what are the best tea places in new york city to visit ?

Learn about tea-related establishments open across the world.

what are the best tea places in new york city to visit ?

Postby insanitylater » May 20th, '08, 14:58

so far ito-en and amai tea & bakehouse are on my list

http://www.itoen.com/
http://www.amainyc.com/
insanitylater

Postby witches brew » May 20th, '08, 16:02

There's Minamoto Kitchoan for tea sweets (wagashi). They are on 5th ave around 49th, I think.

Cheap everyday teaware, Pearl River Mart on Broadway in SoHo.

Books on tea, Kinokuniya Books, 6th ave opposite Bryant Park.

Have you been to the japanese marketplace in Edgewater, NJ? Is there anything of interest to the tea enthusiast?
witches brew

Postby xine » May 20th, '08, 16:53

amai, amai, amai. I can't say it anymore. You will leave very fufilled and satisfied.

Tafu just opened up a US location in NYC in the Doubletree hotel on Lexington-
http://www.tafuny.com/concept.html. I tasted their Japanese teas and treats at the coffee and tea festival, and they were quite good.

I've heard of that shopping plaza, Witches Brew, but never have been. There are plenty of Asian food marts by me, but it would be interesting to go there since they are mostly Japanese foods. Their website looks ridiculous, so maybe one dya I will venture out (though I really really hate driving in edgewater and hoboken).

Chopsticks NY magazine is a good source for japanese food, which is off topic, but if anything has some ads and listings for tea rooms, japanese stores and what not.
xine

Postby Pentox » May 20th, '08, 17:07

Ah man, don't remind me of amai, you're gonna make me want to order more of them. And it's freaking expensive to get them shipped here.
Pentox

Postby insanitylater » May 20th, '08, 17:47

i like that amai lists all the vendors they get their loose tea from
insanitylater

Postby charizzi » May 20th, '08, 21:57

I've been to Witches Brew twice since I attend school closeby, but its about a 45 min drive from Manhattan since there is a considerable amount of traffic on the Long Island highways. Its fairly big and they have comfortable chairs in there. Its a great place to hang out with a friend.

I've been to Alice's Tea Cup once and my sister loves the place. They serve food and have a big menu of teas. :)
charizzi

Postby chingwa » Nov 22nd, '08, 12:07

Noone mentioned Cha-An? It isn't a shop, but is the perfect little spot for a short respite from the city... a little temple of calm :) they have decent foods, desserts and teas, but it's mostly about the atmosphere.
chingwa

Instant Messenger

Permissions