to get him into liking especially green teas, or at least a quality black tea..
Why is that?

Is it the caffeine, the 'ritual' of making a good green/black tea, the 'snobby' feeling of going for better tasting teas, or what???

What is it about tea that seems to make many of us want to make many more 'pod' people?!?
:twisted:
I love starting fires in my fire pit. But for this particular moment in time, I feel like starting up some tea!

May 20th, '08, 00:26

by Space Samurai » May 20th, '08, 00:26

I think its just human nature.

May 20th, '08, 00:31
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 20th, '08, 00:31

Hi and welcome! I think it is because we see how great and how much improved the taste is and want to share. And we wish someone had told us sooner!

Welcome!
Victoria

May 20th, '08, 00:44

by scruffmcgruff » May 20th, '08, 00:44

Welcome to TeaChat!

I really don't try to convert people, actually. Most people my age (low 20s) fall into one of two categories: 1. People who aren't interested in cultivating/refining their tastes, and 2. People who would only do it to feel and brag about being more cultured/worldly. I'm not interested in teaching either group.

May 20th, '08, 01:00

by Cinnamon Kitty » May 20th, '08, 01:00

Welcome!

I really don't try to convert people to tea, but I will introduce them to some of the better quality loose teas if they enjoy teabag tea.

May 20th, '08, 02:23

by chamekke » May 20th, '08, 02:23

Tea is more inherently convivial than coffee or other drinks.

There is a whole sociable "vibe" involved with putting on the kettle for tea, or sitting around a teapot with friends. It's the drink of friendliness. At least, that's how our culture thinks of it. Perhaps it has to do with the idea of brewing and waiting; it demands that we slow down and relax.

Coffee is the lubricant of capitalism... it's atomistic, solitary, and gulped as often as it is savoured. People don't share a pot of coffee the way that they do tea. The office coffee pot isn't personal; it's always on, and always ready for a quick pour. There's precious little involved in terms of a ritual of preparing or serving it, and little genuine anticipation, either.

There's also something about tea's infinite variety that prompts me to share tea discoveries with other people. Sometimes they love the tea as much as I do (and sometimes they don't); but either way, most people are genuinely delighted to give a new tea a try.

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on."
- Billy Connolly

May 20th, '08, 02:51

by PolyhymnianMuse » May 20th, '08, 02:51

chamekke wrote:There's also something about tea's infinite variety that prompts me to share tea discoveries with other people. Sometimes they love the tea as much as I do (and sometimes they don't); but either way, most people are genuinely delighted to give a new tea a try.
I think that's what it comes down to really... We love to share tea because of the very fact that it is such a wonderful thing to be shared. There is a whole world within tea itself once you gather the courage to journey into it :wink:

May 20th, '08, 03:17

by Chip » May 20th, '08, 03:17

Welcome TeaStarter to TeaChat! Be sure to share what is in your cup by clicking here for TeaDay

Make tea, not war...think how many wars could be avoided if we just sat down and prepared tea for each other.

May 20th, '08, 04:58

by Beidao » May 20th, '08, 04:58

Zen koan for you: If there was a war between the greens and the blacks, which side would the oolongs fight on?

At the place where I work, we sit down for tea and coffee if we have time, and talk about what's going on. It's very special moments because otherwise there's so much stress. So coffee can surely be a social act too.

I introduce people to teas because I love tea and I want other people to share my experience. Loose quality tea is special because so few people drink it, most have crap bags. It makes the gift even more precious. "Look what I've found!"

I introduced one of my friends to Pai Mu Tan, steeped it several times, showed the smell of the leaves and the smell of the tea. It was so fun to talk and hear things I'd never thought about, along with the "wow!" of a first time experiencer. "Hey, this second steeping is different!"
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 20th, '08, 06:30

Re: Hello - and tea obsession

by olivierco » May 20th, '08, 06:30

TeaStarter wrote:
What is it about tea that makes us want to convert other people to better teas?
I would add to all that has been already answered that sometimes you just need to prove to people you are not that crazy to spend a great deal of time and money on tea, teaware and teabooks.

May 20th, '08, 09:14

by hop_goblin » May 20th, '08, 09:14

Welcome!

May 22nd, '08, 01:52

by TeaStarter » May 22nd, '08, 01:52

Wow! Some very interesting thoughts. I had to ponder them for a bit.

I think in my case, Victoria has it right. At least for explaining my recent habit. Before I started taste testing various samples, I didn't think there would be much difference in teas - especially teas of the same type (i.e. green). Holy crap! Was I wrong! :shock:

Olivierco has a good point too, since I'm lining up an order that has been racked up to ~$96 with various samples and ones that I found to like from the first order. Have to justify that craziness somehow!

So far, my absolute favorites are Pi Lo Chun(ZG92) and Lung Ching(ZG71) from Upton. Some exquisite sweetness in those two. The only problem is that I can only get about 1 steeping from the Pi Lo Chun.. With the Dragonwell, I can about 4 steepings.

OTOH, I'm just starting out - so there could always be better out there - don't know yet.
I love starting fires in my fire pit. But for this particular moment in time, I feel like starting up some tea!

+ Post Reply