Sunday 6/08/08, oh yeah, TeaDay

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Inspired by yesterday's topic, suddenly, you have more money...where does it go?

More tea
11%
Better tea
15%
Best tea, period
11%
Nothing changes tea wise
36%
Other
26%

Total votes: 53

Jun 8th, '08, 16:38
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Bao Zhong and Crape Myrtle

by Geekgirl » Jun 8th, '08, 16:38

Salsero wrote:A sumptuously understated Bao Zhong today with some more Crape Myrtle flowers...
…..Clicking is always an alternative....
This is absolutely beautiful! I suppose I should try my hand at including florals in my shots. Inspiring!
The Maple leaves on the yunomi are the only ones I have, but I have heard that Chip is obsessed with Japanese Maples ... the real trees, not just their depiction on teawarez.
In our yard there are 3 different types of Maple. There's a 25 foot Japanese Maple next to the house that is stunning with tiny pink seeds. I love them too. I've been eyeing that Seiho maple leaf kyusu over at Artistic Nippon. He sold the one I really wanted though. Too slow, as usual. :lol:

Jun 8th, '08, 16:48

by auggy » Jun 8th, '08, 16:48

I voted for "other". Hubby and I are doing the Dave Ramsey thing and are now aiming to pay off our house. So when we get extra money, that's where it goes. We'll have it paid off in two and a half more years, maybe sooner. Making a 30-year mortgage an 8 year. Tea, no matter how cool, just can't compare to that. Plus, there's only been one tea I've passed on because of price - it was $150 for 2oz. Yeah, I'll wait on that, thanks.

Finished up the last of my dragonwell sampler today. Now I have lots of little sample tins to put tea box samples in. Which should be here Wednesday, so yay!

Jun 8th, '08, 16:56

by olivierco » Jun 8th, '08, 16:56

Darjeeling Phuguri FTGFOP1 to end the day. 1.22$ for 3 nice steeps (150ml)

Total for the day: five high quality teas for only 6.76$ (just a little more than a small Evian bottle in Vegas).
A little over my daily budget (ca 5.30$) though due to koicha which I don't drink daily.
I don't see why I should spend more if I had more money.

Here are the details
Yunnan golden tips 0.78$
Houjicha 0.40$
Ippodo Shincha 1.96$
Kaburagien matcha 2.40$
Darjeeling Phuguri 1.22$

Tea isn't expensive

Jun 8th, '08, 17:01

by Victoria » Jun 8th, '08, 17:01

CynTEAa wrote:There are some competition grade things I would go for if the opportunity arose, but tea-wise I really cannot complain. :wink:

Victoria - that sounds interesting! Details please!
You can read my review here:
http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?p=44946#44946

Jun 8th, '08, 17:12

by Salsero » Jun 8th, '08, 17:12

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:In my cup, the Da Hong Pao. Image
At some point I would like to see more of this gaiwan.

Jun 8th, '08, 17:14

by Victoria » Jun 8th, '08, 17:14

Salsero wrote:
I was thinkin' the same thing.
:)

Jun 8th, '08, 17:20

by Ladytiger » Jun 8th, '08, 17:20

I'm proud of myself. I made stir fry for dinner.
It taste fantastic with some TKY!

Jun 8th, '08, 18:00

by Salsero » Jun 8th, '08, 18:00

Ladytiger wrote:I'm proud of myself. I made stir fry for dinner ... It taste fantastic with some TKY!
Good for you, Ladytiger. One point for TGY with stir fry!

Someone needs to start a thread devoted to matching tea and food. I heard about some restaurant someplace that actually has a guy to help customers pair tea with their dinner, sort of a sommelier of tea. We need one of those guys here.

Jun 8th, '08, 18:04

by Victoria » Jun 8th, '08, 18:04

Looks DELISH LadyTiger! Yum!

Meanwhile here at Tea Tasting Day - I just brewed up and tasted Adagio Chocolate and Enjoying Teas Banana Black.

Ummmm so now In my cup:

Adagio Wuyi Ensemble

Jun 8th, '08, 18:11

by Geekgirl » Jun 8th, '08, 18:11

Salsero wrote: At some point I would like to see more of this gaiwan.
You know that can be arranged... I'll put one up in the "show us" thread, but for now...

Beautiful leaves from the Da Hong Pao, 5th steep, I'm on 7 which might be the last one. This tea has amazing life in it, at about steep 4 it got so sweet and mild, with a very light fragrance. Might have to make a trip back to Serenity for more (and some for the oolong pass.)

Jun 8th, '08, 18:54

by Salsero » Jun 8th, '08, 18:54

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:You know that can be arranged... I'll put one up in the "show us" thread, but for now...
Thanks for the double treat. Like Victoria, I also am envious of the Show Off photo and now I am envious of the DHP too!

The last few weeks, I have gotten my undies all in a knot about yunomi and chataku, and now I realize I barely have any gaiwan that aren't too big or too ugly or too plain or too stupid or too big or too ugly or too something to use. Thanks for reminding me of my shortage. That's just what I needed! Maybe we need to do a Teaware Box Pass. :twisted:

Jun 8th, '08, 19:37

by Chip » Jun 8th, '08, 19:37

Victoria wrote:
Salsero wrote:
I was thinkin' the same thing.
:)
Chinese dragons and gaiwans...perfect together. If I could, I would buy every one I saw. I like this one because it is white...tea always looks better in a white vessel.

Kirameki shincha...a whopping 1.50 USD...30 cents a steep for a very expensive (37 USD per 100 grams) sencha. As our French friend keeps pointing out...tea really is cheep.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Jun 8th, '08, 19:44

by Chip » Jun 8th, '08, 19:44

kymidwife wrote:I doubt much would change on my tea purchases. Being single with no children leaves me the opportunity to indulge myself within reason, so if I want a tea, I buy it. Of course, my tastes are currently not expensive ones, and so I hope you people don't corrupt me into pricey tea-tasting obscurity!

This morning I've only had morrocan mint, iced... one of my current top favorites... am already on my 3rd large glass.

I've been working on acquiring a taste for unflavored greens... its not that I don't like them, I just don't love them... they don't leave me wanting more. Last night I tried some of adagio's white monkey... first infusion was so mild, I wasn't sure I was drinking anything more than hot water. The second had a bit more flavor than the first, but still just too delicate for me. So, I made some gunpowder, and I enjoyed it a bit more with the stronger flavor and the smoky undertones... but still, I ended up just adding some morrocan mint to it.

Maybe straight-up green is just not my thing.

Sarah
Sarah, I would recommend starting with more leaf...this is a fluffy green tea. Fluffy teas require more leaf to deliver on flavor and aroma.

A teaspoon of typical Chinese black compared to a teaspoon of a fluffy green weight wise...the green might weigh 1/3 as much. Thus you might need 3 times as much leaf by volume. This is just an example...but be willing to experiment.

Many Chinese greens will still be lighter than Chinese blacks no matter what you do. Japanese greens on the other hand might deliver more flavor than any tea.

Jun 8th, '08, 19:52

Re: Bao Zhong and Crape Myrtle

by Chip » Jun 8th, '08, 19:52

GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
Salsero wrote:A sumptuously understated Bao Zhong today with some more Crape Myrtle flowers...
…..Clicking is always an alternative....
This is absolutely beautiful! I suppose I should try my hand at including florals in my shots. Inspiring!
The Maple leaves on the yunomi are the only ones I have, but I have heard that Chip is obsessed with Japanese Maples ... the real trees, not just their depiction on teawarez.
In our yard there are 3 different types of Maple. There's a 25 foot Japanese Maple next to the house that is stunning with tiny pink seeds. I love them too. I've been eyeing that Seiho maple leaf kyusu over at Artistic Nippon. He sold the one I really wanted though. Too slow, as usual. :lol:
True, I have a rather irrational love of all things Japanese Maple (Momiji) including live trees and teaware. My fave Japanese maple species is Acer palmatum which consists of hundreds of varietals and sub species and cultivars.

Jun 8th, '08, 19:58

by Geekgirl » Jun 8th, '08, 19:58

Okay, the DHP finally gave out at 8! although "gave out" means it just started to get weak. I'm sure you re-steep fanatics could have gotten a half dozen more, easily.

Switched to the 1998 Menghai puer I just picked up from Serenity Art here in Portland. Holy moses, this is good. Now I don't know much about puer, except that I've had some bad ones. ptooey! But this... this I could get used to!

Can't remember who on here suggested it, but thanks!