Favorite Da Hong Pao / Wuyi Rock Tea?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

May 31st, '08, 22:40

Favorite Da Hong Pao / Wuyi Rock Tea?

by towerofdabble » May 31st, '08, 22:40

I've tried a few "Da Hong Pao" teas now (from Upton and TeaSource), and liked both a lot. Have another couple Wuyi Rock teas on the way from Jing [drums fingers impatiently]. To have a better understanding of the potential of this tea, I'd really like to try what some here feel is a quintessential example of a Big Red Robe or other Wuyi rock tea.

Any recommendations? (Price is a consideration of course, but I would be willing to try even fairly pricey teas like the "Exquisite" or "Tribute" DHPs that TeaCuppa offers, if consensus is that they're really great examples.)

Thanks in advance!

May 31st, '08, 23:19
Scrolling: scrolling

by scruffmcgruff » May 31st, '08, 23:19

I tried one of the ones from Teacuppa, and liked it a lot. I can't remember if it was the A or B one, though. I haven't tried the exquisite one, but I imagine it's very good. Supposedly the people at Teacuppa specialize in DHP. Of course, I don't claim to be a DHP expert, but there ya go. :)
Tea Nerd - www.teanerd.com

May 31st, '08, 23:21

by chrl42 » May 31st, '08, 23:21

I recommend you to try Si Da Ming Cong (4 famous wuyi teas). Da Hong Pao, Tie Luo Han, Shui Jin Gui and Bei Ji Guan. Especially Bai Ji Guan, rarest of them and very unique flavor. Also try Rou Gui and Shui Xian which are reminiscent of Da Hong Pao somehow.

Jun 1st, '08, 00:48

by Victoria » Jun 1st, '08, 00:48

TeaCuppa's Bai Ji Guan is very good.

Jun 2nd, '08, 18:05

by teaisgood » Jun 2nd, '08, 18:05

Wu Yi Cha Wang Da Hong Pao from teaspring is very good. It is made by Wuyi tea research institute. It is suppose to approximate the taste of the 5 original Da Hong Pao plant.

Jun 17th, '08, 21:05

by Tadpole » Jun 17th, '08, 21:05

Tie Luo Han would be my favorite Wuyi so far. It reminds me of a dark roast TKY, but more floral. The one I often got last year when I was obsessed with this tea was purchased from Red Blossom in San Fran.

Jun 17th, '08, 23:14

by Salsero » Jun 17th, '08, 23:14

Victoria wrote:TeaCuppa's Bai Ji Guan is very good.
I am no expert on Bai Ji Guan, so discount my comment accordingly, but TeaCuppa's seems way roasted compared to what I have read about Bai Ji Guan, and even compared to one other example that I have tried. I just ordered some from TeaSpring and Jing in hopes of getting to the bottom of the Bai Ji Guan issue!

Course, as with all this tea stuff, it will probably just get murkier and murkier the deeper I go!

Jun 21st, '08, 10:43

by britt » Jun 21st, '08, 10:43

I have been very happy with the Da Hong Pao, Bai Ji Guan, and Rou Gui I have been purchasing from Hou De. Guang's selection of the particular teas he carries, and the research he does before he offers the selection, is IMO a definite plus. I feel they are safe and they taste great.

Jun 22nd, '08, 12:36

by Selaphiel » Jun 22nd, '08, 12:36

I`ve tried the Imperial Da Hong Pao from Jing teashop which I enjoyed very much. But I got a sample of a much cheaper Wuyi tea from there which is different but just as good in its own way. The Traditional Shui Xian oolong. Magnificent tea, very roasted with a hint of burnt charcoal aroma in the background of a sweet honey like aroma, highly recommended.

Jun 22nd, '08, 12:56

by britt » Jun 22nd, '08, 12:56

Selaphiel wrote:I`ve tried the Imperial Da Hong Pao from Jing teashop which I enjoyed very much. But I got a sample of a much cheaper Wuyi tea from there which is different but just as good in its own way. The Traditional Shui Xian oolong. Magnificent tea, very roasted with a hint of burnt charcoal aroma in the background of a sweet honey like aroma, highly recommended.
It's funny you mention that, because the three Wuyi's I have tried from Hou De ranged from $24.50 to $52.50 per 2 ounces, and my favorite was the cheapest, which was the Rou Gai. I thought they were all great, but I liked the Rou Gai the best and it is the one I usually recommend to others.

+ Post Reply