Saturday TEADAY 6/07/2008

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Jogrebe asks, "What would you do if money ever became so tight that you had to alter your current tea consumption?"

Drink less tea, less tea is better than cheaper tea.
44%
Drink cheaper tea, tea plays too important role in my life to cut down on the amount I drink.
24%
Give up food and clothing...that is what spent tea leaves are for ; )
10%
Other
22%

Total votes: 50

Jun 7th, '08, 11:08

by witches brew » Jun 7th, '08, 11:08

If money were that much of an issue, I might have to master the art of the fourth and fifth steep. So I wouldn't buy different tea; I would make sure I coaxed every drop of flavor out of the tea I currently buy.

The fog has burned off, and the temperature is climbing. Green tea has such a cooling quality, even when served hot, and especially when served in a delicate white cup. This morning it's Den's Hashiri Shincha. Mmm.

Jun 7th, '08, 11:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Salsero » Jun 7th, '08, 11:27

Mary R wrote:I'd be able to snap pics of tea next to tomatoes...in August.
Mmm. By August, virtually everything here will be too heat stressed to even consider blooming.

Jun 7th, '08, 11:41

by Mary R » Jun 7th, '08, 11:41

Thank you for reminding me why I don't like the South. :)

Jun 7th, '08, 11:43

by hop_goblin » Jun 7th, '08, 11:43

Mary R wrote:Thank you for reminding me why I don't like the South. :)

Mary, sometimes living up north doesn't have its advantages either! Try snow in late April!

Jun 7th, '08, 11:44

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jun 7th, '08, 11:44

I really don't know what I would do. I mean, I am a poor college student now and only get money from my $8/hr summer job so its not like I have much spending money to begin with. Out of what I do have, a decent-sized chunk goes to tea. I suppose I would sacrifice other things instead of tea, like cut down on buying new shoes, clothes, or books and depending more on second-hand stores.

This morning, I have iced White Peach-White Blueberry.

Jun 7th, '08, 11:58

by Carnelian » Jun 7th, '08, 11:58

hop_goblin wrote:

Mary, sometimes living up north doesn't have its advantages either! Try snow in late April!
I handled the snow, but the recent hail-wave has my strawberry plants extremely shocked.
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Jun 7th, '08, 12:18

by Katrina » Jun 7th, '08, 12:18

I chose "Other" because I think the supply in my tea cabinet currently could probably last me until the year 2024 as it is. (Plus, the blogger perks just keep coming.) And now that I've learned the joy of multiple steeps, there's no stopping me. :wink:

I want to thank Salsero in advance for the sore muscles I'm about to experience. His gorgeous photos just got me to spend 3 hours in the yard trying to get my gardens up and ready. Maybe someday I'll actually have some photos to show for it.

Casablanca Twist in my cup right now.
Visit my website and blog at http://www.teapages.net and http://teapages.blogspot.com

Jun 7th, '08, 12:24

by Mary R » Jun 7th, '08, 12:24

hop_goblin wrote:
Dude, you live in JV Canada, and it takes a seriously well-adjusted person to be able to deal with that fact alone, never mind the crazy weather . :twisted:

Jun 7th, '08, 12:30

by Geekgirl » Jun 7th, '08, 12:30

Several expensive hobbies would go down first before my tea leaf budget took a hit:

no more expensive photo toys,
break down one of my marine aquariums,
no more comics (well, except for Fables, I really LOVE Fables,)
less trips to Powell's bookstore,
fewer music purchases,
less teaware,

...less tea. But really, there are plenty of excellent quality lower cost teas out there. So to me, it would just mean making a less expensive choice, not a poor quality choice.

In my cup:

This is another of my new Adagio samples, the Wuyi Ensemble oolong. I really like it (though not quite as much as yesterday's oolong #40, probably due to the nostalgia factor.) It has a nice mild aftertaste of stone fruit, with the second steep being slightly mellower and nuttier - though I'm afraid my mouth usually just says "YUM!" or "EW!" so that's about as discerning as my descriptions will ever get. :lol:

The china is an old Homer Laughlin pattern called "Skytone." It was my first ebay purchase about 10 years ago when you could enter "blue teacup" and get 6 matches.

Jun 7th, '08, 12:47

by Salsero » Jun 7th, '08, 12:47

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote: Image
I love the way the window light wraps around the cup and sets it off from the saucer ... and the saucer pattern relected on the outside of the cup. Are those three tiny white dots on the right interior of the cup reflections of three indoor lights? Skytone seems really at home in skylight.

Jun 7th, '08, 12:53

by Carnelian » Jun 7th, '08, 12:53

Salsero wrote:I love the way the window light wraps around the cup and sets it off from the saucer ... and the saucer pattern relected on the outside of the cup. Are those three tiny white dots on the right interior of the cup reflections of three indoor lights? Skytone seems really at home in skylight.
So Sal, does it feel good to be on the awe-inspired complimenting side of a beautiful photo now?
Life is like a cup of tea, savor it slowly or it will be gone too fast

Jun 7th, '08, 12:55

Re: Nantou Dong Ding

by Victoria » Jun 7th, '08, 12:55

Salsero wrote:In honor of the Oolong Box Pass preparing for its maiden voyage, Dong Ding oolong and Lily of the Nile or Agapanthus.
Thanks Sal stunning pic! Yes the Oolong box pass is in the begining stages and I am taking sign-ups now!

http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?t=5534

To answer the question, I guess I'd find a cheap everyday tea I liked and then splurge on high mountain oolongs as a treat. EW, pass that Red Rose!

Jun 7th, '08, 12:56

by Geekgirl » Jun 7th, '08, 12:56

Katrina wrote: I want to thank Salsero in advance for the sore muscles I'm about to experience. His gorgeous photos just got me to spend 3 hours in the yard trying to get my gardens up and ready.
OMG, ditto. I have some beautiful things blooming out there, but soooo many weeds. bleh. Plus I have to go pull up all the walnut trees that my squirrels so graciously planted last fall. :shock:

Jun 7th, '08, 13:00

by Salsero » Jun 7th, '08, 13:00

Carnelian wrote:So Sal, does it feel good to be on the awe-inspired complimenting side of a beautiful photo now?
Love it! You guys need to put me on that side more.

MOAR PIX!

Jun 7th, '08, 13:01

by Geekgirl » Jun 7th, '08, 13:01

Salsero wrote: Are those three tiny white dots on the right interior of the cup reflections of three indoor lights? Skytone seems really at home in skylight.
Yep, one is anyways. Usually I hold a screen over the camera if I'm shooting with the light on. Today I was lazy. It's such a grey day that I needed the indoor light to warm up the colors, but that was the extent of my photo manipulation. Nice catch. The other two lights are actually reflections off a pair of white porcelain/resin fu dogs that sit on top of a bookcase in my den.