Wednesday should be TeaDay, 6/11/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

"Tea na" wondered where were you when you discovered TEA?

Home
59%
Work
9%
School
6%
Vacation
4%
With a friend
11%
Another country
2%
Other
9%

Total votes: 54

Jun 11th, '08, 18:03
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 11th, '08, 18:03

RussianSoul wrote:I blend because I have a tin of medium quality sencha and a tin of medium to low quality gyokuro, neither of which I like. Together they produce this amazing blend that I now crave. Go figure! I may have to purchase more of these teas in order to blend them, lucky for me they are inexpensive.

I haven't opened my Kirameki yet. Can't wait!
Ditto. My reason to experiment exactly...low grade gyo can be aweful even direct from Japan. There are reviews on this vendor's site for the lowest grade that rave about it...to me it tastes and smells like (I am sorry...but it does) acute sinusitis (sinus infection) in the Winter. I can't get past this now. Coincidentally, since drinking Japanese greens, I have not had my annual bout with this in years.

But somehow, blended with a mediocre sencha...the blend has a depth and taste and aroma that far surpasses the sum of its parts. wooohooo, redeemed Japanese tea.

I guarantee you will love the Kirameki or you can give it to me. :wink:

Jun 11th, '08, 18:07

by Pentox » Jun 11th, '08, 18:07

Chip wrote:
RussianSoul wrote:I blend because I have a tin of medium quality sencha and a tin of medium to low quality gyokuro, neither of which I like. Together they produce this amazing blend that I now crave. Go figure! I may have to purchase more of these teas in order to blend them, lucky for me they are inexpensive.

I haven't opened my Kirameki yet. Can't wait!
Ditto. My reason to experiment exactly...low grade gyo can be aweful even direct from Japan. There are reviews on this vendor's site for the lowest grade that rave about it...to me it tastes and smells like (I am sorry...but it does) acute sinusitis (sinus infection) in the Winter. I can't get past this now. Coincidentally, since drinking Japanese greens, I have not had my annual bout with this in years.

But somehow, blended with a mediocre sencha...the blend has a depth and taste and aroma that far surpasses the sum of its parts. wooohooo, redeemed Japanese tea.

I guarantee you will love the Kirameki or you can give it to me. :wink:
I used to brew gyo the complete wrong way and still it was great. Using sencha temps/times it is nowhere as good as proper gyo, but it's still tasty if you think it's just a sencha.

Jun 11th, '08, 18:19

by ThinkingOutLoud » Jun 11th, '08, 18:19

I will leave off the bold colors, but trust that my birthday wishes to EW and Henley are full of joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually tried an RTD tea today that I loved! Who'd have known???? It's Inko's White Tea, Unsweetened, Hint O'Mint. Really yummy on this really hot day. Very smooth and the mint flavor is not overpowering. The tea is not at all bitter and has none of that gross RTD aftertaste. I'm thrilled to have found one I like, even if I can only get it at the whole foods store 30 minutes away. Alas ....

Jun 11th, '08, 18:39

by Cinnamon Kitty » Jun 11th, '08, 18:39

Salsero wrote:
Katrina wrote:The peonies popped today, but no photos yet. Soon...
Oooo, yes, peonies please!!! I love them so much (and they are such a big Chinese teaware theme), but we can't grow them down here this close to Hell. Too hot.
Ours peonies are just finishing their blooming up here in central New York. I did manage to snap a few pictures of ones that were still in full bloom. We have dark pink, light pink, and white ones. I missed getting a picture of the iris though. We have a absolutely gorgeous golden colored one that blooms right outside our back door.

Image Image

I discovered tea at home from my father. I further fell in love with tea while I was on a school trip to Stratford, Ontario, Canada where a friend and I visited a tea shop.

Today started with Casablanca Twist while at work followed by some iced Apricot Green when I ran out of hot tea. I had a mug of Vanilla Rooibos while taking my cats to get their rabies shots. There will be more tea soon with dinner once I figure out what I want to drink.

Happy Birthday EW and Henley!

Jun 11th, '08, 18:44

by Salsero » Jun 11th, '08, 18:44

Wow, today is turning into such a great bouquet of flowers! Thanks all for posting. I love them, and much better knowing they are from your yards instead of the florist.

Jun 11th, '08, 18:52

by TimeforTea » Jun 11th, '08, 18:52

Happy Birthday EW and Henley!!

Jun 11th, '08, 18:59

by TimeforTea » Jun 11th, '08, 18:59

[quote="tenuki"]Two passions fueling each other, some simple Bach and some complex Baozhong for lunch....

Ooh...Tenuki, this is a beautiful picture!!
How long have you played piano?

Jun 11th, '08, 19:14

by tenuki » Jun 11th, '08, 19:14

TimeforTea wrote: Ooh...Tenuki, nice picture!! How long have you played piano?
My mom (music teacher/performer) tried to start me when I was 5. It didn't stick. I self taught it as my third instrument in high school (cello, trombone) but never learned to sight read with any facility. Then I went and played in rock bands out of college (guitar) till I was 30 and did some fender rhodes and midi keyboards then too but no piano. A few years back I finally got a piano back in my house and made a commitment to learn to sight read. I really really suck at at. lol. :D But I play by ear ok to please myself, love jazz ( learning to read cord charts too now, woot ). Monk is my hero ( uh, that is lead voicing, not a wrong note, really ).

Do you play?

Jun 11th, '08, 20:12

by auggy » Jun 11th, '08, 20:12

Chip wrote:
GeekgirlUnveiled wrote:
auggy wrote: And I've already brought one of them home:
Wowowow! I love this iris. I have 5-6 varieties in my front yard, and plan to plant a LOT more when I get around to the landscape on the side yard. We have a pathetic and ugly landscape right now. Big project, I'll probably be old(er) and grey(er) before it's finished.!
NO...WOOOWWWWWWWWW! This is clearly a highly bred one. Iris are such complicated flowers both botanically and horticulturally.

I have no idea why I don't have them in my yard, a shortcoming that will have to be corrected.
It is a dwarf iris called "His". There is also another one with reversed colors called "Hers" that I eyed but didn't get. I have a lot of clean up work to do to separate and (hopefully) group my current irises. But I love my irises - I aim to get the hardy ones and they are just so easy to deal with - and LOVELY when they bloom.

BTW, Dell totally sucks. :evil:

Jun 11th, '08, 20:14

by Salsero » Jun 11th, '08, 20:14

auggy wrote: BTW, Dell totally sucks.
Oh, poor baby! Vent please.

Jun 11th, '08, 20:25

by auggy » Jun 11th, '08, 20:25

Salsero wrote:
If I start venting, I'm going to cry. And that sounds totally wussy, but I don't care. I'm so mad at Dell and getting jerked around by them day after day. Supposed to be "next day on-site service" and they were called Friday and it still isn't done. :evil: :evil: :evil: And I've had a crappy weak even excluding the my-laptop-is-an-effing-brick issues and I'm also apparently having major issues about the vet trip Monday and keep freaking about about Nibby dying even though it has been two months and I feel like I should be better.

The only good thing about this week has been tea related - I got the tea pass box yesterday and a Special Teas order today which included my first yixing.

And dammit, now I'm crying. I hate this week. I need more tea.

Jun 11th, '08, 20:31

by Chip » Jun 11th, '08, 20:31

auggy wrote:
Salsero wrote:
If I start venting, I'm going to cry. And that sounds totally wussy, but I don't care. I'm so mad at Dell and getting jerked around by them day after day. Supposed to be "next day on-site service" and they were called Friday and it still isn't done. :evil: :evil: :evil: And I've had a crappy weak even excluding the my-laptop-is-an-effing-brick issues and I'm also apparently having major issues about the vet trip Monday and keep freaking about about Nibby dying even though it has been two months and I feel like I should be better.

The only good thing about this week has been tea related - I got the tea pass box yesterday and a Special Teas order today which included my first yixing.

HUGS from all of TeaDay to you, Auggy!!!

Jun 11th, '08, 20:35

by auggy » Jun 11th, '08, 20:35

Chip wrote:
auggy wrote:
Salsero wrote:

HUGS from all of TeaDay to you, Auggy!!!
Sanks. *sniff* At some point I'll be less unhappy and grumpy. I promise.

Jun 11th, '08, 20:55

by RussianSoul » Jun 11th, '08, 20:55

{{{auggy}}}

Hugs and flowers to you!

Jun 11th, '08, 21:00

by Salsero » Jun 11th, '08, 21:00

auggy wrote:Sanks. *sniff* At some point I'll be less unhappy and grumpy. I promise.
We love you just the way you are.

Being a guy, I have to make a suggestion. Have you tried calling Dell service to cry to them? It sounds like your problem be getting the local contract guy to move you up the list of priorities. They might be able to motivate him a little more. I had problems with my Dell a few months ago, and they were Johnny-on-the-spot, three days in a row. After replacing everything, we discovered that the problem was my non-Dell monitor, but Dell spent a bunch of money trying to made me happy.