Thursday TeaDay 6/05/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Hop asks, "Which effect do you generally recieve from drinking tea the most?"

Get me off the ceiling energy
No votes
A pleasant zing
18%
Soothing comfort
63%
High anxiety
No votes
Chatterbox
No votes
Nothing
4%
Other
16%

Total votes: 56

Jun 5th, '08, 22:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by Geekgirl » Jun 5th, '08, 22:57

I really don't know much about it. There is a matching(?) cup and saucer. The second cup has a delicate handle, and some blue. I inherited these things from my grandfather's estate. He collected all kinds of things, and nobody but me was interested in his asian stuff. I also have a small korean celadon vase that I'm using for tea utensils, and a few other unusual (non-tea) items.

The closest thing to it I've been able to find online is the arita porcelain on Artistic Nippon. Says that the pattern is cut then filled with a "secret crystal." I suspect my grandfather knew what it was, he was quite knowledgeable about glass, porcelains, and ceramics.

Jun 5th, '08, 23:05

by Chip » Jun 5th, '08, 23:05

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:I really don't know much about it. There is a matching(?) cup and saucer. The second cup has a delicate handle, and some blue. I inherited these things from my grandfather's estate. He collected all kinds of things, and nobody but me was interested in his asian stuff. I also have a small korean celadon vase that I'm using for tea utensils, and a few other unusual (non-tea) items.

The closest thing to it I've been able to find online is the arita porcelain on Artistic Nippon. Says that the pattern is cut then filled with a "secret crystal." I suspect my grandfather knew what it was, he was quite knowledgeable about glass, porcelains, and ceramics.
I was wondering if it was one of those "rice cups"...not sure what they are called.

It is really unusual...and lovely...and of course special to you.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 5th, '08, 23:15

by Geekgirl » Jun 5th, '08, 23:15

Chip wrote: I was wondering if it was one of those "rice cups"...not sure what they are called.

Thank you!!! a quick search shows that is exactly what it is: rice porcelain. These two items were in a box stored in a closet he probably wasn't able to get to for 20 years. (Long story.) So I don't know the age, but now I know what it is!

Yay!

Jun 5th, '08, 23:20

by Chip » Jun 5th, '08, 23:20

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Chip wrote: I was wondering if it was one of those "rice cups"...not sure what they are called.

Thank you!!! a quick search shows that is exactly what it is: rice porcelain. These two items were in a box stored in a closet he probably wasn't able to get to for 20 years. (Long story.) So I don't know the age, but now I know what it is!

Yay!
Yay!

I was too lazy to look it up, but figured it was.

Awesome...I am sure he is pleased knowing that you are truly enjoying them. I know you will cherish his memory with each use.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 5th, '08, 23:44

by Victoria » Jun 5th, '08, 23:44

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:In my cup, evening edition:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I have been looking for a cup like that for so long!!

So, so, so, long you have no idea. Many years ago I bought a traditional blue one, but since that time I have been on a mission to find a plain one.

I just recently found this one but it is a big big and more like a rice bowl:

So then I buy this one and it is too small:

I feel like Goldilocks!!
Last edited by Victoria on Jun 5th, '08, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 5th, '08, 23:46

by Salsero » Jun 5th, '08, 23:46

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:The closest thing to it I've been able to find online is the arita porcelain on Artistic Nippon.
Yes it was exactly the fact that I was oogling the Artistic Nippon ones on line that made your cup stand out. Thanks for sharing the story behind it.

Jun 6th, '08, 00:15

by Katrina » Jun 6th, '08, 00:15

auggy wrote:
omegapd wrote:
auggy wrote:Apparently I had the kiss of death for teams in the playoffs this year. I start pulling for them and they'd immediately lose.
Then please,please,please start rooting for the LA Lakers in tonights basketball finals. :D Diehard C's fan here...
Go Lakers! Woo hoo!

See if that works for you.
It seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the help, Auggy! (From another Boston sports fan.)

And Geekgirl, thank you for sharing your beautiful photos. I think we have quite a run of artists on this board.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jun 6th, '08, 00:27

by trent » Jun 6th, '08, 00:27

My family regularly uses some rice-porcelain bowls, but I like the clean design of your cup alot better than the ones we have.

However, what really made me double take is this:
(click on the image).

I love how they put so many "secret crystals" in there and, regardless of price, I WILL eventually buy this cup. I love to admire hagi-ware etc... but this is one of the few pieces of teaware that has just made me stop and say WOW. Can you imagine what that would look like filled with deep green fukamushi on a sunny day. WOW. Sal was oogling for good reason.

EDIT: If anyone buys this, they are a TeaGod.

Jun 6th, '08, 00:58

by Salsero » Jun 6th, '08, 00:58

trent wrote: If anyone buys this, they are a TeaGod.
I agree with you 100% on the TeaGod status and that it's just a question of time, but is it Hagiware? What exactly is this rice porcelain made of. I thought it looked like porcelain, but it's dawning on me that maybe it isn't.

Jun 6th, '08, 01:30

by trent » Jun 6th, '08, 01:30

Rice-porcelain is just porcelain with rice pressed into it (rice is somewhat transparent so light shines through it.

Regarding the teagod cup, I have no idea what it's made of, but I trust Toru when he says that it's "a secret crystal." It looks a bit different than rice.

Jun 6th, '08, 01:33

by Victoria » Jun 6th, '08, 01:33

The rice burns away in the firing. Then they fill in the holes with a clear lacquer type material and then glaze over it. The body is porcelain.

Jun 6th, '08, 02:22

by trent » Jun 6th, '08, 02:22

Considering my answer was just based upon what I grew up thinking (i.e. assumptions, not fact) victoria is probably right.

Jun 6th, '08, 02:46

by Salsero » Jun 6th, '08, 02:46

trent wrote:My family regularly uses some rice-porcelain bowls
As we get deeper into this topic, I am getting more curious about the bowls your family uses. If you get a chance, I (and likely others) would like to get a look at one of these bowls.

Jun 6th, '08, 09:18

by Victoria » Jun 6th, '08, 09:18

This is the traditional look and similar to the ones I first owned. I love the look of the light coming through, so I began my search for plain white ones. It has been a long and dry search until recently finding the two new ones, and still the quest continues.
http://www.minggift.com/Merchant2/merch ... ry_Code=37