ThursDay TeaDay 5/29/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Today, I am drinking flavored tea, yes or no?

Yes, I am drinking flavored tea today
9%
Yes and No...having had flavored and non flavored tea today (or plan to)
29%
No flavored tea for me today
62%

Total votes: 55

May 29th, '08, 04:57
Scrolling: scrolling

ThursDay TeaDay 5/29/08

by Chip » May 29th, '08, 04:57

Yesterday, 2 out of 3 responders indicated they had too much tea open currently. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Welcome one and all to TeaDay, all are welcome to come and share what is in their cup today...all day. So, please join us and share what is in your cup. But be sure to check out what others are sipping as well. If you need to, you can also reflect back on your TeaDay.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic centers upon a somewhat controversial topic, flavored tea. To be completely honest, the whole concept of TeaDay was to bring about acceptance of everyone and what they drink, and then bring the entire cross section of TeaChat together to one forum...this is what TeaDay is all about.

I for one have been very pleased with how everyone has accepted this concept and each other...and thus caused TeaDay to take off. But also so has TeaChat as posting across the entire board has shot up dramatically!

Today, I address this topic head on...something I would have been afraid to do a year ago. I can say that the TeaChat forum has "matured" since then.

So, have you had flavored tea today? Yes, no, or yes and no? Please share.

Thanks to everyone for accepting all tea drinkers in TeaDay. We are a very diverse group, but we all love tea. See you on TeaDay today! Bottoms up...refill...repeat.

On a somewhat personal note, your moderators will be leaving for the World Tea Expo tomorrow morning.

May 29th, '08, 05:30

by fencerdenoctum » May 29th, '08, 05:30

Oooh neat, I have the "first" post on today's Teaday!

I do enjoy drinking tea that has a flavor. I refuse to drink flavorless tea. Its just water then.

After a long night researching and typing a paper, I will be having some Vanilla Rooibos. Perhaps it will ease the transition from tons of caffeine to no caffeine and allow my eyes to close at some point during the day.

The Tea Sipping Swordsman,
Fencerdenoctum

May 29th, '08, 06:07

by olivierco » May 29th, '08, 06:07

I only drink jasmine pearls or jasmine silverneedles as flavored tea.

No plan to drink some today.

This morning keemun and now houjicha with my lunch.

May 29th, '08, 06:13

SHUI XIAN OOLONG

by Salsero » May 29th, '08, 06:13

Hope you are safely tucked away in bed by now, Fence. While you are sleeping I will just quiety pour your flavored tea down the drain ... glug, glug glug

My pictured tea today is a very special Shui Xian, a gift from a gentleman who, when I commented on the beauty of the leaves, replied “Good looking tea indeed. I pressed the farmer to hand pick each leaf to my specific needs, and paid him double for the extra requirement!

This is a rock-grown Phoenix SX of 400 hundred years Bushes. Can you taste the dried sea weed? ... Very lightly stabilized, not even consider fired. The last SX you tried is from Wuyi, fired and aged. Fun right?” Yes, fun, and a rare honor for me this Shui Xian from the Phoenix Mtn area, home of Dan Cong, rather than the Wuyi Mtn area.
Southern Elder, Sambucus simpsonii. Elderberry flavored tea, anyone? The pot bears a Shan Shui motif.

(Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!)

May 29th, '08, 06:48

by omegapd » May 29th, '08, 06:48

Yep, I plan on it. Going to make up a pitcher of Constant Comment iced tea this morning. My little boy asked for some a few days ago. That's his favorite tea to drink and a staple in our household.

Enjoying a mix of CTC Assam and Ceylon Sonata to make my own Irish Breakfast and use up the few crumbs of Ceylon I had left. Came out decent...

EW

May 29th, '08, 07:31

by Beidao » May 29th, '08, 07:31

Usually, I drink coffee in the morning, then black tea during the day, then not black tea during the evening. But today I didn't like the thought of blacks so I've had 3 steepings of TKY and 3 steepings of Sencha that were really, really delicious. Fresh, steamed Asparagus squeezed over with lime - first vegetal, then sour in an awakening way, then a caramel aftertaste. I'm glad to be enjoying this tea at last. To bad I spent most of the package on totally bitter brewíngs...

I drink very little flavored tea. When I do, it's Jasmine or Lapsang. I have some sort of flavoured Rooibos and an Amaretto-flavoured black tea, but I'm seldom tempeted to drink them.
The noise comes from the other side of the mirror

May 29th, '08, 07:51

Re: SHUI XIAN OOLONG

by chrl42 » May 29th, '08, 07:51

Salsero wrote:Hope you are safely tucked away in bed by now, Fence. While you are sleeping I will just quiety pour your flavored tea down the drain ... glug, glug glug

My pictured tea today is a very special Shui Xian, a gift from a gentleman who, when I commented on the beauty of the leaves, replied “Good looking tea indeed. I pressed the farmer to hand pick each leaf to my specific needs, and paid him double for the extra requirement!

This is a rock-grown Phoenix SX of 400 hundred years Bushes. Can you taste the dried sea weed? ... Very lightly stabilized, not even consider fired. The last SX you tried is from Wuyi, fired and aged. Fun right?” Yes, fun, and a rare honor for me this Shui Xian from the Phoenix Mtn area, home of Dan Cong, rather than the Wuyi Mtn area.
Southern Elder, Sambucus simpsonii. Elderberry flavored tea, anyone? The pot bears a Shan Shui motif.

(Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!)
What a cute Ni Hui(clay painted) yixing you got there :)
That teapot is about 80ml I suppose?
Perfect size for one person..

Anyways, flower-scented Alishan Oolong for today..

May 29th, '08, 08:22

by CanadaBlue » May 29th, '08, 08:22

Yes and No.

I LIKE flavored tea. Fruit are my favorite, flowers are not my bag.

Right now - Adagio special blend from Diggnation, Man behind the Green Curtain, which is a blend of oolong and black teas.

May 29th, '08, 08:48

by ThinkingOutLoud » May 29th, '08, 08:48

I'll have both flavored greens and non flavored blacks and whites today. I might throw in a dragonwell to balance out the non flavored category ... we'll see! Irish Breakfast this morning. What a shock ....

May 29th, '08, 09:08

Re: SHUI XIAN OOLONG

by Salsero » May 29th, '08, 09:08

chrl42 wrote:What a cute Ni Hui(clay painted) yixing you got there :)
That teapot is about 80ml I suppose?
Perfect size for one person..
Thanks for the term Ni Hui, Chrl42. Actually, the pot is only 45 ml. I'm a fan of small pots, but this one is my smallest.

May 29th, '08, 09:14

by henley » May 29th, '08, 09:14

I drink both flavored & unflavored. I started out on flavored black tea & there's still some of them I enjoy. It's only been recently that I found an unflavored black that I really like*. Oolong preference is based more on oxidation level than whether or not flavored.

After your post yesterday, Beidao, was inspired to try the Czar Nicholas Russian tea from the TeaPass box this morning. Let's just say the Czar won't be back at my house! It was okay but couldn't get past the perfume smell to enjoy the taste. Made a small pot of *Organic Monk's Blend instead & it was muuuch better! :D
Chip wrote:On a somewhat personal note, your moderators will be leaving for the World Tea Expo tomorrow morning.
Have a safe trip & bring back lots of goodies for all of us. :wink:

May 29th, '08, 09:22

by hop_goblin » May 29th, '08, 09:22

Flavored tea!!!! Common! What is the point!! Thats like pouring ketchup over a ribeye steak!!

May 29th, '08, 09:23

by LavenderPekoe » May 29th, '08, 09:23

Started today with grapefruit oolong, so, yes, I will have flavored tea today. I will also have non-flavored as well, though. I like a large variety.
Teas for trade:

May 29th, '08, 09:26

by Victoria » May 29th, '08, 09:26

No flavored teas for me. Contrary to popular belief, I really don't care for flavored teas. There is one exception; that one, most of you know about. Other than that I do enjoy a few scented teas occasionally.

Starting my day with a lovely organic Assam from Ambrosia. Very mild and smooth. Finishing up my sample, but I won't be putting this on my list.

Have a nice day everyone!

Mods, happy packing day. Take empty suitcases to bring back all the booty! I am so excited for you both, CynTEAa and all of Adagio! I can feel the excitement building!!
Last edited by Victoria on May 29th, '08, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.

May 29th, '08, 09:26

by henley » May 29th, '08, 09:26

hop_goblin wrote:Flavored tea!!!! Common! What is the point!! Thats like pouring ketchup over a ribeye steak!!
Think of it more like ice cream... sometimes you want vanilla & sometimes you want chocolate, nuts & all the works. :wink: