friday TEADAY 5/23/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Our topic a few days ago has me wondering, how many TeaChatters like Sushi...with their tea?

I love sushi, preferably with tea
29%
I love sushi
21%
I like sushi
21%
I will eat sushi but am rather indifferent about it
7%
I do not like sushi
9%
I would eat spent tea leaves from last week before I would eat sushi
5%
Other
9%

Total votes: 58

May 23rd, '08, 03:24
Scrolling: scrolling

friday TEADAY 5/23/08

by Chip » May 23rd, '08, 03:24

Yesterday 2 out of 3 TeaChatters indicated that their avatar had a significant meaning. The discussion was really quite interesting. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

WELCOME...it is Friday!!! So welcome one and all to TeaDay, brew lots of tea and come share what is in your cup today, all day! Be sure to check out what fellow TeaChatters are drinking as well. If you need to, you can reflect back on your TeaDay.

After our food discussion the other day, I began to wonder about one type, sushi! I wonder how many TeaChatters enjoyed sushi. Please remember, sushi can be completely vegetarian or include seafood...well, the variety is actually endless. The common components are rice and nori. So, who wants sushi...and with or without tea?

I am looking forward to seeing everyone on TeaDay. Bottoms up...refill...repeat.
Last edited by Chip on May 23rd, '08, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.

May 23rd, '08, 03:37

by tenuki » May 23rd, '08, 03:37

FP.

80s Lincang Jia Ji Yinhao toucha from FLT. mmmn, good stuff, must be on my 10th infusion by now, been drinking it since this afternoon, just reduced the amount of water and it popped from good to excellent. I probably need more leaf next time I tend to be a bit conservative with aged teas at first. This was the first brew with this toucha and I am getting to know it. I'm already quite fond.

[edit] I'm on my last infusion of this tonight, gonna end by cold brew it in the fridge for brunch tomorrow. It has a very pleasant Qi, calming, focusing, yet subtly exhilerating. The Qi is peaking just as the tea is fading, woot for powerful dreaming tonight![/edit]

note: this picture is of Puershop's late 90s offering, mine is from the early 80s but looks identical. You can get the 2007 version of this at puerhshop (also looks identical) for 3 bucks and wait 25 years to see if it's any good. :D
Last edited by tenuki on May 23rd, '08, 04:58, edited 13 times in total.

May 23rd, '08, 03:37

by omegapd » May 23rd, '08, 03:37

The local Chinese places around here don't have much of a selection and what I've tried, I didn't like.

Got a wonderful package yesterday from a Tea Chatter with some excellent black tea samples- one being Floating Leaves Tea Black Spiral. It is the most interesting tasting black tea I've ever had...Here's the description from the webpage:

Black Spiral

A black tea like no other. This very special tea is made from the same plants as the famous green tea Bi Luo Chun (Green Spiral Spring). Bi Luo Chun is made only from the first spring flush. This tea farmer decided to process his summer flush as a black tea and the result is stunning. Refreshing, with a flavor like no other black tea. The tiny leaves of this varietal are so small that it takes nearly 20,000 leaf sets to make a pound of tea. Fully hand-processed, this tea is sure to impress.

So, that's what is in my cup again this morning...

EW

May 23rd, '08, 03:40

by omegapd » May 23rd, '08, 03:40

Hey Tenuki,

What are the odds that at 0337 EST we'd both be drinking tea from the same company? :lol:

May 23rd, '08, 03:45

by tenuki » May 23rd, '08, 03:45

omegapd wrote: Floating Leaves Tea Black Spiral. It is the most interesting tasting black tea I've ever had.
Count on Shiuwen to find the truely special teas. :D

On a side note:

I was at FLT last night and had the opportunity to join her in sampling the early wave of this spring's gao shan harvest, I tried a unique Baozhong she was considering and three very good Alishans. It was amazing to taste buyer style with an expert and 3 very good examples of Alishan fresh from the farmer. Truly a special experience. It's still amazing to me how good teas can sit in hot water for an hour+ and not get overly bitter or astringent.

There were several tea geeks who trickled in near the end, one whom brought two samples of his own tea that he had just made for us to taste, both from his one bush. One he prepared in rolled oolong style, but the leaves were too small/tender to respond to the rolling well, not a good tea but quite interesting. The green chinese style actually had a few moments around the third pouring, but was fairly weak. Another guy who grows/makes his own tea was there tasting with us and a lively discussion of different processing options and ideas insued. Great times and awesome teas!
omegapd wrote:Hey Tenuki,

What are the odds that at 0337 EST we'd both be drinking tea from the same company? :lol:
Pretty good if you are drinking something from FLT. ;)
Last edited by tenuki on May 23rd, '08, 03:52, edited 3 times in total.

May 23rd, '08, 05:40

by jogrebe » May 23rd, '08, 05:40

I love sushi when I can get it which for me is limited to the local Chinese buffet so it doesn't happen too often (mix of money and weight loss efforts) so of course it always goes with tea.

At the moment I am enjoying a mug of golden monkey with plans on drinking lots of shu puerh today.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

May 23rd, '08, 06:10

by Salsero » May 23rd, '08, 06:10

An exceptional, handmade tea from Nilgiri in the southern tip of the Indian peninsula. Flowers are, of course, Rose of Sharon and a Daylily.

The past two days I have taken nearly 1,000 photos of this more lively species:
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

May 23rd, '08, 06:43

by augie » May 23rd, '08, 06:43

Salsero wrote: The past two days I have taken nearly 1,000 photos of this more lively species:
It's an enormous burden having the world's most talented kids, isn't it? :wink: Or do both women belong to you?
This is my favorite shot because it looks like you are right on "leadership's"
backside - the blue belt looks dead-on focused!

We had a piano recital last night, after the last day of school (1.0 had 2 finals). Wednesday night the boys went to the midnight screening of IN Jones. So, Thursday was a very LONG day for a few of us.

Does the grocery store stuff count as real sushi? I usually buy that for lunch in lieu of going to one of the fast feeders. Nothing like a little Wasabi to kick start your afternoon.

May 23rd, '08, 06:47

by ThinkingOutLoud » May 23rd, '08, 06:47

Ah, sushi. One of the great loves of my life. I could eat it every day. We have two fairly decent sushi restaurants here, but I am forever spoiled from living in Asia. When we lived in Seoul, there was this place called, I kid you not, Rollin'. Yes, that was the name, in English, on the outside of the shop. They served these amazing rolls, huge, with this sauce on top, the likes of which I've never seen. I would buy a ticket back to Seoul just for those rolls. I love all kinds of sushi, but one of my faves right now is from a local grocery store! They make a roll with fresh steamed blue crab and avocado, sprinkled with Old Bay and served with a fresh lemon wedge. Yummy. When I bring it home, I brew up some Citron Green. The best lunch possible.

May 23rd, '08, 09:46

by Victoria » May 23rd, '08, 09:46

omegapd wrote:Hey Tenuki,

What are the odds, I'd be having one of your favorites this morning?

Adagios Black Cream.

Happy Friday everyone!

May 23rd, '08, 09:51

by Victoria » May 23rd, '08, 09:51

tenuki wrote:
On a side note:

I was at FLT last night and had the opportunity to join her in sampling the early wave of this spring's gao shan harvest, I tried a unique Baozhong she was considering and three very good Alishans. It was amazing to taste buyer style with an expert and 3 very good examples of Alishan fresh from the farmer. Truly a special experience. It's still amazing to me how good teas can sit in hot water for an hour+ and not get overly bitter or astringent.

There were several tea geeks who trickled in near the end, one whom brought two samples of his own tea that he had just made for us to taste, both from his one bush. One he prepared in rolled oolong style, but the leaves were too small/tender to respond to the rolling well, not a good tea but quite interesting. The green chinese style actually had a few moments around the third pouring, but was fairly weak. Another guy who grows/makes his own tea was there tasting with us and a lively discussion of different processing options and ideas insued. Great times and awesome teas!
Wow, jealous!!

May 23rd, '08, 10:07

by witches brew » May 23rd, '08, 10:07

Mmmm. Sushi and tea. I'll have to find time to go out for sushi this weekend. There's more than a few sushi bars around here, and some of them are quite good.

This morning, I am drinking Makaibari Estate Darjeeling Crystal First Flush, a sample given to me by a friend. It's a delicate and slightly sweet tea, a change from my beloved tisanes and new-found greens. I'm not sure I will purchase any when my sample runs out, but I am enjoying the novelty of drinking black tea. It also confirms that I do prefer delicate tea flavors over something more robust.
Brewing joy, happiness and green tea, like any good TeaWitch should!

May 23rd, '08, 10:27

by xine » May 23rd, '08, 10:27

happy long weekend to everyone (if it applies!) :)

I'm having a wonderful grade of TKY fresh from China. HMMMMM

As for Sushi....you can't talk me out of it. There's this excellent place in Woodbridge, Uyees, which offers half priced sushi on the weekday nights. I pass it on the way home from work, so always an excuse to go after work! :) I have another wedding to go to this sunday, and between the ceremony and reception, there might be some sushi involved since the hotel is right across the street from Uyees....oh boy.

:)

May 23rd, '08, 10:31

by TimeforTea » May 23rd, '08, 10:31

I eat sushi every now and then. The last time I had sushi, however, I got sick. So, I haven't had it in awhile. It might have been the fact that I actually ate eel. :shock: I also had a very fruity alcoholic drink with it, so that may have been the reason as well. I should have had tea!

This morning, I had my first taste of pouchong, from adagio. I used 3 tsp in 1 cup. It didn't have much taste, though. Next brew, I will weigh the leaves and see if that is better.
Last edited by TimeforTea on May 23rd, '08, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

May 23rd, '08, 10:40

by TimeforTea » May 23rd, '08, 10:40

xine wrote:I'm having a wonderful grade of TKY fresh from China. HMMMMM
Where is it from and what does it taste like?