wanted to say hi and is "grassy" considered a nega

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jun 10th, '08, 23:08

wanted to say hi and is "grassy" considered a nega

by laran7 » Jun 10th, '08, 23:08

Hi - I think I have to jump right in and not be afraid to sound uninformed - ( I am

of course)

I just read the conversation about buying a reasonably priced tea bowl or cup -
and watched the video of making tea in the garden - I just came in from putting

some herbs in in a new home - and having my tea outdoors is wonderful again.

I am new to Adagio and started out with the oolong sampler - and I was

surprised at how green (in color) and really delicious the ti kuan yin tea is . The

scent reminds me of playing in the grass as a child, so long ago that I really have

no memory other than this grassy perfume .

Anyway - Hello -

Jun 11th, '08, 00:00

by chrl42 » Jun 11th, '08, 00:00

Hi ^^, welcome to chatroom.

Considering a grassiness, unlike Japanese greens, Chinese teas aren't appraised with grassiness too much. Good Chinese teas are rather of mildness, freshness, shape of leaves, skill of heating process that spans the brewing time longer and good leaves of course. Overall is one that goes to your throat so smooth with an hour of lingering.

Possibility on Tie Kuan Yin's grassiness is when you brew at over temperature but I am not sure on this one, as I am not experienced on that tea too much..

Jun 11th, '08, 00:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Victoria » Jun 11th, '08, 00:23

Hi and welcome! That sampler gives you a pretty wide range of oolongs. After you see how you like the others report back and we can give you recommendations based on your favorites. TKY is really the best of that group in my opinion. The greener oolongs are a favorite of mine and the pouchong and #18 fall into this catagory too.

Greener oolongs will smell grassy, but they shouldn't taste that way. If you say delicious, then I think you did it right. :)

Be sure to stop by the TeaDay forum and tell us what's in your cup!

Welcome!
Victoria
Last edited by Victoria on Jun 11th, '08, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 11th, '08, 00:30

by trent » Jun 11th, '08, 00:30

Is grassy negative?

Depends on the kind of tea and who you're talking too. Personally, I generally don't like "grassiness" in tie guan yin or high mountain oolong, but I love it in Japanese greens.
The answer all depends on personal preference.

Jun 11th, '08, 01:47

by olivierco » Jun 11th, '08, 01:47

Welcome!

The only good tea is the tea you like.

Jun 12th, '08, 04:57

by Trey Winston » Jun 12th, '08, 04:57

olivierco wrote: The only good tea is the tea you like.
Now there's a good tagline for TeaChat.

Jun 12th, '08, 09:21

by Aphroditea » Jun 12th, '08, 09:21

Hi and welcome!!

I will start by noting that oolongs are not my area of expertise, but TKY is one of my favorite teas! It does have a fresh greens scent to me, which I could understand as seeming grassy.

I have found that everyone smells and tastes differently and we tend to pick up on particuarly striking scents and flavors which speak specifically to our own experiences, no matter how subtle that scent or flavor might be. If you have strong and happy memories of playing in grass, then that herbaceous taste might trigger that :)

Bottom line, if you are enjoying the tea, then there isn't a negative :)

As a side, if you check out the Oolong forum you will see a thread about a pass box of oolongs. You might watch that to see how people are reviewing the teas in the box to get an even broader idea about oolong tastes and flavors.

Jun 12th, '08, 21:43

Thanks for the advice -

by laran7 » Jun 12th, '08, 21:43

I found the oolong pass box on the site - that is such a great idea - I'll be visiting to hear people's opinions - of different types.

I never really judged the flavor of a tea before - I just accepted what I got and really did not expect too much. - but I'm getting the hang of this. I had started drinking Darjeeling from a local shop, a long time ago and was over steeping it because I thought it was supposed to taste strong. Now I see that strong might not necessarily mean bitter.

I steeped a Darjeeling twice and the second batch seemed flowery and weak. I really did not like it. ( but if it was the last tea on earth I would still drink it )

:) :)

Jun 13th, '08, 07:17
Scrolling: scrolling

by Proinsias » Jun 13th, '08, 07:17

Strong & bitter or flowerly and weak. Darjeeling brewing is a minefield of middle ways and crappy teas.

If you can get a decent cup of darjeeling with the tea you've got then you're in for a treat if you splash out on some good stuff over the intertron.

+ Post Reply