Friday finally...TeaDay, 6/13/08

BYOT! Enter TeaChat here, you never know what you may find!

Organic or not organic...which side of the fence are you on?

Organic tea is for me
15%
Non organic is my choice
11%
No opinion
40%
Other
34%

Total votes: 53

Jun 13th, '08, 03:05
Scrolling: scrolling

Friday finally...TeaDay, 6/13/08

by Chip » Jun 13th, '08, 03:05

WOW...3 straight days of 100 or more TeaDay posts. Yesterday, the single day post record was again broken and stands at 109 at last count. Also yesterday, TeaChatters voted overwhemingly that Tea came first. You can still vote and discuss yesterday's topic.

Welcome to a great day for tea...Friday. So, come one and all and let's all brew and share what is in our cups today, all day. You can also reflect back on you tea day if you need to.

Today's TeaPoll and discussion topic is regarding a controversial subject...organic tea. Share where you stand on this subject. Also, does organic status also reflect a teas taste? Fight nicely!

I am looking forward to sharing TeaDay with everyone today! Bottoms up, refill, repeat many times...

Jun 13th, '08, 03:15

by Victoria » Jun 13th, '08, 03:15

Other for me! Wow, first post! See what a sleepless night can do? Bring you to TD at 12:00 PST

Other - because I will choose organic where I have the choice, but I do not seek out only organic.

Happy Friday Everyone!

Jun 13th, '08, 03:19

Dian Hong and Holly Fern

by Salsero » Jun 13th, '08, 03:19

I don’t know about you all, but this diet of shincha sencha and primo oolong is wearing me down! Too intense. And with Auggy’s computer drama on top of it all, my nerves are frayed. I’m stopping by the Dian Hong Café for some soothing black tea: Yunnan Gold, with its low astringency, notes of hay and chocolate. “Dian” is another (older?) name for Yunnan Province in the mountainous southwest of China, and “Hong” means red, the Chinese name for the class of teas we call black tea in the West. For some reason, we named the teas after the color of the dry leaves, while the Chinese named them after the color of the brewed liquor. BTW, this is a Fall 2006 Yunnan Gold that just seems to get better as it ages.

The ferns are Holly Ferns. As you might imagine, my favorite part of ferns is the spores on the back, so I’ve flipped one over so you can enjoy them too. Click the photo to see the same thing in BIG.

Jun 13th, '08, 03:34

Re: Dian Hong and Holly Fern

by bi lew chun » Jun 13th, '08, 03:34

Salsero wrote:I don’t know about you all, but this diet of shincha sencha and primo oolong is wearing me down! Too intense.
I'm with you. ;)

Edit: Also, organic if the tea is good good, but sometimes being organic is the only thing a tea has going for it.
Last edited by bi lew chun on Jun 13th, '08, 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 13th, '08, 03:45

by Space Samurai » Jun 13th, '08, 03:45

Victoria wrote: Other - because I will choose organic where I have the choice, but I do not seek out only organic.
me too

Jun 13th, '08, 03:52

Re: Dian Hong and Holly Fern

by Chip » Jun 13th, '08, 03:52

bi lew chun wrote:
Salsero wrote:I don’t know about you all, but this diet of shincha sencha and primo oolong is wearing me down! Too intense.
I'm with you. ;)
Ok...this is too easy...like taking candy from a baby.

I strongly recommend that you both send me your shincha which should provide immediate relief. Eh...throw your primo oolongs in there to... :lol:

Jun 13th, '08, 03:59

by tenuki » Jun 13th, '08, 03:59

Space Samurai wrote:
Victoria wrote: Other - because I will choose organic where I have the choice, but I do not seek out only organic.
me too
me three.
Do something different, something different will happen. ( Gong Fu Garden )

Jun 13th, '08, 04:13

by Photiou » Jun 13th, '08, 04:13

So far I have not paid any attention to this. So I choose "No opinion".

Jun 13th, '08, 04:33

by Trey Winston » Jun 13th, '08, 04:33

I'm sure I would choose organic if the teas were otherwise equal, but that kind of choice doesn't come along too often. Quality and flavor take precedence, organic or not.
Trey

Jun 13th, '08, 06:04

by henley » Jun 13th, '08, 06:04

Same answer as Victoria, Space & Tenuki. The taste is more important than whether or not it's organic.
Victoria wrote:Henley, I think we'd all like to get a better look at your avatar pic.
Per your request, here's my shot of Tea on the Beach. Which BTW, tastes better than the other infamous "on the beach" drink. :lol: In the cup was equal parts of Oolong #8 & OBO. In spite of taking 3 different teas w/me, this was what I drank everyday.

Using this cup & saucer has been fun. It's been hanging on my kitchen wall for apr 6 yrs as part of my teacup collection. Finally decided last week to use it for the purpose intended!

Jun 13th, '08, 07:50

by omegapd » Jun 13th, '08, 07:50

No opinion for me. I don't seek out organic teas...

Starting my last day on day shift with some Lapsang tea.

EW

Jun 13th, '08, 08:02

by CynTEAa » Jun 13th, '08, 08:02

tenuki wrote:
Space Samurai wrote:
me too
me three.
Same here! Happy Friday everyone!

Jun 13th, '08, 08:54

by Aphroditea » Jun 13th, '08, 08:54

This applies to my food buying practices as well:

When and where I can, I do get organic. This isn't always possible (so I picked other). I keep being told by people that organically grown products aren't necessarily healthier or better tasting. These are not the reasons I try to buy organic. I buy organic for environmental reasons.

If I had the money and more companies were organic, then it would be my first choice :)

LOCAL and organic is a huge bonus - but here in TX we don't have local tea bushes :)

Oh.....in my cup: Bolero! (The last of it, sadly)

Jun 13th, '08, 09:42

by kymidwife » Jun 13th, '08, 09:42

I'm voting for "other"... because I DO have an opinion, but it's not listed. :wink:

As some of the other posters have noted... I like to choose organic when it benefits the environment, and when I can afford to do so... but, I have rarely noted any benefit in flavor/taste when I've compared, and I know the word "organic" is frequently used in today's consumer marketplace as a marketing ploy, and is not necessarily better or healthier.

My cup is a glass this morning. I'm eating left-over hot curried rice for breakfast, and so I needed something COLD with it.... adagio blend called Southern Peach Cobbler, really nice over ice.

Have a great tea day!

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jun 13th, '08, 09:45

by Victoria » Jun 13th, '08, 09:45

henley wrote:
Victoria wrote:Henley, I think we'd all like to get a better look at your avatar pic.
Per your request, here's my shot of Tea on the Beach. Which BTW, tastes better than the other infamous "on the beach" drink. :lol: In the cup was equal parts of Oolong #8 & OBO. In spite of taking 3 different teas w/me, this was what I drank everyday.

Using this cup & saucer has been fun. It's been hanging on my kitchen wall for apr 6 yrs as part of my teacup collection. Finally decided last week to use it for the purpose intended!
Gorgeous Henley! Thanks!

In my cup this morning a little Assam and some Yunnan Gold.