Year to Year ?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Dec 22nd, '05, 10:40

Year to Year ?

by vbguy772 » Dec 22nd, '05, 10:40

I've sampled over 30 adagio teas - blacks. flavored blacks, rooibus, whites and flavored whites. I'm looking forward to trying the oolongs with my next order. My goal is to narrow my selectiion to about 10 teas because of storage issues. So far I have found many adagio teas that I will always keep on hand ( darjeeling #22, keemun encore, white peony, white peach - to name a few.)

My question is this: How consistant will my favorites be from year to year? I'm sure there will be a slight difference and that's not a bad thing. But when I order my next batch of darjeeling will it be somewhat close to what I already love or should I be expecting something very different?

Happy sipping...........

Ron

Dec 23rd, '05, 12:13
Adagio

by ilya » Dec 23rd, '05, 12:13

Good question. Tea is similar to wine in that it is a seasonal crop, and thus, influenced by a number of factors like rain, temperature, etc... This means that some years are better than others. We make all effort to only purchase the best teas whn the new crops are available, but occassionally you will notice a difference in taste.

By the way, this is what happened to 'white darjeeling' this year. The weather conditions in that particular estate were unkind, and thus we decided to pass on it. Hopefully the '06 crop will have better luck.

Dec 23rd, '05, 16:00

by vbguy772 » Dec 23rd, '05, 16:00

ilya - Thanks so much for the reply. I'm sitting here eating one of the cranberry-pecan scones I just made while sipping a great cup of adagio darjeeling #22. Yummy ! I actually prefer this to the darjeeling # 2. Lucky me ! For once in my life I like the less expensive one better. I can't wait for my 4th order to arrive next week. You guys must have been swamped the last few weeks ! Thanks again for the great teas and wonderful service. Happy Holidays !

Happy sipping,

Ron

+ Post Reply