Tea Trends: Notes from the World Tea Expo 2008

Trends and Tips on developing and operating a tea business.

Tea Trends: Notes from the World Tea Expo 2008

Postby criteaque » Jun 19th, '08, 06:49

What happens in Vegas doesn't have to stay there.

Read more about the show at http://www.teatrends.com and feel free to share your comments and impressions from the World Tea Expo 2008 here.
criteaque

Postby jobrien » Jun 19th, '08, 08:42

I thought it was great overall.

There were somewhere around 28X something vendors that attended and just over 4K attendees, down from the 7K they supposedly were expecting or had projected. I think most of the difference was due to the uncertainty of the economy.

At any rate, it was my first time there. I met a lot of folks and got to browse many vendors that I normally would not have the opportunity to do. I also found myself several potential vendors which is very important to me at this stage of my business creation, etc.

The tea cupping room was an outstanding addition. Evidently, it had not been there in the past so it was difficult to try samples. While some vendors were providing samplings of their teas, not everyone was. So the cupping room enabled us to go and grab the samples we wanted and have a place to try them.

Overall, I enjoyed it and I'm sure I'll be back at some point.
jobrien

Postby Victoria » Jun 19th, '08, 09:47

Thanks criteaque! I'm all about the glass!
:)
Victoria

Postby criteaque » Jun 20th, '08, 11:27

jobrien wrote:
There were somewhere around 28X something vendors that attended and just over 4K attendees, down from the 7K they supposedly were expecting or had projected. I think most of the difference was due to the uncertainty of the economy.

Agree - although the specialty tea category is predicted to do comfortably well... Also, I think Vegas (and traveling thereto) has gotten quite expensive, so that might have had an effect on the plans of the less resolute ones.
criteaque

Postby jobrien » Jun 21st, '08, 14:33

Very true...

criteaque wrote:
jobrien wrote:

Agree - although the specialty tea category is predicted to do comfortably well... Also, I think Vegas (and traveling thereto) has gotten quite expensive, so that might have had an effect on the plans of the less resolute ones.
jobrien

Postby CynTEAa » Jun 24th, '08, 07:13

The Expo is always a great opportunity to meet current clients in person as well as potential ones. I found it most encouraging to see clients whose businesses are nicely growing in this uncertain economy. Watching them embrace their growth and develop when they had only been start-up just a year or two ago is really rewarding (and assuring!)

:)

It is also nice to see old (and new) tea-friends!
CynTEAa

Instant Messenger

Permissions