White Tea: Complete beginner - help.......

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Apr 26th, '08, 10:31

White Tea: Complete beginner - help.......

by Tracey1970 » Apr 26th, '08, 10:31

I have the white tea starter selection, I have a strainer that sits in a mug.

How much white tea would I need to put in the strainer for one mug, I would like to be able to have a cup of white tea at work so have bought this type of strainer, its mesh.

Should I now buy a teapot for the weekend so that I can have more cups, how much tea would you put in a teapot?

Please run me through how much tea for one mug and how much tea for a tea pot and can you put more hot water over the leaves later perhaps to make more tea. I ask this just in case I start throwing it away and wasting the tea.

I have an electric kettle, how long after boiling do you pour the water over the leaves, I read that the water should not be boiling, do you go as far as to take its temperature..

Thanks for any feedback... is there a link that explains all of these things perhaps.. :?

Apr 26th, '08, 10:57

Re: Complete beginner - help.......

by olivierco » Apr 26th, '08, 10:57

Tracey1970 wrote:I have the white tea starter selection, I have a strainer that sits in a mug.

How much white tea would I need to put in the strainer for one mug, I would like to be able to have a cup of white tea at work so have bought this type of strainer, its mesh.

Should I now buy a teapot for the weekend so that I can have more cups, how much tea would you put in a teapot?

Please run me through how much tea for one mug and how much tea for a tea pot and can you put more hot water over the leaves later perhaps to make more tea. I ask this just in case I start throwing it away and wasting the tea.

I have an electric kettle, how long after boiling do you pour the water over the leaves, I read that the water should not be boiling, do you go as far as to take its temperature..

Thanks for any feedback... is there a link that explains all of these things perhaps.. :?

Some indications from a former post
Chip wrote: I usually brew the first steep for 1-2 minutes, maybe a little cooler, 170*. I use 3-4 grams, but have also used 5 grams, per 200 ml (6.8 oz). I then increase brew times and temps with each successive brewing. Yin Zhen should yield 3-5 steeps w/o any problem if it is fresh and good quality.
For temperature control, every time you pour hot water into a cup, its temperature decreases about 10°C (about 18°F)

Apr 26th, '08, 18:23
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 26th, '08, 18:23

BTW, the 3-4 grams quoted is a lot of leaf by volume for white tea...easily 2 tablespoons. With this amount of leaf per 200 ml which is about 7 ounces, the 1-2 minutes worked well for me. This was very good quality and fresh white tea.

If you choose to use less leaf, increase the time accordingly.

Some people seem to use hotter water than I do as well...again, hotter water will directly affect brew time.

Moderator note. I locked the other very similar topic so we can focus on this more comprehensive topic. Hopefully Wes will post here as well.

Apr 26th, '08, 20:22

by Wesli » Apr 26th, '08, 20:22

That's a good question, and it really depends. You're going to want to experiment and find what's best for you. You can try starting with my method of 180°f water, 5-minute steep time. In my mind, I'm imagining a standard coffee-mug. For that, I would 1-2 tablespoons of tea. If it turns out too light, add more leaf.

I highly recommend investing in a thermometer. You can probably use any cooking thermometer you have in the kitchen.

Good luck!

May 1st, '08, 13:00

by inspectoring » May 1st, '08, 13:00

I agree...get a thermometer...I use a 5 $ one from starbucks and it works perfectly for all - Matcha, Sencha, Gyokuro, oolong etc...
You really don't need a water heater....just take a cup and put it in the microwave...I know for me about 1 minute gives me water that is 160 deg...and does a fantastic job....

Jun 23rd, '08, 10:27

by elchai » Jun 23rd, '08, 10:27

Im trying to give white tea a chance...but it just doesn't do for me what green or black does. Never tried Oolong or any of those others, Im new at this. Anyway, I had tried a white mango in a bag from Lipton or something a couple of years ago, and was kind of impressed.

So, I got the White tea flavor sampler from Adagio and Im just not crazy about it. I think Im doing everything right as far a steep time and temp. And I have played with the measurements. Yesterday, it even gave me a little bit of a nauseating feeling.

I think what Im figuring out is that just coming from teabags, Im used to that big power burst of flavor that Im not finding in the loose teas, and I guess the black and green have a stronger flavor. I guess Im not finding it strong enough for my taste buds and I think when it gave me that nauseating feeling was because it was too strong.

Any thoughts or advice?

Jun 26th, '08, 23:46

by Marky » Jun 26th, '08, 23:46

Yesterday, it even gave me a little bit of a nauseating feeling.
You may want to try rinsing the leaves for 30-45 seconds in 180 degree water and then brewing for 3-5 minutes in 180 water. I find that rinsing reduces any grassy taste and the tea has fewer little "hairs" from any silver needles in the tea. Those leave me a little queasy sometimes. Of course it could be that you just don't like white tea. It's not for everyone. Good luck!

Jun 28th, '08, 09:28

by elchai » Jun 28th, '08, 09:28

Yes, Im beginning to think its just not for me. I may put it in the tea swap when I am eligible if something doesn't change by then... :D

+ Post Reply