Memorial Day 2008

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Space Samurai asks, which tea did you find most difficult to brew?

Black
6%
Oolong
14%
Green
67%
White
2%
Pu-erh
No votes
Yellow
No votes
Rooibos
No votes
Yerbe mate
2%
Herbal
No votes
Other
10%

Total votes: 51

May 26th, '08, 22:26
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » May 26th, '08, 22:26

Chip wrote: Pu-erh is amazing...I steeped it at least ten times, each a robust cup of tea the likes I have not had in a few years. I even gave 2 steeps to a curious family member who seemed to genuinely enjoy it. He refered to it as slightly fruity...not bad for a guy whose first cup was a few days ago when I shared sencha with him.

I simply ran out of time for more steeps.

No timer, weighing, measuring water, no thermometer, just enjoying tea.
That sounds really, really nice.

May 26th, '08, 22:35

by Victoria » May 26th, '08, 22:35

tenuki wrote:
Chip wrote: Do you have a photo of the bowl only, tenuki...for the TeaDay crowd?
Sometimes the things you already have hidden away in the closets at home eclipse what you find outside of it. Here's to rediscovered treasure!

Lovely!

May 26th, '08, 23:03

by Chip » May 26th, '08, 23:03

Victoria wrote:
Chip wrote: Pu-erh is amazing...I steeped it at least ten times, each a robust cup of tea the likes I have not had in a few years. I even gave 2 steeps to a curious family member who seemed to genuinely enjoy it. He refered to it as slightly fruity...not bad for a guy whose first cup was a few days ago when I shared sencha with him.

I simply ran out of time for more steeps.

No timer, weighing, measuring water, no thermometer, just enjoying tea.

It is indeed lovelier in person, beautiful cloisonne work over white porcelain from Japan.

Perfect.

May 26th, '08, 23:08

by Chip » May 26th, '08, 23:08

tenuki wrote:
Chip wrote: Do you have a photo of the bowl only, tenuki...for the TeaDay crowd?
Sometimes the things you already have hidden away in the closets at home eclipse what you find outside of it. Here's to rediscovered treasure!
This works if you live in Trent's house...his basement is a national treasure...er...international!

Thanx for sharing as always, tenuki. Very nice and unique.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

May 27th, '08, 04:19

by bi lew chun » May 27th, '08, 04:19

I'm surprised so many people said green! With green I find the main rules monodirectional--don't oversteep, don't overheat--and thus easy to experiment with and follow.

Oolong is most difficult for me, because the rules are often so bidirectional. I've had an easy time with TGY and others, but Formosa high mountain has thrown me for a loop. I have five new ones and I can hardly tell whether they're actually different teas or not. I'm finding myself actually strategizing on how I'm going to approach these teas tomorrow.

Pu-erh might be the next hardest for me, but I know so little about what I'm doing with it that I have no idea whether I mess things up or not.

May 27th, '08, 05:20

by Salsero » May 27th, '08, 05:20

It's all so easy. Why complicate it?

water + leaves = tea

May 27th, '08, 06:07

by Beidao » May 27th, '08, 06:07

Salsero wrote:water + leaves = tea
water + heat + handpicked, rolled/steamed/roasted/sundried/oxidated/aged leaves of Camelia Sinensis Sinensis/Assamica etc. + love + fascination + care = TEA
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror