Getting What You Pay For - A Rant Against Bargain Hunting

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 27th, '08, 00:07

by GeoffK » May 27th, '08, 00:07

Good point about making sure the reviews were posted at the shop. I just entered reviews for several of the teas I've had. Both positive and negative.

Thanks again Jim for being so receptive.

May 27th, '08, 00:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » May 27th, '08, 00:17

I guess we should all be entering little reviews at vendor's sites. I know I have almost never done so. :oops:

Thanks, all, for bring this "good citizen" type issue up.

May 27th, '08, 00:51

by Wesli » May 27th, '08, 00:51

I agree, Sal, let's do it.

In fact, when I first started looking around at tea sites online, I decided to start at Adagio because they had the most negative reviews on their site. And they weren't the negative reviews where people say "I didn't enjoy this tea but *I'm sure it's just me*. This is still good tea." Adagio's negative reviews proved legitimacy, I liked that.

May 27th, '08, 01:16

by GeoffK » May 27th, '08, 01:16

I agree, it's a good 'tea citizen' issue. Perhaps someone can post a general thread encouraging and reminding people to post reviews of their teas when they buy them, where they buy them!

May 27th, '08, 01:19

by jogrebe » May 27th, '08, 01:19

GeoffK wrote:Good point about making sure the reviews were posted at the shop. I just entered reviews for several of the teas I've had. Both positive and negative.

Thanks again Jim for being so receptive.
Good point especially how many of us that are bloggers don't bother posting reviews because we blog about them. Funny in a way because I think at least a third if not half of my teablog posts are teas from Puerh Shop but I've only ever posted a single revirew to puerh shop and that was on an amazing green tea I got from him and really loved.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

May 27th, '08, 01:24

Re: HK wet stored

by tenuki » May 27th, '08, 01:24

MarshalN wrote: Tenuki, if you regularly drink cooked pu, then there's really no good reason why you would dislike wet stored raw pu from HK, provided that they're the real deal and stored properly. [/i]
Ya, and provided I brew it correctly, which is always suspect. :D
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

May 27th, '08, 01:28

by Salsero » May 27th, '08, 01:28

Wesli wrote:I decided to start at Adagio because they had the most negative reviews on their site.
When I started learning about tea, I would brew up an Adagio tea and sit and read the reviews (often many reviews) of the tea so I could learn what was in my cup. It was a great series of lessons for me in learning to taste in general, not just tea. Mostly I learned to think beyond good or bad*, but to have a little subtlety to my tasting, something I'd never experienced before.

*Any reference to Nietzsche is purely coincidental.

May 27th, '08, 01:40

by hop_goblin » May 27th, '08, 01:40

Salsero wrote:
Wesli wrote:I decided to start at Adagio because they had the most negative reviews on their site.
When I started learning about tea, I would brew up an Adagio tea and sit and read the reviews (often many reviews) of the tea so I could learn what was in my cup. It was a great series of lessons for me in learning to taste in general, not just tea. Mostly I learned to think beyond good or bad*, but to have a little subtlety to my tasting, something I'd never experienced before.

Loved the disclaimer Sal! But you are so right on! In fact, that is one of my favorite things to do.. I either read reviews, or read the history of the tea or the vendors notes. Just adds to the experience!

May 27th, '08, 01:40

by PolyhymnianMuse » May 27th, '08, 01:40

Salsero wrote:

Coincidental or not, such a wonderful topic it is... :twisted:

That is yet another thing that is great about adagio, every tea for the most part has plenty of reviews which is great to really understand the specific tea. I don't know of any other tea site that compares to Adagio in terms of reviews for their teas.

May 27th, '08, 01:43

by hop_goblin » May 27th, '08, 01:43

I must say that the Adagio reviews in the pu-erh section are side stitch funny! If you have not read them, do yourself a favor and read them. For the most part, this is the face they were making when they took their first sip -----> :shock:

May 27th, '08, 01:45

by Salsero » May 27th, '08, 01:45

hop_goblin wrote:I must say that the Adagio reviews in the pu-erh section are side stitch funny! If you have not read them, do yourself a favor and read them. For the most part, this is the face they were making when they took their first sip -----> :shock:
They are indeed a hoot. Puerh would not be Adagio's bread and butter tea -- if it were they'd have been out of business long ago!

May 27th, '08, 01:48

by PolyhymnianMuse » May 27th, '08, 01:48

hop_goblin wrote:I must say that the Adagio reviews in the pu-erh section are side stitch funny! If you have not read them, do yourself a favor and read them. For the most part, this is the face they were making when they took their first sip -----> :shock:
Lol yea there are quite a few pu-erh reviews on adagio that put that type of face in mind, but thats an even better example because it shows the wide range of people who really like it to the people who couldn't stand it, which in some cases in the nature of the beast anyway.

May 27th, '08, 01:55

by hop_goblin » May 27th, '08, 01:55

PolyhymnianMuse wrote:
Lol yea there are quite a few pu-erh reviews on adagio that put that type of face in mind, but thats an even better example because it shows the wide range of people who really like it to the people who couldn't stand it, which in some cases in the nature of the beast anyway.
Yeah, this is why pu-erh is so interesting.. It certainly creates an interesting dichotomy.. you either love or you hate it. And for those who only "like it" or are of the " I will drink it but....." they only do so as a result of appreciation :wink:

May 27th, '08, 02:12

by jogrebe » May 27th, '08, 02:12

Thanks for pointing out our lack of feedback on the Puerh shop site. In a way its a bit sad if Jim has to read the teachat tasting pack threads on teachat to better figure out how to stock teas that we really enjoy. I've since copied my blog entries of the teas from puerh shop that didn't sell out yet as customer reviews and plan on cross posting all future blog entries on puerhshop tea and encourage everyone else that is a blogger to do the same. Especially since Jim is so open to and responded to feedback we should make it easy for him to meet our puerh needs.
John Grebe

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C. S. Lewis

May 27th, '08, 12:52

by GeoffK » May 27th, '08, 12:52

jogrebe wrote: Especially since Jim is so open to and responded to feedback we should make it easy for him to meet our puerh needs.
Absolutely. He's won me over by his approach. My reviews both positive and negative are up. He'll be getting another order from me the next go around (I currently have a few things in route from Hou De and a couple other places so that may not be for a couple weeks).

+ Post Reply