Multi Functionable Tea Scoop

Let us know if you've found the perfect product for Adagio to sell.

Postby Pentox » Apr 4th, '08, 12:13

soapy wrote:I purchased my spoons at a party a couple years ago now.. I love them! Never had an issue with them...I use them both especially for the smaller increments of spices & herbs which actually lead me to thinking why not for the different teas as a guide but a scoop
I don't' want to weigh out my teas I just want to drink them....maybe why I don't like some of them...
I can't find people to give them away too either....oh well

buy the way when my kids loose the remotes I get up and use the dials!!! I'm certainly not lazy! (I do see your point though ) ;o)

Yeah, the main reason though they're good for herbs and spices though is that most herbs and spices are rather small in size. I.e. powders, dusts, granules, etc. Like imagine if you were trying to use it for whole chili peppers, star anise, vanilla beans, saffron strands, whole nutmeg, etc. It's a bit hard to equal most of those out, which is why recipies call for them on a per item basis. (nutmeg not so much).
Pentox

Postby soapy » Apr 7th, '08, 09:18

yes I totally agree! I use them for smaller items only and their perfect for that reason....
soapy

Postby Chip » Apr 7th, '08, 16:10

Scales rock!
Chip
Mod/Admin

Postby soapy » Apr 7th, '08, 16:35

my new scale will be arriving any day now.. Patiently :oops: .. NOT!

I do have a digital one but doesn't measure .05 or .5 increments..so I've always winged it more or less by eye balling it.
I'm a soap maker so I'm very familiar with weights of all my herbs which also make some ncie flavorful teas....

I ordered a rechargeable one My weigh palm scale.. I hope it's nice!

Do you or anyone else have one? pros/cons? opinions?
soapy

Postby Proinsias » Apr 7th, '08, 16:46

Chip wrote:Scales rock!

If you get a decent digital one with a flat base it should eliminate the rocking, which would make things far more accurate.
Proinsias

Postby TimeforTea » Apr 10th, '08, 14:30

Don't think of it as "dragging out a scale". A scale used for tea is a lot smaller than a scale used to weigh food. There are good posts in teachat on recommended scales--Mary has posted great ones.

Re. the adjustable spoon--I also bought one a few years ago. I did not like it. I found that whatever I was measuring would slip through the indicator. Therefore, I went back to my trusty measuring spoon set.
TimeforTea

Postby Orange Crush » Apr 13th, '08, 16:01

on the adjustable spoons - I used to be a PC "kitchen consultant." I still love those spoons. It's easier than digging for the right size one. I only use them for baking, since in cooking I use the handy dandy "that's about a teaspoon" method. As far as the liquid issue...yeah you'll probably have some seep around the sides, but if you squeeze the top part down you avoid most of that problem.

As far as the tea scoop idea, I kinda like it. I know people like my mother in law who are slowly transitioning from bags would find it helpful. Of course personally when I'm making tea, I use the handy dandy "that's about the right amount" method. Maybe (probably) my tea would taste better if I were more exacting about it, but I get just what I want with as much work as I wanted to do.
Orange Crush

Postby Pentox » Jun 17th, '08, 17:03

Interestingly I did run across one of these today.

Loose Tea Measure
Pentox

Postby soapy » Jul 25th, '08, 08:43

I found it here too
but their currently sold out at the moment

http://sbsteas.com/Loose-Tea-Measuring- ... .html#tabs
soapy

Postby teaguy » Nov 13th, '08, 09:35

Well, this thread has been 'dormat' for awhile, but that's because I only recently joined up!!!

I think the adjustable scoop concept could work very well. It would be similar to the 1/2 bamboo scoops common for gong fu tea, with gradations and a slide to set the depth.

You could then play around with the settings until you find the amount suitable to your personal brewing style, and just remember. For example, you'd know that you set it on "7" for baojong because you need more of the leaf, but only on "3" for oolong.

Using instruments has its place - especially for really studying your teas and how different variables interact. That being said, I'm pretty much in favor of eyeballing everything - that's part of the art of brewing tea. I wouldn't get out a thermometer when brewing for quests, but I sometimes use 2 or 3 together on my own as research tools.
teaguy

Postby Pentox » Nov 13th, '08, 13:13

I still think that a volumetric approach to measuring tea is not the best approach. If you want to apply a tool to your tea measurement, use a scale. If needed use a Spoon Scale.
Pentox

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions