Cold-brewed Gyokuro

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 20th, '08, 08:59

Cold-brewed Gyokuro

by kymidwife » Jun 20th, '08, 08:59

OK... I got inspired to try cold brewing last night. I collect old Pyrex glass decanters from the 50's... very pretty for tea, btw, will have to photograph and post... so anyway, I put gyokuro leaf and cold water in a decanter and refrigerated overnight.

I was surprised at how cloudy it looked, and how there was minimal fragrance... I was really afraid it was going to taste like cold dishwater.

I'm drinking now, and it's quite mild. I think maybe I needed to use a bit more leaf, but I have to say... this is the best green tea I have succeeded in brewing so far. Zero bitterness, great clear flavor, no grassy anything... and I actually really like it cold... I'd only been trying it hot before, other than the flavored for iced tea.

Anyway, thought I would share.

Sarah
***This organic blend is earthy & spicy, with a fragrant aroma & smooth flavor to captivate the senses. Naturally sweetened in the Kentucky sunshine & infused with natural energy. Equally delicious when served piping hot or crisply chilled.***

Jun 20th, '08, 11:53

by trent » Jun 20th, '08, 11:53

Personally, I don't like to leave Japanese Greens out overnight because of oxidation.

This is how I prefer to cold brew:
http://trentea.wordpress.com/2008/06/10 ... ed-sencha/

Jun 28th, '08, 01:30

by inspectoring » Jun 28th, '08, 01:30

trent wrote:Personally, I don't like to leave Japanese Greens out overnight because of oxidation.

This is how I prefer to cold brew:
http://trentea.wordpress.com/2008/06/10 ... ed-sencha/
Sounds good but at room temperature - it may take 3-4 hours for the ice to melt.
ALSO - and this is very important - ice itself will may contribute an unpleasent taste to the tea. Melted ice-water tastes terrible without any tea.

Jun 28th, '08, 01:41

by Sam. » Jun 28th, '08, 01:41

I still gotta try this cold-brewing with some sencha. It sounds interesting for sure!

On another note, it's referred to as "umami," not "unami." I wasn't sure whether the N-version was an accepted alternate so I searched around and I'm pretty sure "umami" is the only correct translation.

Jun 28th, '08, 07:12

by Jack_teachat » Jun 28th, '08, 07:12

I have tried this and I love it, will do it again once I open my next lot of Gyokuro. I usually use about 8-9g of leaf with about 7 or 8 good sized ice cubes and leave it in my pot for about 4-5 hours. I have also tried putting the pot in the fridge for overnight brewing and this I find works even better... a lovely smooth vegetal brew. :D

Jun 28th, '08, 12:24

by inspectoring » Jun 28th, '08, 12:24

Ok - just tried it. Could not wait for 4-5 hours so I just drank it up after ~ 2 hrs. Now as I suspected - the ice does affect the taste. The key is - may be - if we brew the tea with already ice cold bottled water? If temperature is the issue - we can keep the pot in the refridgerator.
Would be now be classified as gyokuro nuts? :D
In any case - I hope someone who knows what this umami taste is - can brew with ice cold water.

+ Post Reply