Gunpowder Green Tea...need more like this

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Dec 6th, '05, 17:46

Gunpowder Green Tea...need more like this

by Steveski » Dec 6th, '05, 17:46

OK, I admit that green tea has never really been my, err, cup of tea, but I tried a Gunpowder Green and i really love it. none of the grassyness that i don't particularly care for. it's got a deep earthy slightly smokey flavor, exactly what i like. a lot like some of the Whites and Oolongs that i love so.

So my question is this, what other greens are similar in style to the Gunpowder stuff?

steveski

Dec 6th, '05, 19:07
Adagio

by ilya » Dec 6th, '05, 19:07

If you are a fan of smoky, I'd suggest lapsang souchong, but be warned... there's nothing subtle about this tea's smokiness.

Also, if you like green teas but don't like the grassy taste, i'd suggest picking up a sample tin of hojicha. It's a roasted green tea that's my personal favorite.

Dec 6th, '05, 21:38

by Steveski » Dec 6th, '05, 21:38

ahh yes, the tea that SMELLS LIKE GUNPOWDER! ;-) yes. i've had the ole lapsang souchong a few times. it's ok. don't love it, don't hate it. it's a bit TOO STRONG. i do like the pu-erh's but i was really looking for some greens that were not as grassy as some of the ones i've had. i'll look into the hojicha you suggested. thanks.

Dec 7th, '05, 16:14

by snotbottom » Dec 7th, '05, 16:14

The current batch of Keemun Concerto here at adagio is pleasantly smoky, if you are looking for a smoky black tea.

Much, much milder than any Lapsang Souchong I've had, but still a noticable smoky essence.

Cheers!

Dec 7th, '05, 21:50

by PeteVu » Dec 7th, '05, 21:50

i would try genmai cha. its hardly smoky but at the same time its hardly a grassy green.
There are four advantages to green tea... Its beauty, its taste, its aroma, and its health benefits. Learn to enjoy the first three and you'll forget you drank it for the fourth. ^^

Dec 7th, '05, 22:50

by Steveski » Dec 7th, '05, 22:50

Thanks for the tips!

Dec 8th, '05, 11:46

by Steveski » Dec 8th, '05, 11:46

i've tried a few of the 'roasted' greens and they've all been pretty good. the roasting takes out the grassyness but does leave a hint of smokeyness.

+ Post Reply